Is this the new norm?

Ursister

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not tech savvy. I've had multiple strokes over the years. My friend set me up with Bugs saying click on task bar to get Bugs up and running, log in toons click hot button that says ON and you're up and running. Now there's ALL these things I need to do and am not savvy enough to do them. Is this the new way of doing things, because even my tech savvy friend has quit playing because of all of this. I'm pretty sure you've lost him as a client which is a shame because he's been with you since your inception. My own subscription expires on the 9th of march. I tried Red Guides. It was worse. I'm happy your tech savvy clients can continue on, I'm sorry those with mental handicaps are struggling and may lose this asset. I've been playing EQ for 15 years. I've only ever played Zelda (the original) I'm old and alone and this was the only thing I had going in my life that made me happy. I wish things could return to normal. You have my email address if it ever does. I'll come back then. Thanks for the good times. No point in answering this forum. I won't be back.

• Sad
Reactions: EQDAB
Not sure what you mean by all the things you need to do...but my MQ experience has been the same for the last 2 years now. Nothing new.

Not sure what you mean by all the things you need to do...but my MQ experience has been the same for the last 2 years now. Nothing new.
He means you can't just click the loader and get an update and play.
My son set it all up for me years ago and I have just played.
Now I don't even understand if the old loader is going to used anymore, people talk like they have switched to the Next thing.
I tried downloading that but I can't make it work and my son is overseas again.
SO he is saying us old dummies' are just not playing and have no idea if we ever will have any of that back again.
Tried to just figure that out, is it being fixed or is setting up Next the only option now.
If I could get an answer just to that alone I would know what I need to do at least.

Reactions: EQDAB and Evilmog
Next works the same as MQ2 does. Same loader, just a different MQ exe.

Things still suck at the moment but we're working through the list of problems.

The installer has some problems, I'd recommend using zip for time being.
We have some plugin crashes that need resolving. (MQ2Bot/MQ2PiggyZone/MQ2ReachIt)
Test server still needs updating

We're still working through problems, ultimately nothing should really change too much once we have everything working correctly again.

• Love
Reactions: EQDAB and MamaBear
Things still suck at the moment but we're working through the list of problems.

The installer has some problems, I'd recommend using zip for time being.
We have some plugin crashes that need resolving. (MQ2Bot/MQ2PiggyZone/MQ2ReachIt)
Test server still needs updating

We're still working through problems, ultimately nothing should really change too much once we have everything working correctly again.
Thank you I don't seem to be able to do that and make it work so I will just wait if the other is going to work again sometime.
:)

Next works the same as MQ2 does. Same loader, just a different MQ exe.
I seem to have it somewhat working, so what I was missing is basically it is a combination of the old and new working together, kind of thing.

I seem to have it somewhat working, so what I was missing is basically it is a combination of the old and new working together, kind of thing.

Don't know about others but that sent a chill down my spine. So I take it 'NEXT is where all focus is, in other words MQ2 'Normal/original is about to become extinct? And if there's any combination of old 'n new I'm trusting/hopeful the installer will set it up to start us 'dummies out. After that it's up to the loader to keep it current and on track. Sound reasonable? :unsure::cautious:;):) And a BIG round of applause 👏 👏👏 for the fantastic people supporting & making MMOBugs possible. And donating if ya can shows the long hours are V/M appreciated!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MamaBear
I think MMOBugs is leveraging the 64 bit migration to completely split from the " MQ2 'Normal/original " compile, and go completely to MQ2Next. I don't think that means you lose the plugins that attracts everyone to MMOBugs. It just means the maintainers of MMOBugs are leaning towards a more active, and less costly, development community than the original "MQ2". There will be learning curves. I think MQ2Bot is a lesser priority now, and the plugins that support it. MQ2Next is heavy on Lua scripting and macros like kiss assist and entropy are the focus. It would be nice if the maintainers of MMOBugs would put out a statement as eloquent as this, but, what do you expect, they are geeks.

Not totally correct. There has been a split going on between eqmule and a good part of the community. Eqmule has/had mq2 functionality locked behind a close sourced plugin for a while. So some of the dev's started working on a new version to bring it back to open sourced as it had started. With eq upgrading to 64 bit, it required redoing a bunch of the programing because of the way computers use memory. At this point, mq2 does not function with eq. Eqmule has the mq2 stuff moved to 64 bit via mq64. But there is a whole thing with about which version to go with, and at least for now it seems bugs dev crew has decided MQNext is what to go with.

MQNext has been functional for a while, and bugs has had a version of it out for a good part of it, but still had to be converted from 32 bit to 64 bit.

• Love
Autoforage, autoinventory, Mac Fishing simple things like that all removed from configuration. Maybe fix easier things THEN get to the more complex. Again though, not tech savvy so I have no clue how to manually load anything. On and I've been a member since 2011. I've seen the masters at work here and get stuff fixed to fast I was blown away by their efficiency. This has been painful to watch. I don't even play anymore just log in to do OS. My 4 EQ paid for life accounts may be going up for sale since I can no longer box them. I hope this has cleared up your confusion Sir.

