Wireless Network Issues

peripref

Lifetimer
Reaction score
A few months back I moved and started using an old wireless router and I noticed I'd get like 1-2 second lag spikes pretty frequently. Its never really been a huge problem while playing but I'm starting to notice its messing with my macros and plugins. Autoloot gets hung up from the spikes, was messing around with Dev's magebot and it tends to run into mobs and stand there taking a beating because it didn't notice.

My question is, will this be a problem with any wireless router I have or if i upgrade will the lag spikes go away? It may be possible to run cable across the house but i'd rather avoid it if I can.

what are your net stat numbers when you get the lag spikes?

My ping remains in the 110s to 130's consistantly. The bar starts dropping down to 97-98% before bouncing back up to 100 as if i were starting to LD.

In game mobs that I should have run out of range of will hit me, spells will go off a second or so late. For example when i'm doing lost gnomes, as i'm rounding up pulls i'm often getting hit from stuff I should we well out of range of after i've run past them. and as i'm about to vinelash it casts, mobs still are moving at me, i'll get hit a few times and then it'll go through and they'll bounce back to where they where when the spell should have originally gone off.

Is there a way to hook up directly to the router?
Then you can find if it's your wireless or if it's your actual internet connection.
I would also check if there is newer firmware available for your router, also check if there are updated drivers for your Wireless card.
Hope some of these suggestions help you pinpoint the issue.

sounds more like dropped packets from your provider but it could be your wireless.

I've seen this issue before. I used to have a really shady wireless AP. It was rather old. Explain what model of wireless router you are using? I used to connect upstairs from downstairs internet. It would do this packet loss all the time. I think it was due to length and signal strength.

Wireless is prone to drop outs. Microwaves and wireless phones can do it, as well as lots of other devices. You could try a different channel or upgrade everything to wireless N (probably not a solution for everyone) and find an even less used band.

It can also depend on your OS. I know for a fact Vista64 is known for random lagging, i.e. ping 100, 100, 100, 4000, 100 100 100... and it has to do with the Windows Wireless built into Vista. This has been repaired in windows 7 64, so if that's the OS your running(Vista 64), either upgrade or hardwire to the router.

If that isn't the case then yeah most likely AP is old or might need firmware updates :).

It can also depend on your OS. I know for a fact Vista64 is known for random lagging, i.e. ping 100, 100, 100, 4000, 100 100 100... and it has to do with the Windows Wireless built into Vista. This has been repaired in windows 7 64, so if that's the OS your running(Vista 64), either upgrade or hardwire to the router.

If that isn't the case then yeah most likely AP is old or might need firmware updates :).

That is bullshit, I ran vista 64 on 8 machines and never had lag issues with wireless. The people who complain about lag on vista are typically vista haters are should be ignored. Vista had issues but "LAG" on wireless is not one of them.

45 accounts with at least 4 active eqbc servers ran through vista x64. The only time I had lag issues was ISP related.

Last edited:
No sir, I ran Linksys Wireless G USB adapter, WSUSB600N since Linksys didn't have the drivers our for it(yes or cisco) windows driver took over, installed and recognized, but had bad lag issues because if Vista's Wireless Am I alive timer.
I would get 15-20sec lag issues, when running a constant ping to google, it would show 100, 100, 100,100, 4000, 100 100 100 100 100 3000 etc...It's a know issue with Vista. So it's not bullshit. I liked vista for your info, but love 7 better, more solid os imho. I am only speaking from experience, and not saying it's Vista only, it could be collaborative fuck up from both MS and Linksys/Cisco...

Last edited:
In ability to get drivers to work does not make it vistas fault. the usb drivers were shit and had issues with xp as well as vista 64.

There used to be a problem with some old Linksys routers that could generate a similar issue. This issue could however be resolved by upgrading the firmware on the router.

G

finally got the oppertunity to move the computer and plug it directly into the router. all problems gone. heh just can't leave it in here or i'll be looking for a new place to live (blocking my finace's beloved closet :eek: ) Shes the one that set this thing up, its an old linksys wireless B. But she can't remember the login and pass to get into it so doesn't look like i'm upgrading firmware. I'm just gonna shell out the cash for a new wireless N and give that a go. Worst case it doesn't do the trick, I return it and I buy a ton of cable and go to work in my attic running it.

Thanks for all the input.

Wireless B?? ick..
most commercial routers have a reset button somewhere on them. You usually need a paperclip to press it, and the process varies according to manufacturer. Linksys is often holding the reset button in while powering on the router. You could always look it up online if you wanted to badly enough. I'd make it a doorstop and go get a linksys N and throw ddwrt on it.. but that's just me.