Space tourism!

kirbanmanaburn

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Would anyone else out there totally be willing to fork over their left nut for a ride in one of these 'commercial' space craft that Richard Branson is building?

Apparently a ride into space is going to cost $200,000. If I had it, I'd do it.

Nawp. I have some rules in life.

1.) Don't get in a plane unless you can't drive it.
2.) Never jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
3.) Space = Cool to watch, bad to go to.
4.) Never jump off of a bridge with rubber band saving your life.

Are a some of them.

Fuck yea id i had the money id do it, would be awesome.

Dude, of all the places and ways to die, space has to be my #1. The charred remains of my body drifiting through the universe for eternity strikes me as a hell of a lot more interesting than dying of prostate cancer and getting buried in Queens.

Can you imagine some alien trying to get through work in an interplanetary rush hour having to call galactic AAA because he slammed into your 2 million year old corpse (space = vacuum = no decomposition)?

Bring on the space plane accidents! We all gotta go someday.

We all gotta die someday but lets not make that day sooner that it needs to be.

And If i get terminal cancer you will know it. Ill be that guy who flew the private plane into the great pyramids or smth.

Or the guy that rolls into a police station with a bunch of bb guns going bang bang bang.

Until then, ill stay grounded.

Can you imagine some alien trying to get through work in an interplanetary rush hour having to call galactic AAA because he slammed into your 2 million year old corpse (space = vacuum = no decomposition)?

Being a vacuum, assuming your in a spacesuit, there would be enough oxygen to decompose the body. If your out of a suit, your going to be a pile of mush, un identifiable as a corpse ;)

Either way though, being ordinary sucks. I would do anything to be special, if being the first human remains to circle the earth or drift into space is the only way, fuck it ;)

No way, I would not want to take this trip. I've been on flights that have gone bad and that's enough air/space travel for me now.

Maybe 300 years from now..we are not ready for this yet. (safely anyway!)

Lack of air pressure would rip your body to shreds.

I found this answer..

This question is asked quite often and almost always answered incorrectly. NASA has actually studied this and has a webpage devoted to it. Do note that two Russian cosmonauts died from exposure to vacuum in space, and thus we have actual bodies that have been studied as well.

The primary cause of death on being exposed to the vacuum of space is asphixiation (lack of oxygen) and it takes just as long to die in space as it would if you were drowning. You'll have about 30 to 60 seconds of "useful consciousness" after which point you will pass out. Brain death will occur in about five minutes.

The myths:

You will explode. No. Your skin is tough enough to hold you together. You could, however, rupture your lungs if you attempted to hold your breath. Also, the capillaries near the surface of your skin would rupture, leaving you with what would essentally be a full-body hickey.

Your blood will instantly boil. No. "The bends" experienced by deep sea divers who surface too quickly take about 30 minutes to set in. In space, you will be dead from asphixiation long before your blood would boil.

You will instantly freeze. No. There is no conductive path for your body heat to easily escape to space. In fact, space would not feel cold...it would not feel like anything.

You will instantly burn. No, but you could get a severe sunburn in as little as 30 seconds.

The bottom line is that you could survive exposure to space for up to two minutes provided you are immediately returned to a pressurized environment. The only popular movie that has ever depicted this with some accuracy is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Last edited:
well i officially feel enlightened! thanks Alex! I honestly thought tho, that such a vacuum would literally tear you apart. the other "myths" tho are quite funny, id never heard of the others!

Nawp. I have some rules in life.

1.) Don't get in a plane unless you can't drive it.

Are a some of them.

Statistically (don't ask for source! lol) it is more dangerous for you to drive it then fly it. You are more likely to die on your car ride to the airport then from a plane crash. Logically, you may be a very good driver, but the world is filled with idiots and although you drive safely, that doesn't mean someone won't drive smack into you and kill you in a big ball of fire. Sure, airplanes can have mechanical problems and you can't just pull over to the side of the road, but speaking from over 3000+ flight hours aircrewing on C130's, 4 inflight emergencies where we shut down motors in the air out in the middle of the ocean lol, and lots of time spent working on the airframe.......and even after one of our planes collided witha helo killing everyone onboard :( , I can say I feel more safe flying then I do driving.

For the most part, pilots are good at what they do, have lots of training, lots of support, go through periodic checks to make sure they know what they are doing and so on. I cannot say the same for all the people driving cars around me. In fact, I think I can safely say that many of the people driving cars really shouldn't be. Drunk drivers, people not paying attention, very elderly people that refuse to stop driving even though they can't see worth shit and are constantly driving into buildings if you're lucky.....people walking on sidewalks if you're not...

Oh, and I'd pay the $200k for space flight if I was so rich that $200k was pocket change....or at most 2 months of pay, but otherwise no. Rather travel to another country and go bar hoping

Last edited:
Statistically (don't ask for source! lol) it is more dangerous for you to drive it then fly it. You are more likely to die on your car ride to the airport then from a plane crash. Logically, you may be a very good driver, but the world is filled with idiots and although you drive safely, that doesn't mean someone won't drive smack into you and kill you in a big ball of fire. Sure, airplanes can have mechanical problems and you can't just pull over to the side of the road, but speaking from over 3000+ flight hours aircrewing on C130's, 4 inflight emergencies where we shut down motors in the air out in the middle of the ocean lol, and lots of time spent working on the airframe.......and even after one of our planes collided witha helo killing everyone onboard :( , I can say I feel more safe flying then I do driving.

For the most part, pilots are good at what they do, have lots of training, lots of support, go through periodic checks to make sure they know what they are doing and so on. I cannot say the same for all the people driving cars around me. In fact, I think I can safely say that many of the people driving cars really shouldn't be. Drunk drivers, people not paying attention, very elderly people that refuse to stop driving even though they can't see worth shit and are constantly driving into buildings if you're lucky.....people walking on sidewalks if you're not...

Oh, and I'd pay the $200k for space flight if I was so rich that $200k was pocket change....or at most 2 months of pay, but otherwise no. Rather travel to another country and go bar hoping

Oh trust me I am well aware of that. However fears are seldom rational. I guess its more of the lack of control thing that gets to me.

As a daily user of Branson's Virgin Trains, I can only say I hope that the space shuttles break down less often than the intercity. At least when I'm late I'm just left standing on the track - not circling aimlessly in orbit...

:)

As a daily user of Branson's Virgin Trains, I can only say I hope that the space shuttles break down less often than the intercity. At least when I'm late I'm just left standing on the track - not circling aimlessly in orbit...

:)

uh oh. not encouraging!

Hrm..left or right?

The answer kirbanmanaburn is that i would sell one of them for this ride, but i better be able to get 400k out of it some how. I would want to be able to pay for it twice. It is probably like sex, or cheetos. You know one/once is not enough. As for the risks, who cares. If i die, i die. At least you know you will be on CNN for a week or two. Big explosion, massive investigations, that kind of thing. The only reason i would wait (assuming i could afford it in the first place) would be to see if there were the chance of a field trip to the moon. I so want to go there.
Just my thoughts
lbx!

Awesome post. I never thought about some of these conundrums. Hopefully I can use it in an argument soon.

I would fork over the 200k, or invest to to build my own space vehicle.

The only reason i would wait (assuming i could afford it in the first place) would be to see if there were the chance of a field trip to the moon. I so want to go there.
Just my thoughts
lbx!

he is already planning on that, orbits are part one of his giant plan to own space and all things related. But seriously, he's said in video's that he plans to make trips to the moon. Plus for a cool 100 mil you can get the Russian's to take you now ;p

if there is one thing I could do while alive this would be it.