How To: Host Your Own EQEmu Server

Yoda007

Lifetimer
Reaction score
This is a guide for those who wish to run their own EQEMU 0.7.0 server.

1. Download all of the following:
mySQL 4.0.23
ActiveState Perl 5.8
EQEmulator map files
Cavedude's ServerPack 3.52

2. Installation -

MySql

• Install MySql 4.0.23 to C:\mysql
  • After installation is complete, navigate to "C:\mysql\bin" and double click winmysqladmin.exe.
  • This will open up a window to enter a username and password. Use "eq" for both username and password.

Perl

• Install ActivePerl 5.8 to C:\perl
  • After installation is complete, click "Start" then "Run" and type in "ppm" and press Enter.
  • In the PPM window, you will now need to install 3 packages. Do this by typing the following:
    "Install DBI"
    "Install DBD-mysql"
    "Install IO-stringy"
  • After all 3 are installed, close the PPM window

Cavedude's ServerPack 3.25

• Install Cavedude's ServerPack using which options you feel are necessary. To install a server for LAN play, choose MiniLogin Server. Remember whether you chose cavedude's database or the PEQ database because you will need to manually configure the XML file if you chose PEQ.
  • After you have chosen your options, proceed with installation and wait for the database to build (can take up to 10 mins on slow computers).
  • *note - I would like to add that it took a bit longer than 10 minutes for me to source the db's. It took about 35 minutes to source both cavedude and PEQ's db using cavedudes server pack setup. The only reason I mention this is so that people don't think the sourcing froze up. My advice is to be patient and give it some time. )

Editing the eqemu config.xml

Editing this file may be required depending on your installation options. It is located in your EqEmu directory (default is "C:\EqEmu"). If you chose the PEQ database, you need to change your db option to peq.

Finishing Touches

Now it's time to finish up the installation. You just have to run a few sql commands and you will be ready to roll. If you used the PEQ databases, Click on "Start" then "Run" and type in "C:\mysql\bin\mysql -u root peq". Now type in " GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON peq.* TO eq@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'eq' WITH GRANT OPTION; " If you used cavedude's database, replace "peq" with "eq".

For minilogin -> To add users, while MySql is still open, type "insert into account (name,status, minilogin_ip) values('YOURUSERNAMEHERE',250,'127.0.0.1');" 127.0.0.1 is the local ip. If you are running the server on another machine, you will need to update this IP address with your own.

Now extract the Map to "C:\EqEmu\Maps" directory, then copy spells_us and spells_en from your Everquest folder to "C:\EqEmu". Now run the shortcut to EqEmu on your desktop and you are good to go.

What do i change to make my server show up and name it?

So that it will show up where? Are you running a Public Server and have your eqhost files pointing to eqemulator.net:5998 ? Then register it on eqemulator.net here http://www.eqemulator.net/server_reg.php Or, do you mean a LAN Only Server ? If Lan, you have to make eqhost file point to your Server's ip address.

forgive my ignorance but, what would this really be good for? Could you use this to farm aa and exp and such? With mm Macro's?

dust said:
forgive my ignorance but, what would this really be good for? Could you use this to farm aa and exp and such? With mm Macro's?

Ever wonder what a zone is like? say Time , Tacvi anything.. u can explore it and see how to get where... its a really good tool.

there is other programs out there to do that. Is there mobs and such can you fight or is it a basic map reader that puts you in the zone?

dust said:
there is other programs out there to do that. Is there mobs and such can you fight or is it a basic map reader that puts you in the zone?
Going way off topic.. U can make your own mobs , you can spawn them you can encounter a fight before u do it... U can give the exact same items ur char has to another char and see if u can solo it ( given u make the mob hit for the same , hp etc.) Very powerful tool of learning. Hosting your own server is really for fun ;)

ineed help

im having trouble getting my own EQEMU started i am stuck after i install everything could really use sum help would appricate it

justin said:
im having trouble getting my own EQEMU started i am stuck after i install everything could really use sum help would appricate it

well, if you followed the guide you shouldnt have any problems, go over it and double check you did all the steps.

the link for the my SQL link is broken, any chance got a new link or a link that works?

Is the still able to work .. if i set up and can i install old copie of titanium not patch and will that work

edit: ok i got to the eq login page, but i have no user name or password, how do i create these?

I'm getting stuck on the finishing touches section.
Can someone please show the exact syntax, and what to type.
Its confusing, do I include the " " .
thanks

edit
insert into account (name,status, minilogin_ip) values('YOURUSERNAMEHERE',250,'127.0.0.1');"

does my user name already exist, or is this where i create a new user name. or can i just enter any name here. and do i include quote marks in the command?

Last edited:
what kind of field is "status" in the datbase? If it's text, you'll need single quotes

try this:

USE tablenamehere

INSERT into ACCOUNT (name,status, minilogin_ip) values ('YOURUSERNAMEHERE','250','127.0.0.1')

I also removed the ; and " and the end. If that doesn't work, try:

USE tablenamehere
INSERT into ACCOUNT (name,status, minilogin_ip) values ('YOURUSERNAMEHERE',250,'127.0.0.1');

install help

I just want to play on one computer, no hosting , no lan play. do I choose minilogin, or server when i install mysql?

Minilogin if you dont want people from other places than your local network to be able to connect.

i did everything it said to do and didnt work even reinstalled titanium and started everything over 3 times still not working

can't get it to work.. just get this error:

Code:
[06.30. - 21:22:17] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_debug_0356.log
[06.30. - 21:22:17] [LAUNCHER__INIT] Loading server configuration..
[06.30. - 21:22:18] [NET__WORLD] WorldConnection connect: Connecting to the server 127.0.0.1:9000 failed: TCPConnection::Connect(): connect() failed. Error: 10061
[06.30. - 21:22:18] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] worldserver.Connect() FAILED! Will retry.
[06.30. - 21:22:18] [LAUNCHER__INIT] Starting main loop...

what do i wrong.. i installed not the cavedude, link is broken. I installed the ServerPack of ProjectEQ...

I did it step by step but when i try to run the Mysql with hte /u root command, it will close immadently
Could anyone help me ?

got it.. just reboot your system... sry