What's Your Reason for being Anon?

mybstfrnd3

Reaction score
I don't like my guild to know where I am at all times for obvious reasons, I'm just wondering if anybody else runs into the same situation where they ask you why you're anon, and if so, what your excuse is for it?
Do you just ignore them and pretend you're afk?
Do you have some good excuse?

I was pretty successful telling people that my little brother plays my account a lot and I set it to anon for him because he does stupid things on my characters that might not look good on the guild, so it's just safer that way.

Thats the most successful thing I've tried at least. Any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I go with "I like my privacy, asshole".

Hasn't failed me yet

Here's my 2 cents, and I'm sure a lot of you will disagree

Don't go anon? Even as a cheater myself when I see anon I get more suspicious thinking what is the person up to, what are they hiding, nice bot crew, etc etc :p

In fact most guilds don't allow anon, why would you hide where you are and does it really matter that much?

I think the more normal you are, the less suspicous people are, consider it like racial profiling ...anon profiling

Because of the people that send tells to sell plat or Powerleveling.
Sometimes I was just tired of getting a "pleasantly surprised".

i go /anon because of people begging for buffs.

My 2cp

i go /anon because of people begging for buffs.

/role acommplishes the same thing for buff beggars but still shows the guild tag and is the most /anon you can get in most guilds without being scrutinized.

For what it's worth I only pop anon when I am about to chain zone and then go back to /role. No one besides your guild and fellowship can see where you are when you /role so this reduces your exposure but /anon is still better if you are chain zoning since that is pretty obvious to someone watching the guild tool.

I tend to agree with Alexandra. /anon people draw more attention in a guild because it begs the question "what are you up to?" For the same reason you see Ferraris going the speed limit and the fastest cars on the freeway are brown minivans my advice is to use /anon sparingly.

Last edited:
My guild never allowed anon and I used it only when chainzoning.

However, when IceBox11 was doing an order on my toon he kept the toon anon 100 percent of the time (at my request), so when I logged on I often got questioned.

I basically just took the line of 'look, I do my job pretty well in the guild. If you want to kick me out for wanting my privacy every once in a while, go for it. Otherwise I'm not sure what to tell you. I just wanted to be in Anguish without a bunch of people asking me if they could come with me for orb drops everytime I zone in there.'

They never kicked me out. And I think as long as you don't make it painfully obvious you're cheating and you're an asset to the guild, you can probably just tell them to deal.

Honestly I just tell every guild I join up front. I like to do my thang without a lot of questions and I am always /anon. If you can't live with it don't take me.

Of course that was back when i did the whole guild kick.

For what it's worth I only pop anon when I am about to chain zone and then go back to /role. No one besides your guild and fellowship can see where you are when you /role so this reduces your exposure but /anon is still better if you are chain zoning since that is pretty obvious to someone watching the guild tool.

you can still see someone doing this in guild tool even if your anon and anon makes it look worse. You still see the name on guild tool disapear and reappear just like someone is zoneing you just cant see the zones .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Post and some of the replies.

Don't worry I know what ya mean by it. Sometimes I will go anon depends on who is on. I will get questioned what I am doing which I would tell them i'm exping.

I've had my fights with a few people on this but it a simple fact if they are not paying for account, I'm not gonna have them tell me what to do and who I can do it with. If they can't understand that then sorry I won't be part of your guild.

I think the no anon rule is stupid, but still spend 99% of my time /role unless I chain zone (and actually, I forget to do that fairly often anyway).

I'm pretty sure right now 25 to 50% of all players use mq2 or know people who do and benefit indirectly from it. Hell, lol, there's a guy in my guild who has the balls to use the krossmaul he obviously didn't get with our raiding organization. I doubt anyone has said anyhing, or even noticed.

Kinda hard not to notice a Krossmaul. It's huge. One app to my guild is a known chinese farmer that we turned down, he was geared head to toe in everything a paladin can get out of RR and the rest was either other exploitable raid gear or top end group gear he likely trained one of our members to try and get. I cleaned up more than one of his trains myself. Yah. Denied.

When asked why anon I just replied I like to be left alone outside raid times.

As long as you are not anon during raid hours its not an issue imo. if you have poor raid % and go anon a lot then log off before raids it would be an issue as well.

But outside raid hours as long as you are not making your guild look bad (anon or not people can tell what guild you are in pretty easy) it should not matter.

Before I became an EQ whore, I used to live with anon on because my guild would constantly pester me to PL them or help them go do quests. Most of these people would come find the zone I was in and pester me while I exped, then cry when I wouldnt help them.

The truth is typically the best answer just not the full truth.

It's just the dumbest rule ever, I could probably understand if its a small guild that needs the exposure, but I'm in one of the biggest guilds on my server, doesn't help anybody to make that rule... makes me wanna start up my own guild that doesn't care who's anon or not. Anybody wanna start a guild on Mayong? :p

Kinda hard not to notice a Krossmaul. It's huge. One app to my guild is a known chinese farmer that we turned down, he was geared head to toe in everything a paladin can get out of RR and the rest was either other exploitable raid gear or top end group gear he likely trained one of our members to try and get. I cleaned up more than one of his trains myself. Yah. Denied.

Yep lol, that is why my Crossmaul and other weapons now have 2 of the same ornmentations just so I don't look "too" obvious...

I see the same thing, people in no name guilds running around with Krossmauls and shit.

Funny as.

It's just the dumbest rule ever, I could probably understand if its a small guild that needs the exposure, but I'm in one of the biggest guilds on my server, doesn't help anybody to make that rule... makes me wanna start up my own guild that doesn't care who's anon or not. Anybody wanna start a guild on Mayong? :p

The bigger guilds dont need the exposure for recruitment, its an intimidation thing. Making them look strong.

I rarely Anon, but If I do I just say I'm farming some shit and don't want people to know my spawn cycles~

LOL at the Krossmaul thing. I've seen it alot, too, and I've also never seen someone called out on it. The RR thing is so widespread and blatant it barely qualifies as cheating anymore. Especially given the fact SOE isn't exactly going gestapo on it.