i7 6880k vs 6700k vs i5 6600k

Casca

Lifetimer
Reaction score
i7 6800k vs 6700k vs i5 6600k

I just play Everquest. Maybe I play some new game, but it's not a big deal to me at all. What I want is a something that can run 20x EQ accounts at good to high settings using new armor with no lag. When/if Pantheon comes out, I'd like it to run that well too, but have no plans to box that at all, so just needs to be able to run a single Pantheon/new MMO.

Price wise, 6800k is only $160 more than 6700k for a comparable build of parts I need (CPU/MOBO/RAM). I understand 6700k is better for gaming, but with more cores/threads on the 6800k, wouldn't it run a bunch of EQ instances better? Or can an i5 6600k with 64gb ram do everything I require already? The i5 would maybe save me $300ish. Not looking to go big or trying to save pennies, but I want it to do what I want and still be a viable set-up for as long as possible.

Last edited:
I have an i7 - 6700K which is a quad core with hyper-threading running at 4.00 Ghz. I'm using MQ2FPS to limit background frames to render only 1 in 30 fps and generally get 30-45 FPS on my main character with up to 15 characters. I am running MQ2CPULoad to auto-balance the instances so the foreground character is on the "least" loaded character.

When I get to the 16th each real core has 4 instances and performance on my main character drops down to about 10 fps.

I know others have loaded more characters by running stick figures, turning down textures, etc.

Thanks dewey. I'd have thought the 6700k could do better than that or maybe you need more ram. I currently run 16x accounts on my laptop at pretty nice settings. i74720HQ 2.6ghz GTX965m and 32gb ram. My main/puller/tank is on the 17" laptop screen and the other 15 are on the second 17" screen split up into 1 big window when chosen and little tiny windows when not chosen. My main stays @30fps and the rest are @12fps.

Think I'm just going to go ahead and do the 6800k build. The mobo for that is capable of getting to 128gb using 16gb sticks, assuming using all the slots doesn't cause problems. Not that I am going more than 64gb anytime soon, just nice to know it can be done on 16gb sticks.

I have 32 GB of ram so plenty of head room even with 16 toons loaded =/ For shit and grins (with 15) I did a /bcaa //mq2fps unload and FPS dropped down to 1-2 FPS. All my guys are stacked under each other running 1280 x 1024. I probably should look into using ISBoxer for the window management.

Looking forward to hearing how the i7-6800K does for you.

Last edited:
Get the 6 core (the one with not so many PCI lanes), price difference is negligible iirr. So that you have access to more threads. I remember discussing this with htw when I was looking at the new 10 core came out earlier this year, and he said it was just fluff that the 6 core would be good or get the Xeon 8 or 10 core, I believe those are fairly cheap. You can also look into the old 3x or 4x series, they'll all do about the same with very little IPC gains.

You want as many threads as you can get if you are running multiple accounts on one comp so each account is on its own thread. And I believe the 6700k vs the 6800k/5820k price difference is like 50 bucks?

I know I saw it on Fry's for $320 at some point. The Xeon 8 or 10 core I think run about $600 vs the 8 core E series at $1000.

The numbering of the 6x

RAM and # of threads/cores is what you need to run alot of EQ accounts (>20). GFX not so much unless you are running high resolution monitors.

Also note, don't believe the AMD marketing, just cause it says 8 core its not the same as an Intel 8 core. Huge difference

I start lagging after I load my 15th or 16th EQ account on my machine, running 32gb of ram and a 4core/8thread i7-2700k.

6-Core, LGA 2011-v3, Processors - Desktops, CPUs / Processors, Components - Newegg.com

Suggest getting the 5820k vs the 6700k

Or for Xeon, the E5-2620 is really good for its price point:

10-Core, 8-Core, LGA 2011-3, Processors - Servers, CPUs / Processors, Components - Newegg.com

Xeon's will use the same socket as the E series too iir, make sure its socket 2011-v3

Last edited:
If you are interested I will give you a sweet deal on:

I powered it up, loaded linux, ran some tests, then packed it back in boxes for the move to new house.
Has been sitting for a year in boxes in the closet.

You would just need a video card + big case + cpu fans.

Will probably run a ridiculous amount of eqclients.

Last edited:
i used to run 16 toons on a 8350 with 16 gigs of ram and a amd hd 6870 with full models and all that didn't move then around much but never had issues pulling mobs but did always noticed that mq2fps raped the fps that i get ingame have less issues with it off and turning eqplaynice off in wineq2

oh and what cpu to get go for the i5 6600k its more then you will need for gaming take the 100 bucks and put in into your graphics card that's what really matters

oh and what cpu to get go for the i5 6600k its more then you will need for gaming take the 100 bucks and put in into your graphics card that's what really matters

GFX does not matter if you only play EQ and no other games, unless you are running high resolutions > 1080p. There is absolutely no reason to splurge on a GFX if you have one that came out in the last 4 years that uses PCI 3.0 interface, 128 bit bus or more, and 2 GB of DDR5 graphics memory or more.

Something such as the gtx 650 is plenty sufficient at 1080p and lower resolutions for playing EQ:

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (02G-P4-2651-KR) 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card | eBay

You need lots of RAM to load more accounts, and preferably a CPU with more cores to keep accounts on their own separate thread, assuming we are talking about loading 20 accounts or more.

LamahHerder, thanks for the offer, but although I want it to box a bunch of EQ instances, I'm not wanting a server type build.

Went with the i7 6800k, this asus mobo Amazon.com: ASUS LGA2011-v3 5-Way Optimization SafeSlot X99 ATX Motherboard X99-A II: Computers & Accessories after a lot of back and forth on what mobo to get, it seems to have the least complaints of failing, plus B&H had a combo deal for it that knocked the price down by over $100 (compared to Amazon) when factoring in they don't charge me tax. I was considering some of the higher $$$ mobos,but they all seem to have high fail rates and I am not into light shows. Not planning on overclocking anything, just want it to be stable. Also got 64gb (4x16) of mid-speed (2666hnz) range ram from crucial and will probably just go ahead and get another 64gb.

For graphics, I was planning on using my old GTX 285 and eventually get something else if needed or when there's a really good deal.

he did say he wanted to play some modern games so a gpu is needed =P but the i7 still isn't and x99 would be a super bad waste of cash

Went ahead and added a Samsung M.2 512gb NVMe SSD and a gtx1060

he did say he wanted to play some modern games so a gpu is needed =P but the i7 still isn't and x99 would be a super bad waste of cash

He said he plays EQ only and maybe he'll play some other games.

I just play Everquest. Maybe I play some new game, but it's not a big deal to me at all.

x99 is not a waste of money if you get one of the cheapest x99 boards that doesn't have bells and whistles. I would have gone with the 5820k though over the 6800k, there is barely any gain in performance other than a slightly better power management. I suppose it will pay off in the powerbill if you use it for 5-6 years though.

On Amazon, the price difference between a 6800k and 5820k is $50. On B&H, where I bought my bundle deal, the difference is $16 because they have no 5820k + mobo bundle there. Best place I could find that I would be willing to trust my money with, the difference between a 5820k and 6800k build is $58-$20 (for comparable free shipping since this place charges for that) so $38. There are places, I don't care how much cheaper they are, I am not doing business with them nor am I buying from several places to save a couple bucks. Or used.

I see no reason to go for 5820k over $50 and am pretty happy with my choice. Think this build is going to run a bunch of EQ clients beautifully. Went ahead and got a second 24" screen too. Just a Dell E2416HM for $119, which is a crazy. Didn't realize prices dropped so much. Bought a Dell 2406fpw back in 2005ish for like $700.

Can the GTX 1060 run 3 screens? Just wanting to run EQ on the two 24" and maybe have a 17" to surf the internet and such.

Last edited:
On Amazon, the price difference between a 6800k and 5820k is $50. On B&H, where I bought my bundle deal, the difference is $16 because they have no 5820k + mobo bundle there. Best place I could find that I would be willing to trust my money with, the difference between a 5820k and 6800k build is $58-$20 (for comparable free shipping since this place charges for that) so $38. There are places, I don't care how much cheaper they are, I am not doing business with them nor am I buying from several places to save a couple bucks. Or used.

I see no reason to go for 5820k over $50 and am pretty happy with my choice. Think this build is going to run a bunch of EQ clients beautifully. Went ahead and got a second 24" screen too. Just a Dell E2416HM for $119, which is a crazy. Didn't realize prices dropped so much. Bought a Dell 2406fpw back in 2005ish for like $700.

