Verizon Droid Phones

DemonH2

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Going to get some soon for me and my wife.

My wife prefers touch screens, i can go either way.

I want either the Droid 2 or the HTC Droid Incredible.

She wants either the Droid X or the HTC Droid incredible.

Whats the best in yall's opinion, and what should i get/what should she get.

Getting the phones saturday so plenty of time to help me out. Thanks!

-Demon

i work for Verizon it just really depends on what your wanting the phone to do for you the 2 is more Buisness the X is more media/play

I'm thinking of upgrading to an X using my new every two but i'm waiting for the price to come down a bit so i don't have to pay 300 our of pocket to get it.

brother has a driod x, it rocks

I'm thinking of upgrading to an X using my new every two but i'm waiting for the price to come down a bit so i don't have to pay 300 our of pocket to get it.

Dude at the store told me the price is dropping on all droid phones tomorrow(err I guess today now). I don't think he was supposed to tell me haha. He was like "hey come over here so i can show you something about this phone" then he told me the price was dropping the next day....

I think its going down 50 bucks. and Villageidiot, if you have verizon, and your two years is up. They will be doing buy one get one free droids starting today. And you get a 50 buck off for getting a fresh contract. So basically you can get two of any droid you want for like 100-150 bucks.

And a question to all you Droid X'ers. Can you do that nifty tether thing with it? I mean the one you don't pay monthly for...

Dude at the store told me the price is dropping on all droid phones tomorrow(err I guess today now). I don't think he was supposed to tell me haha. He was like "hey come over here so i can show you something about this phone" then he told me the price was dropping the next day....

I think its going down 50 bucks. and Villageidiot, if you have verizon, and your two years is up. They will be doing buy one get one free droids starting today. And you get a 50 buck off for getting a fresh contract. So basically you can get two of any droid you want for like 100-150 bucks.

And a question to all you Droid X'ers. Can you do that nifty tether thing with it? I mean the one you don't pay monthly for...

actually i can pay in the end 150 for one right now (before the "price drop")

it's $299 right now but you get a $100 rebate (prepaid credit card) then new every two discout - $50

so in the end would be $150 but out of pocket would have been 250. Still a bit of a dent to hit the pocket for me. I don't think i've paid for a phone in years , i just wait until i can get it for free using my new every two and resigning a contract with them. or i goto one of those places in the mall and bitch and moan and they usually take off the rest (if it's like $50 or so)

Just checked this morning and this is what i get

Full Retail Price $569.99
Price with 2yr contract $299.99
Mail-in Rebate Debit Card -100.00
New Every Two Discount -50.00
Your Price 149.99

so for me it's still 299 out of pocket while i wait on the 100 mail in rebate debit card :( suppose i'll have to wait awhile

Last edited:
Do any of the droid X users do a lot of typing on them? I didnt like most of the touch screen keyboards I have tried so far. I send a lot of emails from my Droid and prefer the real keys.

The tether/hotspot option cost extra for Verizon. I think it was 20$

I believe their are apps that do it for free....not really with Verizon's approval.

I have done tethering with Win Mobile devices

I tend to use Windows Mobile devices (even though they suck) because I need word and excel and outlook fucntionality on the go (mostly so I can pretend to be in my office when I am not). pdaphonehome.com has a thread for most all smart phones by carrier and if there is a way to tether the Droids without paying the Verizon fee, someone there has done it.

Get the Driod R2!!!

I just bought an iPhone about 9 months ago, if it wasn't for that, I would totally buy the R2. But then again, I am a Star Wars nerd. :D

I have a first gen moto droid. I'm still in love with my phone...I love having the option of using the touch screen or the keypad.

The only thing i don't like about it is the lack of a directional pad on the keyboard.

Get the Driod R2!!!

I just bought an iPhone about 9 months ago, if it wasn't for that, I would totally buy the R2. But then again, I am a Star Wars nerd. :D

That phone is fuckin' awesome. But not worth the extra money :/

You can use free apps to get wireless tether on the Droid, but it requires you to root your phone. Otherwise, you have to pay Verizon.

Due to Verizon's Marketplace having no restrictions, many apps on their are for rooted (hacked) phones. Kinda nice if your phone is rooted.

But.. I guess this is all moot, because you are looking at newer phones, that I don't know as much about in terms of hacking.

You can use free apps to get wireless tether on the Droid, but it requires you to root your phone. Otherwise, you have to pay Verizon.

Due to Verizon's Marketplace having no restrictions, many apps on their are for rooted (hacked) phones. Kinda nice if your phone is rooted.

But.. I guess this is all moot, because you are looking at newer phones, that I don't know as much about in terms of hacking.
I have the HTC Evo, and it's easy to root also. I'm not sure how Verizon filters Android Marketplace (if at all), but with Sprint, the HTC Evo (and other android based phones) don't go through Sprint at all for that, they use Android Marketplace directly - so there are commonly all the root apps you want in there. Even if not, though, they are all over the web. There are sites dedicated to those. As well, there are sites dedicated to 'cracked' android apps, but I stay away from those. Too much info on my phone to allow just any app to use it. ;)

htw

I have the HTC Evo, and it's easy to root also. I'm not sure how Verizon filters Android Marketplace (if at all), but with Sprint, the HTC Evo (and other android based phones) don't go through Sprint at all for that, they use Android Marketplace directly - so there are commonly all the root apps you want in there. Even if not, though, they are all over the web. There are sites dedicated to those. As well, there are sites dedicated to 'cracked' android apps, but I stay away from those. Too much info on my phone to allow just any app to use it. ;)

htw

From what I hear, the Android market is not filtered at all. So the entire thing is use at your own risk. I've not actually heard of any app breaking your phone like a virus, or anything, but still always good to be cautious.

Sometimes, I have to wonder though, why a simple horoscope app needs permissions (which you agree too when you install the app) for all sorts of things like call records, phone calls, etc etc. I just always assume that the app hooks into these more than I understand, and just let it do it. :confused: Worked so far! ha

If you get any of the Droid phones, I'd look into Rooting it. It adds quite a bit of flexibility, even for a phone hacking noob like myself. Better file/app management, better look, faster, etc. It's like going from WinXP to Win7 for the computer. haha!

I got my X the day it came out. I love it.

Been a droid user since day 1. I still have the droid 1 and love it. My wife has the 2. I use the slayer kernel and LiQuID FroZeN YoGurT rom for it and it works flawless with 1ghz overclock on the droid 1.

A good site for custome roms if you are going to root your droid.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/custom-roms/

Also very easy to find a wifi tether on the market. And you also can use pdanet with the data cable for tether as well...both are free.

Are the guides for rooting it pretty easy to follow?

Are the guides for rooting it pretty easy to follow?

Extremely. Step by step. I didn't do it for a long time, because I was like, why do I need to root it? I've got no interest in hacking my phone, etc etc. But I was able to get a phone update weeks early, and the speed increase on the phone was phenomenal that I immediately saw the benefit even if I don't do much else other than that.