Computer trouble.

Rooster95

Premium Member
Reaction score
Having a computer problem if anyone can maybe help. When an icon is clicked, it will shut the comp down. Mostly web based stuff like yahoo messenger or IE. Anyone have an idea what could cause this? Asking this to help a friend get hers going again so i really don't have any more details than that for now. She said she did a wipe and restore and it was still doing it, but i don't think she really understands what that means. I'm more inclined to believe that she just ran repair with the install discs and it didn't help.

Does a System Shutdown appear like this in the pic?

shutdown5.jpg

If so you can just go to Run and type shutdown -a to abort. It may be a worm/malware, i encountered something similar at work. Anytime the user tried to open a certain link to a website it would prompt to shutdown.

Screen Shots

Screen Shots ARE your FRIEND!
So Is Information!

One thing you may want to do is a Cntrl+Alt+Delete.

Do this first when the 'Alleged' "ShutDown" Window appears

This SHOULD bring up some options, if you're running XP Pro, depending on how and who your OS was set up, you should have the option to log on, and the option to start the task manager with this.

Since I don't have any information regarding the nature of the operating system you are using, I'm going to go on the assumption that it's windows.

This means, it's either Vista, XP, or 7.

Now, I'd hope if it where 7, you'd be posting this on the Microsoft boards as well. Since' I'm going to assume you're not in 7 now, and you don't care for Microsoft's opinion on it, I'm gonna tell you this:

-1) There is a processes tab in the task manager, you can use this to attempt to curb any malicious activity on your machine by manipulating what processes you leave running. I'm going to assume at this point, that you DO NOT have any word processors, or any other applications running, that do not directly affect your ability to interact with teh machine. I'm also going to assume at this point that you've unplugged an removed any external hard drives, or other devices you have connected to your machine, that are not a single mouse and keyboard.

-2) I'm going to assume that this "SHUTDOWN" window, hasn't ever actually shut down the computer yet!?!?!
-3) I'm going to have to work on the assumption that you're not talking about the window that updates you that Microsoft is done with it's next regiment of security updates and wants to restart your computer for you.
-4) I've got to operate on the assumption that there is no indication to have you purchase anything, or confirm anything, and there's no where for you to put in your email address.

At this point I have to say that, if the shutdown box you speak of, is what I'm thinking it is, you have a virus, and the only way you're going to get rid of "IT", is going to be to reinstall your operating system, or choose a better and new, much faster and freer operating system.

Now, I could sit here and beat around the bush with you, but the fact of it is, you're probably not in the mood for that, you want the straight hard truth, and the truth is, if you've got a box that pop's up over everything else on your computer, without you asking or telling it to, and it says it wants to shut your computer down, then someone else has way more control over your PC than you're ever going to have again, unless you format everything and start from scratch.

If you decide this is you, and you want to know how to go about doing it, simply ask and I'll continue.

If you're in a different operating system than I descried, please go ahead and give us some more information so we know how to help you.

I'm not sure which operating system she's running, but according to her when it shuts down there is no warning. No messages. Nothing. Just instant shut down. You click and its turned off before you can blink. When you turn it back on, there are no error messages no computer shut down unexpectedly...NOTHING. The operating system is vista, so thats probably half of the problem right there lol.

Last edited:
Got an update from her. Here are some of the finer points of what she told me:

Its vista home. double click to open anything and it would crash. Yahoo messenger, IE didn't work as it was but if I clicked to open netscape or firefox...whatever, it would instantly shut down. Some folders would cause it sometimes...but not always. I mean, I managed to save my pics and shit to cds but every time I opened a folder I took a chance on it crashing. I tried going in through safemode. If I used safemode with networking, I could go on the net OR use yahoo but it was for limited times. I could go on for maybe 10 minutes or 30 seconds...then computer would shut off. NO warning or any particular thing I did would trigger it in safemode. Just there one second and off the next.

