Can we get a pre-"improvement" version released?

From a programmer perspective, it's sometimes necessary to just break old/broken shit - sorry, but that's just the way it is.

EQMule is correct in saying fix the core, fix the macros - that's just the way it is going forward.

htw

I'm not disputing things will be better in the end. No doubt they will. I was just asking for a release of the old in the interim to mitigate the pain while the macro writers figure out their issues.

From the viewpoint of non-macro writers, it was working and now it's not. I guess it's all about perspective.

On a personal, positive note, I am learning a ton about macro writing and starting to enjoy it a little bit!

Knowledge is power....especially when it comes to fixing macros. If you don't understand them then you are at the mercy of those that do. The more you learn the less you'll need to use other developers macros and the more you'll learn to make changes that specifically suit your own needs. The MQ2 Wiki has plenty of information regarding Macro TLOs and other user submitted information will likely be crucial in the understanding and development of your own macro. In my sig I have the TLO builder which is 99% accurate for creating your own logic for if statements or to simply get general information from MQ2, in addition to that I have programming books for C++ and Java which explain the fundamental ways that programming is handled. Just reading the first few chapters should be enough to understand the way code in a general sense functions. From there you should be able to use the TLO builder, and Wiki's from Macroquest2.com and here to create fully functional macros. Just don't forget to declare your variables :)

So let me get this straight, you would rather use your broken ass macros and suppress the errors and misspellings, failed logic and bugs which bogs the macro engine down to about 60% speed having to process that crap for no good reason than fixing all that and enjoying 100% working macros which run at full speed? Ok got it.

I gave 2 weeks advance notice at least for this thing. I told people to not come whining about this after the patch, did anyone listen? No.

It's amazing really, I even added a super easy way to see all the errors and exactly which typos and variables where wrong.
This isn't hard to fix people, it's not even that time consuming, I fixed a 10000 line macro myself in like 2 days and I don't even write macros that often.

Sigh.

I get where you are coming from Mule. Really. But look at it from this angle:

I am totally dependent on the bot macro, which its developer has abandoned and is being maintained by someone new who is in the middle of a major life change (moving to Japan). The bot plugin is not sufficient for my uses in numerous ways I don't want to go into because it takes too long. So I need that macro and I suspect a lot of other people do, too.

I don;t have the skills to make the changes to the macro. Hell I can barely get the INIs right. And mindful that RL > EQ, I don't wish to nag 40oz to finish the update to the macro. So I would like to keep using bot.mac and an old build of MQ while 40 gets his life settled and gets about to fixing the macro at his convenience. THen I will happily move to the new macro and new MQ build.

It's not about being a luddite. It's just that while some macro developers like devestator are able to jump on the changes and make them quickly, others cannot. Fact is not everyone can respond quickly even with the notice you gave. They are doing this on their own time, just like you. And no one wants to be a nag and hound the developers to hurry up and update the macro.

I understand the value of biting the bullet and making a needed but painful change, and the tough transition that results. But as a developer you should know that sometimes older versions of software are retained until a smooth transition can be made.

I just want to give a heads up. We see the problems people are having with macros. We are working on trying to help ease the issues for people.

Our current top 3 priority's.

1. Working on a solution to macro problems people are having, especially bot40.mac.

2. MQ2Bot not engaging with a Rogue

3. Improvements to MQ2AutoLogin for session launching.

I am really sorry about the troubles lately.

No need to apologies. BTW, check at the error report I posted with my enchanter. It's non critical but only shows up with the chanter.

Whether a roll out was done today or ten months from now, it will never be a good time.

MQ2 core changes break macro(s). Author must fix macro(s). Users of macro(s) get mad at MQ2 core? Why jump that chain?

No one should be hounding eqmule for anything.

I think you missed the entire point. I can sum it up: 2 weeks obviously wasn't long enough. Macro's people learn to play with and integrate into their play style over the course of years are broken. It could be remedied by releasing two versions simultaneously (even if it's only for a month until next patch at least we could still play at full capacity).

