New Expansion: EverQuest: Rain of Fear

Problem is that you're trying to cater to a different breed of gamer. Gamers now-a-days have ADD. They want instant gratification. They no longer have the patience for 100+ hour single player RPG's. Why do you think the majority of RPG's sold for PC and console have around 30-40 hours of play time, when old school RPG's had over 100?

Okay, you're gonna have to name a few. Old school RPGs were a lot simpler and easy to run through than they are today. I finished the Bard's Tale 1, 2, and 3 in a weekend....while still going outside, playing in a football game on Saturday, going to the victory party, and then going to church on Sunday. Legacy of the Ancients? Wizardry? All finished quickly. Now maybe you mean something more current than that? Richard Garriott's self-fellating series, Ultima, often took long periods of time but that was because he liked to build things in that forced you to slow down (the village of children in Ultima 7 comes to mind). Arena went by quickly but Daggerfall, now there's a 100+ hour game (and they haven't slowed much with the following games). But those are the exception, not the rule.

So now you've got a) gamers who had the patience to go through a slower paced game who now have jobs and can't dedicate the massive time to it, and b) gamers who have ADD and won't dedicate massive amounts of time to it. Sony is marketing to the changed market.

In my experience, there's a third group. Since the start of the Digital Revolution, many sales/service oriented companies have found they can save tons of money....by having their people work from their homes. These people can often play inordinate numbers of hours (on paper). This trend will expand as more companies see that paying for an employee's internet is a helluva lot cheaper than paying for office space to house said worker to do the same job. This group is small, but it'll probably be a lot bigger in the next ten years.

I do agree with you but I would say the problem is actually for more complex than just that. As a society we have been changed by the proliferation of digital devices. The world has sped up because of this, and it's created an entirely new mindset of now, now, now in everything, not just gaming. Do you still get a newspaper or do you get your news via RSS feed, or just trolling websites? Do you only get your movies via going to the theatre or renting a tape from Blockbuster, or do you have Netflix, Amazon VoD, or pirate everything you want? As a society, we want it faster, and gaming is just one aspect of that. You can even see the transformation taking place in table top games. How different is D&D 4th vs. AD&D 2nd? And the majority of the changes are, by the designers own admission, about speeding up the game play. They say so that there is more time for story, but in the end it becomes another symptom of the larger problem, that we cannot slow down and enjoy what we are working towards without a shiny pellet of reward every 5 mins.

When EQ was being designed, the standard portable music player was a discman. Perhaps a walkman if you preferred tapes. When was the last time you saw tapes sold in a retail store? What was old and worked in 99 will not work now. It just won't. The world is far more changed in the last 15 years than it was in the previous 15 years. And even then there were a ton of changed ins 1982-1997. VHS, CD, Birth of the internet, Fall of the Soviet Union, and more. This is what annoys me about people that beg over and over for a "Classic" server. Yeah, I enjoy nostalgia when I start on a Progression server, but my life is far more complicated now than it was in 99. And frankly, the strength of EQ back then was in late teens and early 20s college students becoming obsessed with the game. And that is just not going to happen again, unless you can create a game that speaks to what the current generation wants. What they really want.

All true. Makes me sad sometimes. Then I pull out my Google phone (landline? wtf is a landline?), OpenTable myself a reservation, HotelTonight myself a room for the night, then watch the end of the Yankee game (or the start of a movie via NetFlix). Would I give up all the various conveniences we've gotten over the last 13 years for a "classic" experience? Would you?

Yea, I cried when 4th edition came out for D&D... But, it's what sells now. I tried progression servers for awhile, but that old feeling wasn't there, and honestly, I was too used to live servers that progression servers just seemed pointless to me. I couldn't get excited over scoring a Cloak of Flames like I used to. That feeling of accomplishment was gone, since I've already done it.

It's true that EQ has a massive amount of content, but really, there's nothing of value if you go back beyond 1 or 2 expansions. Even when the new expansion comes out, there'll be no reason to go back beyond HoT. There's no feeling of accomplishment by going that far, it's just a rush to get to the end level and raid end content so you can again feel like you accomplished something. The whole journey to get there has lost all it's meaning and become a nuisance more than an accomplishment.

Also true, but it's the price of progress. If you ask your parents and grandparents about what they felt were great accomplishments, I'm sure you'll find parallels (I sure did). My mother was 35 when she bought her first car (a brand new 1975 Oldsmobile Omega hatchback). I was 18 when I bought my first car ('87 Mercury Topaz. Shut up! :p). Having your own home phone (and not the typical shared line of the day) was HUGE way back when. Now? When I was stationed in Alameda back in '92, no rental car company (except General Rent a car) would rent to people under 25 (I was 19). So hitting 25 was somewhat of a milestone (though not nearly as much as 21). Now, you pay a surcharge (often amounting to more than the daily rate of the damn rental) and you can rent a car as young as 18. In investment terms, there was a time when a company had to produce profits to be considered a 'bellweather'. Now, you have companies that haven't even recorded revenues yet being cited as 'the company to watch' using the "They haven't done it yet, but they're gonna..." line of thinking.

As the times change, so do milestones and accomplishments and focuses (foci?). Progress basically forces us to change our criteria simply by its very nature. There are ADULTS today who can only vaguely remember what came before Facebook (it was MySpace, Mr Amnesiac) or don't remember cell phones being briefcase sized. You can say, "Oh, they were only 6 or 7 back then" but then ask yourself, does the typical 6 or 7 year old today know about cell phones? It's just progress. Although, I have no idea what accomplishments people will cite in MMOs nowadays. Since "everyone" can get to max level in a week or two, that can't be it. Raids aren't it because they're all 'content on demand' now. I'm sure many of you remember half the fun of killing some mobs back in the day was getting to the mob first. Hell, on some servers, that was more than half the battle (hi Sev and Ragefire 1.0!) since the mob wasn't particularly difficult. Now it's queue up, run through script, do loot (at least in EQ. In many other games, this step doesn't even exist since everyone gets something), log off. I still have memories of spending almost 18 hours in Vex Thal the first time we got there. We had to. If we left anything up, one of the other guilds farming VT would've killed the rest!

Anyway, more on topic (and less old man, GET OFF MY LAWN, ya n00b whippersnappers!) I'm looking forward to seeing what the EQ devs can come up with to keep EQ compelling. My expectations are low, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Okay, you're gonna have to name a few. Old school RPGs were a lot simpler and easy to run through than they are today. I finished the Bard's Tale 1, 2, and 3 in a weekend....while still going outside, playing in a football game on Saturday, going to the victory party, and then going to church on Sunday. Legacy of the Ancients? Wizardry? All finished quickly. Now maybe you mean something more current than that? Richard Garriott's self-fellating series, Ultima, often took long periods of time but that was because he liked to build things in that forced you to slow down (the village of children in Ultima 7 comes to mind). Arena went by quickly but Daggerfall, now there's a 100+ hour game (and they haven't slowed much with the following games). But those are the exception, not the rule.
Final Fantasy 1-6? Baldur's Gate 1 and 2? Dragon Quest (most of em), Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana? Keep in mind I'm talking about first play throughs, not people going through after the fact to do the lvl 1 challenges or speed trials or any of that. All these are games from 1990-2000, consistent with the release of EQ Classic.

All true. Makes me sad sometimes. Then I pull out my Google phone (landline? wtf is a landline?), OpenTable myself a reservation, HotelTonight myself a room for the night, then watch the end of the Yankee game (or the start of a movie via NetFlix). Would I give up all the various conveniences we've gotten over the last 13 years for a "classic" experience? Would you?
Hell no, just like I'd prolly quit EQ if they took out PoK. I'm too used to it and really don't wanna run the long way through 14 years worth of content X.X

Although, I have no idea what accomplishments people will cite in MMOs nowadays. Since "everyone" can get to max level in a week or two, that can't be it. Raids aren't it because they're all 'content on demand' now. I'm sure many of you remember half the fun of killing some mobs back in the day was getting to the mob first. Hell, on some servers, that was more than half the battle (hi Sev and Ragefire 1.0!) since the mob wasn't particularly difficult. Now it's queue up, run through script, do loot (at least in EQ. In many other games, this step doesn't even exist since everyone gets something), log off. I still have memories of spending almost 18 hours in Vex Thal the first time we got there. We had to. If we left anything up, one of the other guilds farming VT would've killed the rest!

Yea, but by the same token, if sony went back to contested spawns, do you think people would REALLY be happy with it? It's just a change in mentality. There's no pride in taking down something that's contested anymore, I think we've gotten selfish and greedy as gamers, its just another nuisance to people.

I realized for me, it was after DoDH that I stopped feeling any sense of accomplishment in the game, but that was more of a personal thing than anything. Now it's just a matter of staying useful to whatever group of friends / raid force I belong to. I don't care about being top dog anymore, in any aspect of the game.

