WinEQ2 and MQ2 issue

devestator

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I haven't used WinEQ2 in a while, but wanted to start using it again recently. But, I'm running into a weird problem that I'm not immediately seeing a solution for.

I store all my macro files and such on a network drive (raid 5 nas system for backup and such). In this case I have it mapped to my computer as V:\, so in Macroquest2.ini I set my macros folder to V:\Macroquest2\Macros\ (this is the folder I store them in).

If I launch EQ normally through eqgame.exe patchme, everything works fine.

But, if I launch through WinEQ2, it tells me "Couldn't open macro file V:\Macroquest2\Macros\xxxx.mac". I've tried disable EQPlayNice in WinEQ2 in case that was part of the problem, but didn't help any.

This happens with both MMOBugs and the latest source download from macroquest2.com. Also happens regardless to if I run stuff as administrator or not, and continues post computer reboot.

Very peculiar and something I haven't ran into before nor see an immediate solution for.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The only elevation I've attempted is right clicking the executable and do Run As Administrator. Not sure if there is another form of elevation as I've never had need for more than that, and rarely even need that since my user is configured as an admin already.

Also just to note, I'm on Windows 8.1 atm, and I have UAC set to never notify (the lowest setting).

It will still use a different user for the credentials - which is what MQ2 will have to use, based on the process it injects into.

run cmd normally: net use
run cmd as admin: net use

You should see V: mapped on normal, and nothing on admin.

To fix it, in the elevated cmd prompt, type:

net use v: \\share\name /savecred /persistent:yes

And make sure the admin user (or administrators group) has full control on the MQ2 dir on the share.

htw