Best DPS Class?

FWIW, druid is markedly better in most all caster (mage/wiz) groups unless you are using group hot as your primary heal method. The remote nuke heals + fire debuffs + fire aura nuke proc yields higher overall group dps than with a shaman.

This will "possibly" be my next 6 box team if I decide to take one from the ground up again...

Dru/Enc/Mag/Mag/Wiz/Wiz

I previously did one that was...

Dru/Brd/Mag/Mag/Mag/Wiz

Interesting. I recently came back and started a new bot group relative to what I knew back when I last played in house of thule. My group currently consists of:

Code:
Paladin
Cleric
Enchanter

Beastlord
Ranger
Berserker
Would it be worth it to drop any of the DPS I currently have for a wizard?

Dump the chanter for a shaman and beastlord for a wizard. Having the shaman big cat proc (Lion, Leopard, Lynx) on all those melees alone would be serious damage on top of their dps.

Interesting. I recently came back and started a new bot group relative to what I knew back when I last played in house of thule. My group currently consists of:

Code:
Paladin
Cleric
Enchanter

Beastlord
Ranger
Berserker
Would it be worth it to drop any of the DPS I currently have for a wizard?

Dump the chanter for a shaman and beastlord for a wizard. Having the shaman big cat proc (Lion, Leopard, Lynx) on all those melees alone would be serious damage on top of their dps.

Better yet, dump the Chanter for a Bard. Bst and Shm have too much in common so would be a lot of redundancies while a bard will increase everyone's DPS much more than a Shm.

actually, dump the clr for shm and enc for brd. group synergy can really boost overall dps.

so a pal,shm,brd+3 different melee or hybrid will always be a lot of dps due to skill stackage plus you get the full range of pal(clr) and shm buffs and plenty of mez capability.

same stackage applies for dru/brd(or enc) + 4 int casters. mucho dps.

it is kind of like the idea that wizards are awesome dps but having a tank/healer + 4 wiz isnt as effective as having a mage in there. the mage can sort of keep up with the wizard, adds a pet tank, and adds mod rods. mod rods are the difference between nonstop pulls (i literally can go 24 hours straight with mobs in camp engaged and never leaving Me.CombatState.Equal[COMBAT]) and needing to med.

I'd go Pal, Clr, Brd, Wiz*3 you're never going to run oom on a wizard anyway and if you do the cleric has quiet miracle.

Group melee SUCKS ASS compared to a group wizard. Talking twice the DPS maybe more.

I'd go Pal, Clr, Brd, Wiz*3 you're never going to run oom on a wizard anyway and if you do the cleric has quiet miracle.

Group melee SUCKS ASS compared to a group wizard. Talking twice the DPS maybe more.

That may change given that Decap/Assassinate/Headshot will start working on level 99 mobs...

Ya was about to edit my post :) Hopefully it closes the gap but it probably wont. Right now my 6k AA Group Geared Wizard out sustains my 10k AA Top 5 raid geared zerker. I can beat it in a burn but over 500 mobs I'm 5-6k behind.

been faffinf around with this for a bit, found that synergy works a charm for these things.

i run warrior, druid, chanter, bard and 2 wizzys.

if i run into something that the warrior can't tank with the druid in group i punt him and stick a cleric merc in both groups, and use the druid to dps instead of healing.

I would have had an SK to tank with instead of the warrior but he is my original and i am sentimental.

my reasoning for this is that setup is that the aura of the chanter+KEI-line+druidskin+bardsongs means i don't have to stop ever, and you can tweak the wizzyz to hardcast their most manaintecive nukes much more than normal.

chanter is tehre for slows obviously, but also to maximize the dmg output of the druid/wizzys, burn with this group is silly.

bard for pulls, if done right you can have a mob always in camp, hell you can pull whole packs and AE mezz and keep chewing with the warrior only ever stopping to use the rest line.

the only thing i ever found wanting in this group is the AC buff to go with druidskin and symbol.

as i said earlier, knowing what i know now, SK for tank instead of the warr, more utility, higher tanking dps and well, SK's are cool.

another setup i have tried was.

warr, shaman, bard, zerker, ranja, rogue/cleric for last spot depending on how hard the content was. this group was abandoned due to problems with boxing in ROF, too many mobs had harsh PBAE's and knockbacks to box/bot comfortably.

anyways just my 2 cp.

