New Expansion: EverQuest: Rain of Fear

Villageidiot

Captain Douchebag
Reaction score
Some SoE Douche said:
Hello Norrath!

There aren't many people that say that they have been involved in a project as highly acclaimed as EverQuest. Fortunately, I am one of those few people that can. Now, in my fourth year with the team, I have the distinct pleasure to announce the latest expansion for EverQuest: Rain of Fear™

EverQuest celebrates an unprecedented 20th major game release with the Rain of Fear™ Expansion. Thirteen years after the initial launch of EverQuest and 19 expansions later, Rain of Fear™ continues an exciting storyline that started two years ago with the mysterious House of Thule™ Expansion, and continued in Veil of Alaris™.

You and your friends destroyed the newly created god, The Triumverate, causing an explosion that rocked Norrath and released the stolen power of fear. This power is returning to Norrath, falling from the sky in the form of crystalline shards. Who will gain control of the essence of fear and bring balance between good and evil?

The Harbingers of Thule entreat you to gather the essence of their lost god before it falls into the hands of others. You will uncover the mysteries of the giant crystals that have fallen to Norrath, explore newly discovered lands, revisit the frozen wastes of Velious, and battle old foes empowered by shards, confront them and reclaim the power of fear.

Along the way you will progress up to the unprecedented level of 100! We're pretty excited to see the first character reach level 100 in EverQuest, a true gaming landmark.

We will also be adding a few amazing features to this classic game. We will be adding a way to track your relative aggro level. Ever wanted to know when the bad guy was about to turn around and mash your rogue before it happened? With the new aggro meter if you get caught over-aggroing, you'll have no real excuse. There are also new Collection and Hunter Tasks; these will allow you to gather up various items all over Norrath as well as track your kills to gain new titles and new rewards. Want to become the Gnollslayer? Gnomeslayer? Now you can. We will also be making some major improvements to the brokering system. The Autonomous Brokering system (name may change if people continue to have issues pronouncing it...) is something that you have asked us for, something that we've wanted to make for you, for years. You will be able to turn off your computer and keep your trader up in Bazaar!

This is an exciting expansion for the EverQuest team, we hope it will be just as exciting for our customers as well. Thanks for playing EverQuest!

T -Thom Terrazas aka, Phathom
On behalf of the EverQuest & SOE Team

Taken from Here

Yay for more crap.

Oh waaahh.. cry me a river.. What is the problem with getting more levels? Waaaah we have to level up! we don't want to grind levels we want to grind AA because grinding AA is better than grinding levels!! Waaaaahhh

Fucking lame..

WRT announcement, It's about time for offline trading. New titles and achievements are really one of their selling points? Really? This promises to be a pretty weak expansion if that's all they have to say.

Oh waaahh.. cry me a river.. What is the problem with getting more levels? Waaaah we have to level up! we don't want to grind levels we want to grind AA because grinding AA is better than grinding levels!! Waaaaahhh

Fucking lame..

WRT announcement, It's about time for offline trading. New titles and achievements are really one of their selling points? Really? This promises to be a pretty weak expansion if that's all they have to say.

They could just make levels actually hard to get mass exp required. wait then people cry it takes to long. people want instant gratification so 5 lvls and 1500AA to go with them.

Or maybe they can just make it kill one mob and get 50 AA each time.. people will max out in no time., But each mob only gives 1/10000th of a percent of regular XP. I recall the devs saying a while back they can manipulate the xp amount for AA and regular independently now.

More info: http://www.everquest.com/expansions
Level cap increase from 95 to 100 – Achieve a new max level of 100 and set a new standard of gameplay.
Hunter System – Gain special rewards and titles for defeating large numbers of foes.
Aggro Meter – A brand new tool to help better manage your aggro. You can now see your aggro level relative to your group.
Collection System – Discover items throughout Norrath and collect sets for exciting rewards and titles.
Improved Brokering System – Sell items in the Bazaar while being offline! More flexibility as a buyer to search and purchase from anywhere in the world.
New Linear Item Progression – Stats on armor collected will increase as you move up from one tier to another.
Customization with non-visible armor – All non-visible armor in Rain of Fear can be worn by all. You'll be able to customize your stats for every encounter.
Class-specific stat distribution – Collect items that are designed specifically for each classes' abilities.
More than 1800 New Spells (Ranks 1, 2 & 3) – Exponentially add to your spell arsenal.
More than 550 AAs – Elevate your power and abilities like never before.
More than 3500 New Items – Create your own identity with thousands of new items.
More than 3000 New Tradeskill recipes – Increase your value across Norrath by creating items only available by your craftsmanship.
More than 110 Quests – Challenge your skills and gather useful loot.
13 Raids – Collect valuable rewards from all new adventures.
9 Zones – Be the first to discover untouched lands of Norrath.
19 Missions – Experience intriguing lore and immersive Missions.
Continued opportunity to kill off Halflings.
Legends of Norrath™ – 5 Digital Booster Packs.

Oh and FYI, from same expansion thread:
http://www.soe.com/player-studio/

I just don't think they need to add levels to add content. I'm here for the content, not for a boring EXP grind. Despite it's name, I can't level up doing content and quests. Most of my guild finished the VOA content (excluding repeating content to get achievements) long before they hit 95, let alone grinding out new AAs.