I mean we've gone through annoying keying (Vex Thal / Sleepers), Flagging (PoP), contested spawns (Classic - GoD); those, I felt a sense of accomplishment, honestly. GoD, my guild wasn't anywhere near a top guild, but when we finally beat Uqua, I felt proud as hell. I was happy, excited. When I got my Epic 2.0 in OoW it was like feeling a piece of my soul coming back to me. When I checked Magelo stats and my name was #1 game-wide for AC, I was doing a happy dance, and took a couple of my EQ RL friends out for dinner.

Now, Alaran is really no different than flagging tasks from PoP honestly (do tasks (on demand)), get language, get more check boxes in your achievement window, yet we all groan at doing them. I'm at 100 Alaran in 2 weeks and I've beaten all the raids, yet I feel no sense of pride or accomplishment. And I honestly have no idea why.

X-com, AD&D Gold Box Series(12 or so games), Eye of the Beholder series, VtM:Redemption, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1+2, and if you start talking consoles, Final Fantasy 1-7, Phantasy Star, and many more. Hell I probably put at least 50 hours into Super Mario RPG. The point being that these types of games will not work in todays gaming environment, except as an exception to the rule, like Elder Scrolls.

In my experience, there's a third group. Since the start of the Digital Revolution, many sales/service oriented companies have found they can save tons of money....by having their people work from their homes. These people can often play inordinate numbers of hours (on paper). This trend will expand as more companies see that paying for an employee's internet is a helluva lot cheaper than paying for office space to house said worker to do the same job. This group is small, but it'll probably be a lot bigger in the next ten years.

I am one of those people. I work exclusively from home. I have time to game here and there. Work is never constant. However, work also comes first and just because I may have pulled a T4 named in Sepulcher, if work calls, it gets priority. Because of this I tend to stick to games that I can pause, or even close while working. I fail to see how this equates to more time for quality gaming. It's more like more time for Facebook gaming, and I abhor Facebook games.

Of course not. And that wasn't the point I was making. Our society has moved past the point where slower is better. The kids that are being raised today will not think a 32 hour Stormfeather camp is a fun or good or necessary thing. They will simply refuse to do it, or ask for it to be changed. Those kinds of things are already pervading MMOs as a whole. That is what I meant by the companies needing to find what the new crop of gamers, 14-25, really want out of their gaming experience. Many say they want harder. Well, what does harder mean? Is Inferno in D3 harder? Compared to earlier levels sure. I remember D1 and D2 Hell level. I am of the opinion those were harder than Inferno. Were they really? I am sure part of it is my skewed perspective and how much more I know about gaming. The standards are shifting far more than they ever have in the past, and until the companies and the developers can figure out what those standards are, we are going to be left in a no-mans land of games not really having an identity. And companies trying to eke out ever last cent from them.

Also true, but it's the price of progress. If you ask your parents and grandparents about what they felt were great accomplishments, I'm sure you'll find parallels (I sure did). My mother was 35 when she bought her first car (a brand new 1975 Oldsmobile Omega hatchback). I was 18 when I bought my first car ('87 Mercury Topaz. Shut up! :p). Having your own home phone (and not the typical shared line of the day) was HUGE way back when. Now? When I was stationed in Alameda back in '92, no rental car company (except General Rent a car) would rent to people under 25 (I was 19). So hitting 25 was somewhat of a milestone (though not nearly as much as 21). Now, you pay a surcharge (often amounting to more than the daily rate of the damn rental) and you can rent a car as young as 18. In investment terms, there was a time when a company had to produce profits to be considered a 'bellweather'. Now, you have companies that haven't even recorded revenues yet being cited as 'the company to watch' using the "They haven't done it yet, but they're gonna..." line of thinking.

All true but does that mean we should aspire to what gaming was in 95-2000? While there were many great games from that time, there were many that were not so good. rose-colored glasses only get you so far. It is, or should be, commonly accepted that if EQ was released today, in the form it was in in 1999, it would fail. Hard. Does that mean it isn't and wasn't a great game? Of course not. The standards have changed though. As you go on to talk about in your next paragraph.

