Taunt mechanics, a question for experienced tanks

devestator

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Heya guys, got a question about the way taunt works in EQ for anyone that might know.

Does taunt simply move you to the top of the aggro list, or is it an additive type ability that increases your hate everytime you use it?

I've never really played a tank as a main so not sure on it, but I'm about to start working on an SKBot, so need a little better understanding of it to know how to treat it in the bot. I know in wow (where I did play a warrior as a main) taunt simply moved you to the top of the aggro list + xx amount of aggro, but alas this is not wow! :)

Thanks for the help!

Taunt puts you 1 above the highest person on the hate list. Therefore you only want to use taunt when you lose aggro. From what I have heard is if you taunt while you are on aggro and it is successful, then you will be put 1 ahead of the second person on the hate list. So you could lose aggro if you are over 1 aggro ahead of the next in line to get aggro. That isnt anything i confirmed myself just stuff i heard.

What he said.

But, I've heard two different things about taunt if you use it while already on aggro. I've heard it will put you +1 Hate over the Second Person on the hatelist like he said. OR...I've heard it just adds +1 Hate to you since you are the top of the hatelist.

If you think about the mechanics, the second way sounds like it makes more sense. If you are not on aggro, it doesn't add you +1 hate to the person second highest on the hatelist. It adds +1 to the highest person on the hatelist therefore putting you at the top of the hatelist. Regardless, it's really not that great of a habit to press Taunt everytime it refreshes if you are on aggro.

right.

Taunt put you 1 point over the one who has aggro.
So if player A has Aggro and 100 Aggropoints and you hit Taunt
you will have 101 Aggropoints.

If you have Aggro and 150 Aggropoints and the second player on the hatelist has 100 Aggropoints and you will hit Taunt you will loose your 50 Points of aggro so you will be dropped to 101.

Thats what the Tanks in my guild me explained because i got the same question some time ago as i started a SK Bot.

But i am not very sure if this is 100% correct how i explained it.

Regards

I played a full time raiding warrior, and i chain spammed taunt, i didnt loose aggro once. i was always under the impression that its +1, so if im at top of aggro, i get +1, not loose yz amount to second place, then +1.

In reality, even if it's +1 over your own, +1 is not going to make a huge difference, so if I just play it safe and have it only use taunt when aquiring aggro it should not be a big deal.

Can always change it later if I see better results with spamming taunt. Not like SKs really need taunt for aggro anyway, their spells do a much better job at it =P

its 1 point of aggro above who every is highest excluding yourself.

Taunt puts you 1 above the highest person on the hate list. Therefore you only want to use taunt when you lose aggro. From what I have heard is if you taunt while you are on aggro and it is successful, then you will be put 1 ahead of the second person on the hate list. So you could lose aggro if you are over 1 aggro ahead of the next in line to get aggro. That isnt anything i confirmed myself just stuff i heard.

This is correct.

I really didn't understand the mechanics of taunt until now, but it explains to me now why some of the best knights and sks I know say don't be a /taunt smasher LOL I use mq2melee and it chain taunts and I don't have an issue with that.

I play an SK now (but for years I was a wizard) and rarely if ever lose aggro, but with my other aggro spells taunt mashing isn't much a problem, sounds like for a warrior this would be a bigger deal. Although then I don't get if it moves your 1 point over the highest on aggro, once they nuke/disc again, you'd have to pull aggro again, so in essence do you wait to taunt until someone else shows up on hott.

I'm confused~

Although then I don't get if it moves your 1 point over the highest on aggro, once they nuke/disc again, you'd have to pull aggro again, so in essence do you wait to taunt until someone else shows up on hott.

I'm confused~

When I lose aggro I always cast a aggro spell after a successful taunt, same should go with a warrior using a aggro disc in place of a spell.

Aye but you also do yourself a disservice spamming taunt like the mq2melee plugin does by default.

Taunt

I am not convinced anyone really knows exactly how taunt works... In my experience the sucessful taunt +1 is how the game plays... But I have never seen and negative sied effects from mashing the taunt button as soon as it pops...

I have played a raiding warrior for years, I mash the button every time it pops, I almost never loose agro... I am sure a Zerker or necro that made an effort to pull my agro could do it... But I get thr agro right back as soon as they see the meassage "LOADING PLEASE WAIT!" :)

In my skbot I ended up coding it in a way that you can make it taunt smash if you want, or just let it taunt when it encounters a new target.

I hope to have a beta release out this weekend for those interested :)

I am not convinced anyone really knows exactly how taunt works... In my experience the sucessful taunt +1 is how the game plays... But I have never seen and negative sied effects from mashing the taunt button as soon as it pops...

I have played a raiding warrior for years, I mash the button every time it pops, I almost never loose agro... I am sure a Zerker or necro that made an effort to pull my agro could do it... But I get thr agro right back as soon as they see the meassage "LOADING PLEASE WAIT!" :)

I would think that the warrior class leaders who go to every fan fair and conversed with devs constantly back in the day would know how taunt actually works. Raaj is who I got my info from.

All you people going I never lose aggro and I am a keysmasher, this just means no other tank is fighting you for aggro and does not prove anything.

thesteelwarrior.org

...for your best chance at getting an accurate answer

Raaj from steelwarriors is who I am talking about.

Extensive info on Taunt:

[ame="http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1811"]Well I'll be Damned....(taunt test) - The Steel Warrior[/ame]

Truth is it does not matter 99.9% of the time. You can be a taunt masher in the highest end guild of all time and not notice.. if you have a clicky haste item, then the taunt buttom refreshes every 5 seconds...

That means WORST case, you lose 5 seconds before you can try to taunt again. ie you lose aggro.. 5 seconds later you can click taunt.

Meanwhile the better tank loses aggro, immidiately presses taunt again since it is up.

*MOST* of the time, the worse tank will kill the aggro ganker and regain aggro, sometimes people switch heals and it's a mess but good setups/healers won't.

*MOST* of the time, the "good" tank will do the same, but once in a while, the good tank will get a sucessful taunt within 1s and the aggro ganker will live through 1 round..

Very neglibible in a raid situation (although may save a raid once in a while), so that's why high end raiders don't know squat sometimes because it is a mistake that's uncatchable...

Taunt can in no way reduce your aggro.

Not sure how that idea ever got conceived.