Cool! Hehehehe Uhhh uhhhh Heheheheheh!

Level 100....

Cool!

no more expansion for gc

same w no more subs for gc

lvl increase is done by alot within the 1st week for the hard core and within 2 weeks for most commited raiders, AA when ever u can

If u did all of VOA and you didnt get 95 1st, no offense but your lucky and a jackass (lucky cause yea most 91s werent rushing getting post 90 lang done and a jackass cause, really going after t4 missions and not having your lvl and spells done.....)

Last edited:
I just don't think they need to add levels to add content. I'm here for the content, not for a boring EXP grind. Despite it's name, I can't level up doing content and quests. Most of my guild finished the VOA content (excluding repeating content to get achievements) long before they hit 95, let alone grinding out new AAs.

Ya because people like you were the same ones bithcing UF was too hard. You seen what you get with no level increase content too hard to beat for 90% of guilds.

The automated bazaar about fucking time soe.

Last edited:
I'm always surprised how much griping follows announcements of new expansions. There appears to be a decent amount of new content in this expansion. I'm never clear about why people gripe about new raids, new zones, new gear, new levels, new AAs and new spells. Those are an essential part of the lifeblood of survival for any on-line game: NEW STUFF! The year that Sony announces NO new expansion is what we should worry about.

The problem is with people who always have to "win" EQ, i.e. be max level, have max AAs, posssess a "complete" spellbook, etc. Y'all should just appreciate the fact that the game still has life.

One thing that does worry me a tad is how much of this new stuff will have to be bought with cash in the Marketplace store, cash beyond what the expansion itself will cost. That's a worrisome trend...

Last edited:
Hunter System – Gain special rewards and titles for defeating large numbers of foes.

Sounds like this might actually be kinda fun, assuming they did more than just "Slay 50000 gnolls to get the title. Hope they spent time and gave a little story behind it, as well.

Aggro Meter – A brand new tool to help better manage your aggro. You can now see your aggro level relative to your group.

This sounds like it could be freaking win, and who knows, might even be crazy beneficial for people writing macs in getting our dps classes to burn right up to the max without stealing agro from the tanks.

Improved Brokering System – Sell items in the Bazaar while being offline! More flexibility as a buyer to search and purchase from anywhere in the world.

Bout time, crazy hurray!

New Linear Item Progression – Stats on armor collected will increase as you move up from one tier to another.

That could be kind of cool. Get your suit of t1 armor, then as you progress through the tasks and raids, your armor powers up. Or maybe it'll be like your gear goes up and down in power depending on what zone you're in? That could suck =P.

Customization with non-visible armor – All non-visible armor in Rain of Fear can be worn by all. You'll be able to customize your stats for every encounter.

Somehow I'm kinda crying over this because it puts more competition on loot. But then again, what do I care for group content, if I really want something, I'll just box it =P.

Class-specific stat distribution – Collect items that are designed specifically for each classes' abilities.

So wait, this contradicts the previous line item....

wont work i guess

was already said

Sounds like this might actually be kinda fun, assuming they did more than just "Slay 50000 gnolls to get the title. Hope they spent time and gave a little story behind it, as well.

This sounds like it could be freaking win, and who knows, might even be crazy beneficial for people writing macs in getting our dps classes to burn right up to the max without stealing agro from the tanks.

Bout time, crazy hurray!

That could be kind of cool. Get your suit of t1 armor, then as you progress through the tasks and raids, your armor powers up. Or maybe it'll be like your gear goes up and down in power depending on what zone you're in? That could suck =P.

Somehow I'm kinda crying over this because it puts more competition on loot. But then again, what do I care for group content, if I really want something, I'll just box it =P.

So wait, this contradicts the previous line item....

Good Points and from what others said too!

It maybe good and i can enjoy playing again!! or be a flop... but if i get to see a character at lvl 100 ill be a very happy camper.

By that time i will feel i have got something done in EQ!~ yay!

Wasn't the original level cap 50 ?

Yes. And without knowing the ins and outs of the game like we do now, it took a lot of hard work to get to. Hitting 50 felt like a serious accomplishment.

"serious accomplishment" - That is what is lacking in most mmorpg's nowadays and to some extent even EQ, its a love and hate relationship. Love it if you have the time , hate it if you don't. I do miss those days where the game felt very immersive and you felt proud of your character's accomplishments, EQ still holds that over other mmorpg's I've tried over the years, but it slowly fading. Maybe leveling from 96 to 100 wlll feel like hell levels again :eek:

Ya because people like you were the same ones bithcing UF was too hard. You seen what you get with no level increase content too hard to beat for 90% of guilds.

The automated bazaar about fucking time soe.

UF just like GOD, made me Cry, but i trudge thru it and sometimes go back to this day as a 95 toon to see if i can solo it.

every time that fucking survey poped up i clicked NO leveling and harder content
harder content make u DICK BIGGER AND your VAGINA WETTER, and make u a better EQ player.../oh well

hopefully they did not fuck this expansion up to much

would love to see:
1. locked zones........like HOT...
2. mobs RAPING players; ....../ooc OH shit that mob hitting me for 18K
3. harder content : like GOD and uf
4. more needs to group or Double group to take down mobs

tried doing Bic Quest, found out u need raid force to still take down some mobs for drops, and them raids still kicking players ass to this day @95