I think you would find, depending on how you are geared, assuming your max aa, that Zerkers would give any Wiz a challenge, considering how often my wizzys nukes get resisted.

equally geared maxed aad zerk vs wiz, wiz wins

having support classes (bard chanter or shm for zerk) just make wizards even more bad ass, its not a personal opinion, if u dont know how to play both classes to their max potential u just dont know, otherwise rely on parses from folks that do.

With no Adps wizard/necro are king, with minimal support mage is up there. Beastlord/Zerker/Monk sustained is all not far behind or higher/on par with support.

Classes currently behind are Rogue/Ranger by clear margins, though neither are terrible.

If I was you I'd go Sk/Sham/Enc/Bard/Wiz +1 You can add anything in this slot really, any of the melee or casters would work and you would have everything you need even to min/max a hybrid.

If you stay with war/druid/enc/wiz/wiz I would drop the war for a mage and make the bard a sixth. Mage pets aren't subject to debuffs tanks deal with etc and you're overall group dps would be ridiculous. Probably 10-15s kills on named max.

Rogues are far from behind in DPS. Rangers yes.

equally geared maxed aad zerk vs wiz, wiz wins

having support classes (bard chanter or shm for zerk) just make wizards even more bad ass, its not a personal opinion, if u dont know how to play both classes to their max potential u just dont know, otherwise rely on parses from folks that do.

So basically, what they want you to know is....if you have bard/bst or shammy, your Zerker will beat the wizzard. If you dont have support classes, you can just take the lame route and get a Necro and Wiz and hope you dont get aggro.

Wizzards dont be me in raid, and the necro's only beat Zerkers in LONG DURATION or Range only fights. If they dont raid, well then...they dont know.

if you have a bard and or chanter...... same applies for wizard (its called a well made dps grp)

On raids the class that most goes splat is zerk (what ive seen going back to voa)

usually necros and wizards at least from my experience in raids arent tards and actually use their deaggro abilities, for some reason that cant be said about the zerk class, maybe ive just never seen a well played zerk and I raid current content.

I dont hate zerk class, I have my own, and they can be great dps, the question was asked who is the best and this is what ive found.

Where's the love for Rangers? :)

Ranger #10 (she's a uncurable stupid bitch)

I'm surprised at this. Despite the nerf, Rangers can still headshot humanoids one at a time. I can walk into a room of five blues and take them all down in less than two minutes soloing with the ranger. He can wear heavier armor than a Wiz so he's more durable, and he's more fun because of less time spent rezzing him. :)

Another surprisingly durable character is a well outfitted rogue. His assassinate skill is awesome!

Beserker can decapitate, but I have not tried that class.

Last edited:
I would have had an SK to tank with instead of the warrior but he is my original and i am sentimental.

I recently came back to EQ after I quit 10 years ago. I started with an SK. He died everytime I tried to kill a blue mob in "The Dream." He was extremely squishy to be a "Heroic" character. I decided to build a team, so I put together 6 Heroics (thanks to a friend that has a few dozen of them from when they were free). I went back to "The Dream" with confidence in my new team. The entire team died on the the first wisp in the J5 quest. It was embarrassing. The bot had the SK feign death and I got him up when I should have let him stay down so his pet could tank the wisp. His pet tanked better than he did. So, I ditched the SK for a WAR. I ditched my DRU healer for a CLE. Suddenly the world was a better place, at least the world of Everquest was a better place! :)