Maybe that will help some. She's not in the best financial shape right now so i'm trying to help her get this one fixed instead of her having to come up with the money to buy another one.

I would have her back up all of her important pictures, docs, and other stuff to a flash drive or removable HDD (depending on the amount of stuff).

Then I would load a fresh image of her operating system on her machine. If she has a Dell, HP, etc she should have some sort of system disc that she should be able to use and reload the OS.

That disc should also put all of her drivers back on her PC for her. The ones that it doesn't you should be able to find at the maker's website.

Troubleshooting and fixing the actual issue will likely take you much much longer than just simply rebuilding. Plus her box will run better than ever with a fresh load on it.

I personally like to have a fresh OS installed on my boxes once a year. I have imagines though so it only takes a few hours and very little effort on my part.

Personally, if it's not showing any other signs of malware / viruses.. just shutting down. I would suspect possibly bad hardware. Memory, CPU, PSU are all equally possible culprits for the description. If it's memory it could be as soon as she clicks to open something and it tries to write to the bad memory sector that she is getting a bsod and just not seeing the bsod and shutting off.

Same thing for cpu, doing stuff making the cpu do any type of load could be crashing it.

Or it could be the psu not supplying sufficient power when the processor tries to start processing something.

All 3 can produce somewhat random seeming computer shutdowns without warning.

I would suspect a virus or spyware would have more evil intent, like trying to redirect her to other websites or keep the computer open to try and steal passwords. Not very many viruses out there that are simply written to cause the user problems like shutting down the computer hehe :)

I think the biggest issue is the unclear what a "crash/shutdown" is in this situation.

Does the machine physically power off immediately?
Does it go through a standard windows shutdown process?

I mean I've had things be as dumb as "Did she spill coke on her keyboard and it has a hibernate button that's stuck down and randomly activating?"

With your description, if it's giving no errors on boot, I would assume it's either hibernating/sleeping or doing a clean shutdown. If the power was just dieing, it's likely that'd she see a "your computer has unexpectedly shutdown" or something, unless all that crap got disabled (most people don't, or don't know how). If it was a hardware issue, I would assume so on boot messages about having shut down unexpectedly.

However you said no warrning, no nothing just bam turned off.

Those two descriptions, unless your machine hibernates or shuts down in less than a second, are at odds with each other.

Also mjtizzle, you can have that command execute immediately and the thing might flash for less than a second and it's on it's way to shutting down.

When having shuts downs without,
Blue Screen
Notifications
Suspicious Task Manager processes

I'd go through a few steps to test stuff out.

1: I'd open your computer and turn it on. check your Video Card, CPU, and Power Supply Fan. If ones not running replace a bearing or buy a new one.

2: Trial and error of flopping RAM sticks in different slots (assuming you have more than one Slot and RAM card?)

If you can't find a problem there you can always try to Repair your OS with your OS CD, use the 2nd repair option and not the first offered in the prompt.

Corrupted OS files, a Virus, etc may have made damage you won't be able to recover. You can always try to Repair your OS with your OS CD, use the 2nd repair option, not the first.

Feel free to PM me some information for more detailed help.

Step 1.) Remove Computer from Kitchen.

Problem solved.

yea wtf is she doing on a computer. the only thing she should be messing with is the stove and the oven and in a pinch maybe a microwave. This is why women shouldn't have computers

I'm going with heat related or dying power supply. And btw, the only reason my computer is near the kitchen is so I can smell smoke faster.

This:

When having shuts downs without,
Blue Screen
Notifications
Suspicious Task Manager processes

I'd go through a few steps to test stuff out.

1: I'd open your computer and turn it on. check your Video Card, CPU, and Power Supply Fan. If ones not running replace a bearing or buy a new one.

That different mouse thing really could be true. Some guy spilled coffee on his mouse where I work. Every time he clicked an email it would also delete it. And for some reason on some web pages it would make the page scroll down. I've seen it do some funny shit.