As the times change, so do milestones and accomplishments and focuses (foci?). Progress basically forces us to change our criteria simply by its very nature. There are ADULTS today who can only vaguely remember what came before Facebook (it was MySpace, Mr Amnesiac) or don't remember cell phones being briefcase sized. You can say, "Oh, they were only 6 or 7 back then" but then ask yourself, does the typical 6 or 7 year old today know about cell phones? It's just progress. Although, I have no idea what accomplishments people will cite in MMOs nowadays. Since "everyone" can get to max level in a week or two, that can't be it. Raids aren't it because they're all 'content on demand' now. I'm sure many of you remember half the fun of killing some mobs back in the day was getting to the mob first. Hell, on some servers, that was more than half the battle (hi Sev and Ragefire 1.0!) since the mob wasn't particularly difficult. Now it's queue up, run through script, do loot (at least in EQ. In many other games, this step doesn't even exist since everyone gets something), log off. I still have memories of spending almost 18 hours in Vex Thal the first time we got there. We had to. If we left anything up, one of the other guilds farming VT would've killed the rest!

What is accomplishment? It is gaining something you didn't have before. It is bettering yourself. So, what is accomplishment in game? The same thing, applied to your char/toon/avatar. What will those accomplishments be? That really depends on the game. I used to play the hell out of a game called Cadash. It was a coin-op sidescroller RPG game. The only things you could upgrade were your weapon, your armor, and I think your boots. I must have played that enough to have bought my own game. But I didn't even think about that, I had fun in the moment. Fun in the moment is what games need to find again, I think.

Anyway, more on topic (and less old man, GET OFF MY LAWN, ya n00b whippersnappers!) I'm looking forward to seeing what the EQ devs can come up with to keep EQ compelling. My expectations are low, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Considering I am only a year younger than you I find this amusing. As for EQ, I think it's possible to keep it engaging but that time is rapidly diminishing. I hope more for EQNext than I do for EQ but, I'm prepared to be disappointed too.

Remianen, I turned the "MMOBugs Like" system back on, just to like your post.

Long as people don't start liking every post they make(stoneface). The like system is decent.

Makes no difference to me. Just like it is on facebook. It's a neat, yet gimp feature. Who am I to say what someone likes? Or them to me? Let them like every post they read, as far as I'm concerned - it weighs on my opinion one way or the other - zero. ;)

htw

http://randomc.net/2012/09/12/special-report-what-if-sword-art-online-were-written-today/

Check that article out about a recent anime / older novel called Sword Art Online. It's a story about the first players in an MMO getting trapped in the virtual reality, forced to play until they manage to beat the game. Imagine the hell. Log into EQ on the first day, and play until you can clear everything from classic to VoA... Oh yea, if you die, you die in RL.

But the guy actually illustrates pretty well the difference of games 10 years ago vs now.

Would I give up all the various conveniences we've gotten over the last 13 years for a "classic" experience? Would you?

I'm quoting an unattributed quote from a previous post so apologies for also not attributing it!

The answer from a LOT of players is definitely YES. Look at how many people have played on P1999, the classic emu server. Sure, it's ultimately a small number of players compared to how many play "live" but heck it's ONE emulated server. Its success is proof, though, that the classic experience has its attractions and primarily the attractions are because it's difficult and "inconvenient."

The first toon I made was a halfling which I levelled in Misty. I always prefer playing in Butcherblock so as soon as I could I made the long hazardous journey to Freeport and took the boat to BB. As soon as I landed on the dock, someone had trained an aqua goblin to the dock and it killed me. Obviously I didn't even have time to bind. So I had to make the long run all over again. Second time I get past the dock, halfway along the path to Kaladim and I get swarmed by random trash, skells and rats, etc. and killed once more.

Third time's the charm! After two hours of trying I finally make it to Kaladim and beg a bind off another player. Did I enjoy all this "aggravation"? Damn right! It's part of the classic experience! If you can't even imagine any of this being "fun", then yeah stick to current EQ and WoW!

Anyone here who levelled a toon from 1-50 on P1999, like I did, knows exactly what I'm talking about. It was a BLAST despite the occasional elements of sheer drudgery and aggravating shit. They say you can never "go back" but P1999 did offer as close to a "wayback" experience that anyone could get when it came to reliving the original EQ experience.

Now, did I stick around through Kunark, level to 60 and to whatever expansion they're into NOW in P1999? No, I didn't but I'm sure many others have. I did level two other toons to 50 and at that point I got somewhat "burned out" on reliving the past. Especially where the server has matured a lot and there just weren't that many players still making new toons and playing the noobie game.

Classic EQ is not for everyone but it's certainly a thrill for some players. Of course, maybe "you had to be there" so the thrill is mostly for those of us who "go back" to 1999 or 2000 with EQ. But my experience is that there are a goodly number of such players, mainly of whom for some reason are now returning to the game.

