Video lag issues

Reaction score
I've always been able to deal with this, but after the latest update it's becoming almost unbearable.

When I load EQ without MQ loaded, I can run 8-10 toons with no lag whatsoever. But as soon as I load MQ, I can run fine for about 2-5 minutes, but then all of a sudden, there's huge video lag. Makes even running around a zone really cruddy.

I have tried loading MQ with only the absolute minimum required plugins loaded, as well as using the default UI. I've unloaded my Anti-virus Software, disabled windows defender and firewall, but I still have the issues.

I'm running a pretty beefy system, 2 SSD's, and 3 GeForce Titans with 6GB ram on each video card. I can play any other game with full graphics on (Battlefield 3, 4, Flight Simulators, etc...) and have absolutely no issues or lag.

I'm at a loss at this point as to what else to try. Does anyone know if there are some settings in MQ, Windows, etc that I could try in order to remove this Lag?

Thanks for any help.

I've got a super beefy graphics card (690 GTX) which should be able to run EQ without issues, but I get pretty bad lag too. Not sure what's up. Core i7 2600k @ 3.4 and 16G ram. Going through guild lobby with one toon loaded I can drop down to 10FPS. Not really sure what's up either. Clean install, no antivirus, running off SSD (shouldn't affect video performance unless it's streaming textures from disk that it hasn't loaded).

Would be interesting to hear some ideas.

I run at fullscreen windowed at 1920x(1200 - height of start bar, so like 1120 I think) inside of an innerspace window with limiting at 60FPS foreground.

From myself experience. Three things to avoid the video lag issues

1. Open your eqclient.ini in your EverQuest folder.

Set every CPUAffinity=-1 (that would use every logical core for every EQ instance)
Showgrass=FALSE
Log=FALSE

In-game, type /showname 1 and turn off all opacity.

2. MQ2FPS plugin, try /fps calculate(or absolute). Anyway, one of them would cut your fps at least 10-20 ,you don't wanna that.

3. MQ2AASPEND plugin, NEVER EVA use the classic mode... I spent alot to figure this out...once you use classic mode, your fps could drop from 50 to 20 in a non-crowdy zone..

Are you using wineq2? Found that standard eqgame.exe caused that problem. wineq2 fixed it.

Thanks for the tips, I've already tried all of them as they are the 'standard' when dealing with graphics issues. I was wondering if there was some setting in the MQ.ini itself that I was missing.

I have set affinities for instances, and the amount of graphics turned on/off has no effect whatsoever on the lag issues I get.

Again, it is ONLY when I run MQ. I can run 10+ instances of EQ with absolutely no problem, everything is smooth for an indefinite amount of time logged in. As soon as I run with MQ, that's when the issues start; even when I have just the required plugin to prevent detection from serverside.

Thanks for the tips, I've already tried all of them as they are the 'standard' when dealing with graphics issues. I was wondering if there was some setting in the MQ.ini itself that I was missing.

I have set affinities for instances, and the amount of graphics turned on/off has no effect whatsoever on the lag issues I get.

Again, it is ONLY when I run MQ. I can run 10+ instances of EQ with absolutely no problem, everything is smooth for an indefinite amount of time logged in. As soon as I run with MQ, that's when the issues start; even when I have just the required plugin to prevent detection from serverside.

So did you work anything out? I'm using a gtx780, and after a few hours of 6 instances running, fps drops to 2, whereas the vid card isn't being used above 10% load. It's a frustrating sorta thing. Also, each session goes from using 1-3% cpu load to 8%. Frustrating, eh?

/plugin MQ2FPS unload

Maybe you have some funky setting on the frame limiter.

/plugin MQ2FPS unload

Maybe you have some funky setting on the frame limiter.

Running wineq2, not using mq2fps. Can only run 3 instances without it. Older pc, but still an i7-980X so not lacking in threads. EQ is hard to understand for not so computer literate types. (ie. me)

Hmm. Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but I had left that voice thing active on all accounts since forever, but decided on a whim to turn it off on all instances. 10 hrs, no shitty lag on anything. Didn't even know I had eq voice stuff turned on until I started looking at task manager.

Here's hoping. Will report back tomorrow to see if I'm just lucky.

That voice crap lagged me out before and it would crash on its own. thats the very first thing i do on a new toon is disable it. mq2fps also caused lag for me. but i definitely can relate to the OP, mq2 makes my eq really choppy framerate compared to just have eq loaded.

That voice crap lagged me out before and it would crash on its own. thats the very first thing i do on a new toon is disable it. mq2fps also caused lag for me. but i definitely can relate to the OP, mq2 makes my eq really choppy framerate compared to just have eq loaded.

It's official, screw eq voice chat. Flawless after 22 hours for 6 accounts. Good stuff.

There is a bug in the voice service which condtantly write debugspew to your dbg.txt file until it's several gigs at which point your system will grind to a halt no matter how beefy it is... Always turn of voice in options....

That would explain it. First thing I always do is turn off voice.

/log on during a raid will lag out my top end computer.

No idea how to fix it.

Disk access issue if log is lagging you. Might be controller or your HDD/SSD. Run a full scan with Seatools.

SSD fully passed. It's really weird I can have 10 toons loaded and no lag. One toon on a raid with /log on and it's crappy.

Anti-virus? Do you have real-time protection or the equivalent on? with a file being contstantly written to, that can also cause lag because the AV is constantly checking it.