MQNext Bot - Feedback / Interest wanted

devestator

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm messing around on live servers some again after a long time and am piddling some with macros. I'm not looking to write anything to sell or anything like that. I do not have time to commit to any level of support. So, I plan to release whatever I do as open source and would even welcome collaboration on it (would be nice if someone else was a least familiar enough with it that they could update it if I'm not around or available). I'll likely set up a gitlab repo for it soon.

My plan is, this is going to be an LUA based bot written for MQNext. I've already started playing around some and have a basic XTarget based add detection routine, and some utility functions written for having ms precision timers as well as LUA's coroutine functions (pseudo multithreading). I'm starting now to work on a spell parser that will be somewhat similar to how MQ2Bot can automatically determine what spells to use, although I do plan for there to a be a few differences in it. Kind of a merging of how MQ2Bot does it and how my old macros did it. I'm intending on it being a single bot for all classes, rather than having 17 different bots. There will likely be class specific functions for some of the really unique stuff like bard mezzing routines and such, but otherwise now days there is so much overlap in classes I don't think having individual bots is necessary anymore.

So anyway, I'm not sure how many people have started using the MQNext beta that released here, but I wanted to get some general feedback on things people would like to see in a new bot that isn't currently handled or they feel could be handled better than what is available currently. It's always better to try to account for things in the beginning than trying to add or make stuff work retroactively (that is when stuff gets bloated and inefficient like my old stuff did lol) Or if there generally isn't interest or people don't think there needs to be anything better, that is fine too, I'll just keep it as a small hobby project. This will mainly be something I work on in my spare time anyway (probably a couple hours a week at most), so if you are interested, don't expect something immediate. I might have some things that I would welcome help testing soon (like the spell parser), but a fully functional bot would probably be months away.

Some specific help I could use though would be having people to talk with about class specifics. Like if you consider yourself a guru at a particular class and know the best way for it to be played, I'd like to know about it. I'm so out of touch with live EQ, and the shear amount of abilities and such that classes have now days, it's a little daunting for me to try and figure all that out for every class myself on my more limited play time. The melee classes I don't think are too bad, they mostly seem to be spam whatever short reuse abilities you have on different timers and attack. But, like mages for example, is there a particular spell rotation that works best? Last time I really played a mage, there was a nuke that would sometimes give you a buff to make your next bolt do a lot more damage and that was when you wanted to use that bolt (I think it was Fickle fire or something like that). And then during a gift of mana, using the one extremely high mana cost temporary pet. I don't immediately see anything like that anymore though? The mage I have access to is in ToV group gear and with the pet AAs maxed out, is only doing like 50 to 60k dps from a water pet and maybe 20k to 30k dps on a good nuke fight (numbers are while running him on MQ2Bot, and just using whatever MQ2Bot decided to use). Seems pretty low compared to what I've seen other classes doing. So I have no idea if it's due to spell rotation, or if there is really just that big of a gap in aas / higher end gear these days. I've seen warriors doing 400k+ dps though, and necros / zerkers going over 1 mil. Even with my monk which is a class I used to know really well, I'm only hitting 350k - 400k on a big burn. So that makes me think it might be more of a gear / aa thing but it's entirely possible I'm just completely missing something. And knowing about those things that I might be missing is very important for being able to write a bot that will play a class to it's maximum potential.

I rely on bot programs to teach me what spells to use! Thank you for doing this.

Reactions: EQDAB