I think MMOBugs is leveraging the 64 bit migration to completely split from the " MQ2 'Normal/original " compile, and go completely to MQ2Next. I don't think that means you lose the plugins that attracts everyone to MMOBugs. It just means the maintainers of MMOBugs are leaning towards a more active, and less costly, development community than the original "MQ2". There will be learning curves. I think MQ2Bot is a lesser priority now, and the plugins that support it. MQ2Next is heavy on Lua scripting and macros like kiss assist and entropy are the focus. It would be nice if the maintainers of MMOBugs would put out a statement as eloquent as this, but, what do you expect, they are geeks.
but, what do you expect, they are geeks.
Lol I was just thinking this as I again messed up my computer files and I think I tried to open or delete some part of the actual program files while trying to get Next running! I don't think they can think low for us.
I saw two different places I think that the ini files were suggested to be moved into the next folder. SO I being who I am put them in both! Is that bad LOl who knows!
Today I uninstalled and trying to start again because I am assuming that is the only way to get the updates they say are happening. When I use the zip one I end up with a horrid mess, I can't get it to unzip and I can't get it into the Next file I even ended up with a zip with another name somehow after I downloaded it it added my daughters name like it over wrote my photo file of her..
Maybe someone will finally see I mean dumb when I say it! Ha!

Can someone tell me if Kiss still has to have the ini spell line copied manually to the caster and saved? My kiss files are ancient.

I would love someone with Bullitt points for dummies to say somewhere easily found...
1: select Next download full installer (main mmobugs page)
2. ? LOL

• Love
Autoforage, autoinventory, Mac Fishing simple things like that all removed from configuration. Maybe fix easier things THEN get to the more complex. Again though, not tech savvy so I have no clue how to manually load anything. On and I've been a member since 2011. I've seen the masters at work here and get stuff fixed to fast I was blown away by their efficiency. This has been painful to watch. I don't even play anymore just log in to do OS. My 4 EQ paid for life accounts may be going up for sale since I can no longer box them. I hope this has cleared up your confusion Sir.
I have confidence all will be worked out and we will be very pleased eventually and just need to be patient.
There must be a lot to do and a lot involved. It seems like it has been a long time if you play when you can, to keep your mind off of bad things like we do, it is great for that! We don't watch TV and certainly don't want to see the news now, we read a lot but EQ is more interactive and you are not just sitting there. But playing without your own group now is really hard unless you are on a lot and have a bunch of guild friends or something.

I don't know where your older macroquest folder is, and im not sure where it will install by default. but if you can figure that out on your own, this should work i think.

1 download next

2 close out of mmoloader and mq

3 rename your macroquest folder. right click on it, rename, add old (or something). this is just to make sure the loader doesn't try to put everything in the same folder

4 run the downloaded next.

5 go into the OLD macroquest folder and copy the ini's you want to move. this will possibly include ini files for the plugins (mq2autoforage.ini, mq2hud.ini, etc) and specific char files (server_charname.ini) and also getting macroquest.ini should load all the plugins as you had them before. Also, these ini's might not have the .ini extension, but if you are viewing via details (right click on open area of the folder, view, details) it will say configuration setting.

6 paste those into Config folder in the new macroquest install.

7 go back into the old macroquest folder, macros folder and copy whichever macros you want to make sure are moved over.

8 go to the new macroquest, macros folder. paste.

9 open mmoloader, eqbc server, and everquest as normal. I would advise just loading 1 char to start with. once on, verify the plugins you wanted loaded have actually loaded and adjust things as needed. if everything looks right, then you should be good to go

• Love
I really appreciate that!:love:
It works! It seems have not tried to play yet, but there are no nav and such buttons on the group window are those supposed to still be there and if I try nav it says no mesh loaded. They are in the nav folder but it will not load them. Navigate load says loading settings in game but nothing happens.

Otherwise I could not rename the old mmobugs file it will not show a rename option so I don't know how.
Thank you

For the Nav, the files are just in the mq2nav folder in the old version. drop them in the resources folder inside the new macroquest folder. i don't think i have managed to remember to move them on any of my installs until after i see no meshes loaded in game.

For the buttons on the group window, /plugin mq2targetinfo
  • /groupinfo help Shows list of commands
  • /groupinfo show/hide hot Shows or Hides Hot Buttons on Group Window
  • /groupinfo show/hide mimicme Hides or Shows Mimic Me hotbutton
  • /groupinfo show/hide followme Hides or Shows Follow Me hotbutton
  • /groupinfo show/hide cometome Hides or Shows Come To Me hotbutton
  • /groupinfo show/hide distance Hides or Shows Distance to Target or Group Member

Reactions: MamaBear
For the Nav, the files are just in the mq2nav folder in the old version. drop them in the resources folder inside the new macroquest folder. i don't think i have managed to remember to move them on any of my installs until after i see no meshes loaded in game.

For the buttons on the group window, /plugin mq2targetinfo
  • /groupinfo help Shows list of commands
  • /groupinfo show/hide hot Shows or Hides Hot Buttons on Group Window
  • /groupinfo show/hide mimicme Hides or Shows Mimic Me hotbutton
  • /groupinfo show/hide followme Hides or Shows Follow Me hotbutton
  • /groupinfo show/hide cometome Hides or Shows Come To Me hotbutton
  • /groupinfo show/hide distance Hides or Shows Distance to Target or Group Member
Thank you, unfortunately not one of those will work not even groupinfo help. SO I did something wrong again. MQ2Nav is selected in the plugins,
I copied the files from the nav folder old to the resources in Next they are there but nav load says "loading settings", but no meshes are available to navigate and the hot buttons don' come up.
"couldn't parse groupinfo"
I know it would probably be impossible for you to know what's wrong but thank you!

• Wow