I understand your point about things needing to be upgraded. Not a single person thinks the changes are bad long term. I completely DO NOT expect somebody like mule to keep two versions active for an extended period of time and never would but an interim release for backwards compatibility would be the RIGHT THING TO DO for the people donating and paying subs on a monthly basis that can't proactively fix their own stuff.

I hope any of you that disagree with me can at least understand the frustration. It just doesn't seem to me (could be way off) that extending the old version's life a bit more to mitigate the pain people like me are feeling would be a ton of work. That's a total assumption though because i really have no idea.

I will completely commit to becoming independent of "OPM"'s (Other people's macros). I've started down the road but I certainly wont have it all figured out in the next 1-2 months. As it sits now, things I have been using for 3+ years no longer work and that is awfully frustrating.

I'm willing to help on smaller macro's but I don't use them so if you give me something you have to give me enough information to replicate the problem.

For example someone gave me a macro that assumes you are using MQ2Bot and looks like its a general purpose pulling macro wrapped around it.

Given I know nothing first hand about what mq2bot should be doing, or the macro it self . Its fairly easy to find the undeclared variables. Its the changes to the parser, changes to loops, and other unexpected logic problems that a bear to track down and fix.

Last edited:
I've been using the old afmelee/cleric macros for years..but because I actually tweak and change things I'm able to fix what is changed or broken quickly.

I'd suggest anyone and everyone should be knowledgeable of their macros.

As people have said, " I've used such and such for years." By the same form of logic, you should have also gained knowledge on macros in that time, to either write your own or tweak.

Thank you Eqmule.

I, as well as others in this thread, have offered to help update macros as needed. The problem is most people just keep complaining about the changes and asking for two different versions of MQ2 to be maintained, rather than taking us up on our offer to volunteer our time to fix the problems in your macros.

If your macro is broken, post it here and I'm positive one of us will fix it for you. If you don't feel comfortable posting your code here, you could Private Message it to us.

As others have stated, include exact steps to replicate your problems, and give a general idea of what the macro does.

/if (!${Me.Combat}) /goto :killstart

/if (${Target.ID}) /face fast

/if (${Me.AbilityReady["Backstab"]}) {
/doability "Backstab"

I'm thrilled to death.

I'm willing to help on smaller macro's but I don't use them so if you give me something you have to give me enough information to replicate the problem.

For example someone gave me a macro that assumes you are using MQ2Bot and looks like its a general purpose pulling macro wrapped around it.

Given I know nothing first hand about what mq2bot should be doing, or the macro it self . Its fairly easy to find the undeclared variables. Its the changes to the parser, changes to loops, and other unexpected logic problems that a bear to track down and fix.

If the macro ever /bot off then it won't work because when it's off the variables aren't declared and will error out on line 1 after Sub Main.

/bot off should be replaced with /bot pause.

This happens for every macro with the plugin loaded but in the off position.

Last edited:
This wasn't about macro updates. Again... not the point of my thread at all. It was about proper ways to transition.

Every error I get has been posted and screenshot into another thread by other users. I'm not just here bitching and not trying to do things. I'm actively working the problem by trying to learn to do it myself and by watching other threads where my issues are already posted.

This reason for this thread is resolved so I'm done here. Thanks for the spirited back-and-forth.

/doability "Backstab"

I'm thrilled to death.

While noting that the code is intended as sarcasm, I wanted to point out that /face fast is no longer advised as it makes you look like a bot when you're botting.

/doability "Backstab"

I'm thrilled to death.

While noting that the code is intended as sarcasm, I wanted to point out that /face fast is no longer advised as it makes you look like a bot when you're botting.

You're using mq2moveutils you already look like a bot :rolleyes:

Wanting to learn

/doability "Backstab"

I'm thrilled to death.

You're using mq2moveutils you already look like a bot :rolleyes:

OK, interesting comments, now you gonna enlighten us the proper way I hope :cool: