Video card for EQ

xzav

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wondering what you guys thought the best card for EQ was under 150 or so. I'm looking to build a new computer for around 6-800.

Right now I'm looking at a x1950pro 256mb for 140 better options?

Wondering what you guys thought the best card for EQ was under 150 or so. I'm looking to build a new computer for around 6-800.

Right now I'm looking at a x1950pro 256mb for 140 better options?
nVidia > ati IMHO

why anybody would ever get an ati or amd anything at this point is beyond me

ATI still makes great cards, and OWNED the market untill alittle bit ago. The x1950xt rocked cards twice its price for a long while. Things change, but ATI is still in the game. However, AMD has been down and out for awhile, but Im sure they'll come back

I bought an XFX 8600GT card for my media center downstairs and every once in a while I play EQ on it. It's not an expensive card and it runs great. Search for it on newegg!

Best bang for your buck. I got 2 deals on newegg Intel Q6600 cpu, and Abit p35 590i mobo. For $412. I used my BFG nvidia 7950gtx, from my old rig. I bought 2 of those deals btw. I would suggest BFG for the life time warranty. They refunded me 3 video cards, burnt em up OC'ing them for Ghost Recon 2. A little more $ paid for a BFG but they stand by their product. I would also suggest getting something that will support dx10 but that will put you over the 150 mark. Piece your rig a bit over time, you will find some great deals on newegg.com for $dollars you could piece a nice rig. I fell just above $800 per rig with the quad board. I also suggest dont skimp on the HDD Go SATA and 10000 rpm WD raptor i got 1 for 179$.

and btw, i use a AMD 6000 dual core, w/ nvidia GTX8800 764mb (i think, dont remember) with 3k RAM and it runs eq nice. but i do seem to crash a lot more than i did on my other machine wich had a ATI 9660 w/ AMD 3200. but i can 4 box on my AMD 6000 and barely 2 box on my 3200.

just my 2cp.

the next comp i build i will probably go outside the lines of the AMD..i've always built my comps with AMD and this is the first one i've had problems with.

Some good hints here, too bad I'm loving my lappy.... But I think it's time to build 2 more towers to retire 2 older ones that I'm tired of lag on while raiding...

wtf is westbug?

West BUG is the bug that you get while playing EQ that when you look toward the west everything goes black and you can't see anything. you have to completely log out of EQ and sometimes restart your PC to get it to go away. It is the one thing everyone has been complaining about that SOE says does not exists.

West BUG is the bug that you get while playing EQ that when you look toward the west everything goes black and you can't see anything. you have to completely log out of EQ and sometimes restart your PC to get it to go away. It is the one thing everyone has been complaining about that SOE says does not exists.

SOE has recently admitted it exists. About the only time I've seen it is when running to DPoB. It doesn't happen when I'm not running through thoses zones and not raiding, wondering if its some player + zone type issue...

I run an AMD5200 dual core, 2gb G-Skill ram, 8800GTS. I would highly suggest not going with the x1950 (its an expensive card for not much performance, look up my card in comparison, I paid 230 off newegg shipped after rebate) and going with either an 8800 if you can afford it, or an 8600 (still directx 10 card).

my3dmark1.png

Just like any competitive market the leader always changes. AMD beat the living shit out of Intel all through Pentium 2, 3, and 4.....for speed and stability. The tables have turned as of late especially with Intel's release of the quad-core

As far as a video card goes, it will vary on what you are buying. For $150 you are going to get the same bang for your buck whether you go with nvidia or ATI. You won't notice much of a difference in the leader until you get in to the really high end cards. I personally like Sapphire ATI cards, they seem to be extremely reliable and I have never had one crap out on me ever....my computer is on 24/7 and I never have any less than 2 chars logged in at the same time. One thing to take in to consideration is the temperature of your computer. If your computer room is cool, and your case stays cool ATI will run just fine and be much more quiet. Nvidia tends to have much louder fans but the cooling set up on most Nvidia cards is better than ATI.

Just like any competitive market the leader always changes. AMD beat the living shit out of Intel all through Pentium 2, 3, and 4.....for speed and stability. The tables have turned as of late especially with Intel's release of the quad-core

As far as a video card goes, it will vary on what you are buying. For $150 you are going to get the same bang for your buck whether you go with nvidia or ATI. You won't notice much of a difference in the leader until you get in to the really high end cards. I personally like Sapphire ATI cards, they seem to be extremely reliable and I have never had one crap out on me ever....my computer is on 24/7 and I never have any less than 2 chars logged in at the same time. One thing to take in to consideration is the temperature of your computer. If your computer room is cool, and your case stays cool ATI will run just fine and be much more quiet. Nvidia tends to have much louder fans but the cooling set up on most Nvidia cards is better than ATI.

You notice a big difference in the 150 $ range. lot of those cards are the top of the line from the last last year, and a pretty good difference in performance.

no poop doesn't change the fact that 150$ card now was 400$ card a year ago. So the difference in the cards still apply.

GEEKS.COM = nVIDIA fx5500eq 256mb ddr AGP SLOT CARD 42$ AND THEY GIVE A 10 $ OFF NEXT PURCHASE!!!!!!!

- best for the $$ IMHO