Maybe they've all served their "sentences" in "acting like grown-ups" and returning to a time fondly remembered... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
spell info???

typically, how long after the fan faire does ala have the spell info for expansion up on their site?

Makes no difference to me. Just like it is on facebook. It's a neat, yet gimp feature. Who am I to say what someone likes? Or them to me? Let them like every post they read, as far as I'm concerned - it weighs on my opinion one way or the other - zero. ;)

htw

Fool I went to high school with made the like key for facebook. Now what do I win!!!

Glad i quit this game a few years ago. Each expansion was just like the one before. The Grind in EQ has kill most MMO's for me. Eq is dead and has been for years.

It may be dead for some people, but me and a few friends still play and enjoy the game. Is no nearly what used to be, but I don't have time anymore to camp mobs for 24,48 hours or even more for a item. Yes, there is a lot games out there that look nice, I try many, but none really have take me out eq yet...

typically, how long after the fan faire does ala have the spell info for expansion up on their site?

Most of the spell info will be pushed in a patch weeks or months before the actual expansion. If you're lucky enough to get into the beta you already know all the info :)

Most of the spell info will be pushed in a patch weeks or months before the actual expansion. If you're lucky enough to get into the beta you already know all the info :)

You dont need to be in the beta to know spells... they will follow the exact same progression for the last three or more expansions.. eg chanter will get single target haste and current cap+1 and single target mana regen at current cap+3 group haste at cap+5.
Every spell will pretty much look exactly lke an upgrade to a previous version. Course there might put in a new spell per class that is a bit wishful, every AA will be an upgrade whoo hoo and they might put in a new AA per class which will be brought in release date+1 or more months after they ahve got it working. Every bit of loot will be upgrades to what is currently worn if that.

So besides story fluff and new models there really isnt much to a a new expansion. Oh of course new expanson = bugs lots of bugs. So besides story fluff, new models and bugs, every expansions pretty much looks the same structurally without ever seeing in inside of beta.

if only you were wrong

You dont need to be in the beta to know spells... they will follow the exact same progression for the last three or more expansions.. eg chanter will get single target haste and current cap+1 and single target mana regen at current cap+3 group haste at cap+5.
Every spell will pretty much look exactly lke an upgrade to a previous version. Course there might put in a new spell per class that is a bit wishful, every AA will be an upgrade whoo hoo and they might put in a new AA per class which will be brought in release date+1 or more months after they ahve got it working. Every bit of loot will be upgrades to what is currently worn if that.

So besides story fluff and new models there really isnt much to a a new expansion. Oh of course new expansion = bugs lots of bugs. So besides story fluff, new models and bugs, every expansions pretty much looks the same structurally without ever seeing in inside of beta.

If only you were wrong, i wish theyd cut all of us(their long loyal customers) a break and give us something unexpected and new/fresh, the same old stuff just upgraded is getting really old, im s ure it would take some development more so than the (what weve grown to know as) "THE NORM" but i cant imagine we wouldnt all be happy, and i for one wouldnt be dragging my feet deciding if i should even buy the expansion on more than 1 or 2 accounts(if any) or go to test.

Last edited:

So besides story fluff and new models there really isnt much to a a new expansion. Oh of course new expansion = bugs lots of bugs. So besides story fluff, new models and bugs, every expansions pretty much looks the same structurally without ever seeing in inside of beta.

If only you were wrong, i wish theyd cut all of us(their long loyal customers) a break and give us something unexpected and new/fresh, the same old stuff just upgraded is getting really old, im s ure it would take some development more so than the (what weve grown to know as) "THE NORM" but i cant imagine we wouldnt all be happy, and i for one wouldnt be dragging my feet deciding if i should even buy the expansion on more than 1 or 2 accounts(if any) or go to test.

What could any MMO possibly give that is new or unexpected ? They will keep going with the gear reset model which is safe and easy it retains a big enough % of players that doing anything else is to much of a risk fact is if they did something else and failed you would be the 1st person here bitching about it. People who want something new or fresh don't know what they want nothing is new or fresh now days.

What could any MMO possibly give that is new or unexpected ? They will keep going with the gear reset model which is safe and easy it retains a big enough % of players that doing anything else is to much of a risk fact is if they did something else and failed you would be the 1st person here bitching about it. People who want something new or fresh don't know what they want nothing is new or fresh now days.

New to many is synonymous with OP....

how are you going to tell me what i want and what i would do if i got what you think i only think i want? you dont know me, however , i can assure you you have me catogorized incorrectly. i woould infact enjoy something new off the path of the norm, and i would not complain if they tried something new.