Question Need Help Please

EQDAB

Premium Member
Reaction score
:eek: About to lose my mind, I've spent hours and hours setting up my spells and hotkeys. Over and over. I get it all just right. If I zone or log/change chars. When I come back its all gone. Blank hotbars, no saved spells sets. I'm not getting any error msgs. And I've verified I own/have access to the whole folder. No +R, +S. I'm baffled, serious all out of ideas. Oh and it's happening to all chars. I've honestly spent 3 days/nights. With zero playtime. Thanks for any help/ideas! Not weird enough, the files DO have a updated/current date/time stamp, just like if a file is modified, go figure. Help :eek:

Doubtless you know, but all I can think of is to repeat what you are saying. Making sure you use explorer to take ownership (recursively) of the EQ root folder/files, then adding specific ACL for your username with Full Control (recursively), and verifying you can edit charname_servername.ini file(s) in your EQ dir (try with notepad as the user, add a space or something, save). You could also try removing it and let it be created.

You don't have the EQ folder in program files / pf86 do you? You can set up ownership and perms in there, but it's not worth the windows hassle for most users, if so, I'd move it.

Good luck.

htw

Reactions: EQDAB
Thanks htw, you prompted some deeper thinking

Doubtless you know, but all I can think of is to repeat what you are saying. Making sure you use explorer to take ownership (recursively) of the EQ root folder/files, then adding specific ACL for your username with Full Control (recursively), and verifying you can edit charname_servername.ini file(s) in your EQ dir (try with notepad as the user, add a space or something, save). You could also try removing it and let it be created.

You don't have the EQ folder in program files / pf86 do you? You can set up ownership and perms in there, but it's not worth the windows hassle for most users, if so, I'd move it.

Good luck.

htw

Thank you htw for your thoughts, you were 1 the ones I most hoped to hear from. Everquest is located on D: as in D:\Games\Everquest. MQ2 is also a sub off of D:\Games. Keeps everything away from windows usually. I leave it alone unless it screws w/me. I'm generally a very orderly & consistent PC'er. IBM/MS DOS drummed that in long ago.
~Just thought of something, I usually have NP++ running while playing. Started that @ when I began playing EQ. Made more sense then multi occurrences of notepad running (I write even worse then I type, can't read my own handwritten notes a day much less maybe wks./yrs later). And the stroke didn't help that any either. Yep that reduced me to 1-handed pecking. EQ always required lots of notes and things to remember. And MQ doubled all that, hehe. Nowadays I use Excel for all that (very orderly & holds everything, even links and pictures, easy to search too. I finally just after the stroke trashed all my old notes/maps/etc. Was shocked how much there was. I had more in notes then many even know about EQ. I thank God EQ fan-sites came along.
~You know how NP++ will auto-reopen last used/open files? Don't think EQ somehow takes exception to that do you? I don't mean anything is unsaved or actively being edited. LOL -- I'm betting that's it, but I'll test it out & prove it thru.

Think I'm gonna try these in order:
1) Out of Game-Using Notepad to edit the files (like you suggested). Successful
2) Make sure all other apps with file or drive access are closed. Check
3) In Game-Repeat #1 Successful
4) Set up a active real-time monitor on the files. (when does EQ update?) I never needed to know before I guess. I did this, but not needed, EQ is now updating fine as normal. I think it was Win10 f**k'in w/me, write protecting files. I did have to fix that 2-3 times.
5) Backup/Move my files. Cross fingers & hope EQ recreates correctly.
6) Cut my irritation and move on to something else. Invested way too much time & $ in this damn game anyway.

Till acct. expires I'll continue to drop by time to time & see what's new. Old habits hard to break for an old man. Besides I'm one of those always hopeful types ie; maybe it'll pop, drop item next time, Lol.

I sincerely appreciate your knowledge and intelligent views. You ARE my kind of people.

Last edited:
Those are some good ideas man, I hope you resolve it, we like having you around lol.
For the monitoring, I would recommend using sysinternals (microsoft now) file monitor, it's part of their process monitor: Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
You can turn off all by file monitoring, then add a filter(s) to show only what you are interested in watching.

It sounds like the folder / files are read only.

I have heard that SSD's can go into a read only mode when they reach end of life.

#1 - See if you can manually edit / save the files, then see if those changes are reflected in the game.

#2 - Delete the ini files and let them get recreated. Verify they are there.

#3 - Verify that you really are running out of D:\Games\Everyquest

#4 - Run D:\Games\Everquest\OptionsEditor and force it to redetect your hardware.

#5 - If you are running WinEQ2 -- try running w/o it.

I helped someone with this exact same issue, even her UI was reseeting, to find out her download was from Steam.

My suggestion is to try to downloaf the game through the site and instead of using steam to launch (if you are) just use the launchpad.

Nice ...

Those are some good ideas man, I hope you resolve it, we like having you around lol.
For the monitoring, I would recommend using sysinternals (microsoft now) file monitor, it's part of their process monitor: Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
You can turn off all by file monitoring, then add a filter(s) to show only what you are interested in watching.

Wow was exactly my first choice (great minds, huh, lol). About to get back to it, hopefully good news tonight!

Ah would be nice, would rather walk again, so I can get use desktop.

It sounds like the folder / files are read only.

I have heard that SSD's can go into a read only mode when they reach end of life.

#1 - See if you can manually edit / save the files, then see if those changes are reflected in the game.

#2 - Delete the ini files and let them get recreated. Verify they are there.

#3 - Verify that you really are running out of D:\Games\Everyquest

#4 - Run D:\Games\Everquest\OptionsEditor and force it to redetect your hardware.

#5 - If you are running WinEQ2 -- try running w/o it.

I wish, this is a junk laptop, well its not too bad, least its something I can use at the moment. What I mean is NO SSD on this ;(. Files are there atm. Put the delete idea IS on my list too, thanks. All help IS appreciated by this crowd, you all are generally amazing! You know the detect idea is quick-n-easy, super thought!

Umm I forgot - UI .. IS resetting too Grr

I helped someone with this exact same issue, even her UI was reseeting, to find out her download was from Steam.

My suggestion is to try to downloaf the game through the site and instead of using steam to launch (if you are) just use the launchpad.
I have some probs., More then a few Macs need help. But I own the WHOLE thing initial release through every expansion. Almost embarrassed to admit that. Wait, I didn't buy the current expansion. They screwed SHD too bad. Was either skip it & hope for better next time. Or change Main Char. again, didn't really wanna do that yet. Thanks darling. But I know now to avoid those too good to be true Steam deals/sales, thanks again.