Can the GTX 1060 run 3 screens? Just wanting to run EQ on the two 24" and maybe have a 17" to surf the internet and such.

If its 3x 1080p , the 1060 shouldn't have any issue. Make sure you get the 6gb one, although I think 3gb of ddr5x should be plenty too, not really sure you can probably find some benchmarks with nvidia surround on the web.

Last edited:
Well, pretty much was a complete new build and went well over my planned spending limit. Bought a new case, HAF XB Evo , which is a cube and allows you to mount the mobo horizontally, as well as Nocta heatsink and fans so that every fan is PWM and can stay low RPM and silent unless needed. 16 instances of Everquest going and the fan never speeds up to where I can hear it. CPU stays @80%, occasionally going over 90 and occasionally going below 70. Memory use is under 20% and everything is very smooth (FPS on main is 60 and my the rest is set at 30 with the same settings I had on the laptop, which was pretty much bogging down.

The build went much better than expected. Motherboard recognized the 128gb of ram and M2 SSD out the box, everything loaded up great and is working perfectly. Copied all the Everquest config files over as well as MQ2 folder and had EQ/MQ2/bots running damn near immediately on the new computer. Just had to adjust chat windows within EQ because of the difference in resolution. Also was able to run three monitors with no problem off the GTX 1060. Very nice to have a third monitor for surfing the web and such. Very happy with how this went, wish I woulda done this sooner or really....I wish I never bought the gaming laptop. It's gonna sit in the closet and collect dust now, for the most part.

Also got a Corsair K70 LUX RGB MX Cherry Brown. Read the browns were quit and good for typing, but they are pretty damn noisy. I do type better on them though. I like the keyboard well enough and won't be returning because the reds and blues don't sound like I would like at all.

Have a final complete parts list? I've been pricing out a new build for myself with the hope to run 18 accounts. Been waffling on more cores vs faster cores myself. Would think that more cores is the right way to go.

Amazon.com: Intel Boxed Core i7-6800K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) FC-LGA14A 3.4 6 BX80671I76800K: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ASUS LGA2011-v3 5-Way Optimization SafeSlot X99 ATX Motherboard X99-A II: Computers & Accessories

I got the 950 pro, but read after that the 960 pro will release very soon. Honestly not sure it's any faster for real world results compared to my old "normal" SSD Amazon.com: Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P512BW): Computers & Accessories

Wow...price sky rocketed. Bought at Amazon for $319 per set of 4 and got 128gb total. Definitely don't need 128gb. With 16 accounts going, I don't think it's gone above 20% memory in use. Also, I think for any x99 board, don't get ram that comes with tall heatsinks as the CPU heatsink will be right over the memory slots.Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit for DDR4 Systems at Amazon.com

Amazon.com: ASUS Wi-Fi PCI Express Adapter (PCE-AC56): Computers & Accessories

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSG4C/ref=twister_B01KJGWHIM

Second 24" display https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY59FT7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An assortment of Nocta PWM fans: 2x140 for intake, 1x120 for exhaust and 2x80 for exhaust. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRF1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7UZMAK/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_5_w

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UINT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFJ0H3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love the CM case. Mobo mounts horizontal and there's two levels. It's usually over 80f in my computer room just because the A/C venting doesn't really hit this room. I have a fan going, but where the case is doesn't get much airflow, but temps stay @50c with all cores running at a load of 60% average...16 accounts going, but really only playing 6. Rest are just standing around. My laptop didn't seem to do better or worse when I had 16 accounts on, but only playing 6 vs all 16 going. The heatsink/fan I used fits fine in the case, but no space left to put a thin 200mm fan on top. However the 140mm intake fans are set up to over power the exhaust fan, so it vents passively through the top. Note...pick up some 140mm fan filters as the case doesn't come with filters.

Also just got this keyboard today https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gami...echanical+gaming+keyboard+cherry+mx+rgb+brown

It's not annoyingly noisy to me, but if I coulda got exactly the same thing with the same feedback from the keys, but less noise for a few $$ more, I woulda. Other than that, I really like it. Type much better on it. Haven't installed the software to do multi colors yet, maybe I'll like it more.

I think that's everything. I bought some at amazon and the brunt of it (mobo/cpu/vid card) at B&H because of bundle deals and no sales tax. Oh...and windows 10 pro 64bit

Last edited: