GM's reading group chats

A guildie on a raid one time typed an MQ command in the raid channel. It could easily be missed if one wasn't already conversant in MQ commands. I noticed it and a couple of days later brought it up to him. We got to talking and ended up working jointly together from time to time to take down some tough mobs using our "boxed sets." We used to clear most of Anguish before it became trivial.

Funny thing is I grouped with him a number of times years before the incident (back before I used MQ) and I had no idea he used MQ altho I used to wonder why he always seemed to have a sixth sense about what mobs were behind the next bend in the dungeon, or whether a named was up. LOL

i refer to it as our helper and never say plugin or MQ in any form

HAHA Public and I used to refer to it as pizza when we talked in guild chat.

We used to call it cake years ago. Plugins were frosting~

The running in circles thing was probably to see if you tried auto-targetting/following/attacking him or something goofy.

This ^

When I was a Guide a couple years ago we used to do this, jumping into random instances that have been open for too long with people in it, to see if they're botting.

It's easy to see because they'll target you and try to /follow cast etc.

NPC Flags used to be so much fun :)

As a current guide I will do this often. However I can tell if your botting, but there's nothing wrong with botting a crew.

However I did have an instance when I was running a pvp event the other evening on the server I guide with and I did have to disqualify someone who was obviously using MQ to bot heal his other players with. When I did ask him about it of course he completely denied it and since I wasn't a GM.. I really had no say. And then I also remember that since he was using MQ to bot his toons around with, that would I want someone to report me for using MQ either..

Goes back to the old code of honor thing. Even as a guide if I see a fella MQer doing something like botting, its not cool for me to rat him out. Even if I am doing my guide duties..

Honor among my fella brothers in crime :)

Last edited:
As a current guide I will do this often. However I can tell if your botting, but there's nothing wrong with botting a crew.

However I did have an instance when I was running a pvp event the other evening on the server I guide with and I did have to disqualify someone who was obviously using MQ to bot heal his other players with. When I did ask him about it of course he completely denied it and since I wasn't a GM.. I really had no say. And then I also remember that since he was using MQ to bot his toons around with, that would I want someone to report me for using MQ either..

Goes back to the old code of honor thing. Even as a guide if I see a fella MQer doing something like botting, its not cool for me to rat him out. Even if I am doing my guide duties..

Honor among my fella brothers in crime :)

I hope when you say "the other night" that you mean a year ago, because "PvP Events" don't happen often and it can easily be traced back to you :). Your boss lurks these forums FYI :p

My boss doesn't lurk theses forums at all... Since the event was run the other day.

several devs and GMs have accounts here. Not saying who, but fry could easily trace whos IPs are coming from a certain city SOE develops EQ in. Just saying :)

Just letting you know that is it in their right to do so, should they choose to do it.

Quoted from the EULA:

Spoiler:
12. We cannot ensure that your private communications and other personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to third parties. For example, we may be forced to disclose information to the government or third parties under certain circumstances, or third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications. Additionally, we can (and you authorize us to) disclose any information about you to private entities, law enforcement or other government officials as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to investigate or resolve possible problems or inquiries. You agree that we may communicate with you via telephone, email and any similar technology for any purpose relating to the Game, the Software and any services or software which may in the future be provided by us or on our behalf. You expressly permit SOE to upload CPU, operating system, video card, sound card and memory information from your computer to analyze and optimize your Game experience, improve and maintain the Game and/or provide you with customer service.

I used to run ISXVG in Vanguard and had a GM quote /tells as part of his evidence against me in the warning email when I questioned him about why I got a warn. At the time I was unaware they were even allowed to do that, but they certainly are.

I'd just suggest not talking about MQ in-game!

Just letting you know that is it in their right to do so, should they choose to do it.

Quoted from the EULA:

Spoiler:
12. We cannot ensure that your private communications and other personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to third parties. For example, we may be forced to disclose information to the government or third parties under certain circumstances, or third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications. Additionally, we can (and you authorize us to) disclose any information about you to private entities, law enforcement or other government officials as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to investigate or resolve possible problems or inquiries. You agree that we may communicate with you via telephone, email and any similar technology for any purpose relating to the Game, the Software and any services or software which may in the future be provided by us or on our behalf. You expressly permit SOE to upload CPU, operating system, video card, sound card and memory information from your computer to analyze and optimize your Game experience, improve and maintain the Game and/or provide you with customer service.

I used to run ISXVG in Vanguard and had a GM quote /tells as part of his evidence against me in the warning email when I questioned him about why I got a warn. At the time I was unaware they were even allowed to do that, but they certainly are.

I'd just suggest not talking about MQ in-game!

Don't think you understand what that actually means. That section is not permission for them to read your chat. Also they would not be a third party would they ? So that section is pointless.

Further more just because you sign something doesn't mean its legal for them to do it and even more so what if you're playing on a friends PC ? You don't have permission to allow them to do it. As far as monitoring chat logs im sure they scan it for known mq2 commands, as far as scanning your PC not happening until one of the big MMO company's have the balls to fight it in the courts for 10 years.

Last edited: