Tax Money!! New Computer!!!

The 930 is the upgrade to the 920, the difference is $10, well worth it.

I agree the better vid cards will help ( because I am running 2 x cards to power 4 monitors) but my thought was by getting better mobo/ CPU and an assload of ram would make up for the older vid cards till I replace them.
do you guys think I would be better off keeping the setup I have now with the dual core cpu and 4 gigs of ram and just upgrading my vid cards ?

Depends on what you are doing. The pure performance upgrade from the dual core to an i7 is crazy. i7 + mb + 6 gig ram then later do 6 gig ram + video card.

Depends on what you are doing. The pure performance upgrade from the dual core to an i7 is crazy. i7 + mb + 6 gig ram then later do 6 gig ram + video card.

yeah I was kind of thinking that also.. I could prob justify doing that path..

I do a lot of photo editing / video editing and mainly just EQ but I do play other games from time to time

I do a lot of photo editing / video editing and mainly just EQ but I do play other games from time to time

The encoding time difference is crazy between what you have and if you switched to an i7 920/930. Even between the comparative AMD processors its better if not mistaken.

Wow, that is a beast. I can't imagine needing that much power in a desktop.

With the video setup non-crossfire and you using it for the 4 monitors. are you using it to extend your desktop across the 4 monitors? Sorry if it shows in the photobucket image as I can't goto photobucket on government systesm lol. And also, curious as to how much you ended up spending on your upgrades?? from the looks of it, just the processor and the video cards put you over the $800 mark. That's some Beefy RAM btw, shit -- Before mercs came out I boxed 5-6 toons at a time and my system (completely purchased from tiger direct) was $4600 or so, running Intel Quad core QX9650 ($1100 at the time), 2x EVGA 8800 Ultra ($630 Each at the time) 4x2GB DDR2 800mhz RAM (can't remember price) with 2x500GB 7200RPM Seagate with a 1000Watt modular power supply with a 790i MB and 760i Bigwater cooling. I'm pretty sure that's all. Monitor was bought seperately (was actually a TV) Which is a Panasonic 50" 1080P television and used a DVI to HDMI converter. So I can just imagine that your computer is going to bang out some performance and then some. **Note** the 2xEVGA 8800 Ultra's were running too hot when I had them both in the system, I looked into getting them waterblocks but couldn't find any, ended putting all this in a MozartTX case and maxing out the fans for a total of 10x120mm LED Fans.

I need to upgrade something serious, I wanna try those 6 core processors and upgrade to much faster RAM if nothing else. The RAM on the market these days is incredible, I just need to find a MB that will support the 2ghz RAM....

Last edited:
my new pc

i just built a pc last week.
its got an i7 processor a 60 gig solid state hard drive
a geeforce 275 with 2gig onboard DDR5 ram
8gig normal ram (DDR3)
I boot up windows to desktop fully ready in like 10 seconds, The solid state hard drive along with the i7 processor is rediculous.....really.

Yea I have an i7 along with an 80 GB SSD. I do have to say it is quite nice!

I have the same AMD Black and a 500gig hard drive, only takes like 15-20 seconds to boot, so is the 80gig solid cost/limit of space really worth 10 second of time?

Besides, just sleep your comp or if you me leave it on 24/7 and only turn it off when a patch happens haha

I never leave my computers on over night, just something I never will do lol. As for the hard drive it was good for me, I will be doing lots of computer programming etc this semester at school so will be nice to have the speed and performance of the SSD. Plus I dont have any music or videos or anything so I dont need a ton of space lol.

Ah, gotcha, guess i'm a computer pack rat....save EVERYTHING

Ah, gotcha, guess i'm a computer pack rat....save EVERYTHING

Get you some external space, or a NAS to hook into your router. Senseless to keep your bulk files in the same HDD your OS is on....I mean really, your HDD crashes and your stuck going through some BS to recover your important files. I mean don't get me wrong, the HDD the media is on has a chance to fail, but that's why you keep backups. I got about 1800 movies and store them on a pair of 1TB Passport drives using an HD Media player that runs about $100 from newegg. Keeps my main drive clear and can access it over my local network without any problems. The SSD as a hard drive doesn't have to be run standalone, just for the Main OS/EQ or things of that nature, you can always slave a new drive in for bulk space.

I have a sweet 20 meg RLL. Boots to command prompt in 75 seconds. Mine is bigger!

htw

With the video setup non-crossfire and you using it for the 4 monitors. are you using it to extend your desktop across the 4 monitors? Sorry if it shows in the photobucket image as I can't goto photobucket on government systesm lol. And also, curious as to how much you ended up spending on your upgrades?? from the looks of it, just the processor and the video cards put you over the $800 mark. That's some Beefy RAM btw, shit -- Before mercs came out I boxed 5-6 toons at a time and my system (completely purchased from tiger direct) was $4600 or so, running Intel Quad core QX9650 ($1100 at the time), 2x EVGA 8800 Ultra ($630 Each at the time) 4x2GB DDR2 800mhz RAM (can't remember price) with 2x500GB 7200RPM Seagate with a 1000Watt modular power supply with a 790i MB and 760i Bigwater cooling. I'm pretty sure that's all. Monitor was bought seperately (was actually a TV) Which is a Panasonic 50" 1080P television and used a DVI to HDMI converter. So I can just imagine that your computer is going to bang out some performance and then some. **Note** the 2xEVGA 8800 Ultra's were running too hot when I had them both in the system, I looked into getting them waterblocks but couldn't find any, ended putting all this in a MozartTX case and maxing out the fans for a total of 10x120mm LED Fans.

I need to upgrade something serious, I wanna try those 6 core processors and upgrade to much faster RAM if nothing else. The RAM on the market these days is incredible, I just need to find a MB that will support the 2ghz RAM....

total it ended up costing right at 2k for the upgrades... a little over my budget but I figured I would not be upgrading again for quite some time...
I pretty much use one GPU per display so in a way yes I have the desktop spread across all 4 monitors.