What language?

Terribletwo

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am planning on going back to school to learn some ability to code. However, since I am addicted to both EQ and MQ2, which programming language would be most beneficial to learn first in order to be able to help add to the wealth of macros that are found here? I know that both visual basic and C++ are able to be used, but was looking for the opinions of those with much more experience than I have.

TT

Hmm, I wasn't aware that visual basic could be used for anything dealing with macroquest. It's all C++ as far as I know. You might could possible do a plugin with Visual Basic, but I'm not even sure about that, I'd have to look into how the plugins are structured.

With that said, if all you are concerned about is working on stuff in macroquest, go with C++. But if your wanting it for something besides Macroquest, it would depend on what your wanting to do. If you are wanting to make basic windows app, visual basic is the fastest environment to create them in. In .Net Visual Basic closed a lot of the gap between VB and C++ in terms of raw power, VB is still slightly slower than C++ but it serves it's purposes. I would argue that the primary purpose of VB is rapid application development.

I'd do C++ for starters and then attempt to get C# and .Net done after that...

I wouldn't expect you to be writing plugins or anything anytime soon. But any language he picks up where he is able to follow the flow of code execution should be beneficial to him writing macros.

If your ultimate goal with the programming class is to get credits and not make a career out of it, I would recommend doing small scripting/interpreted languages rather than the compiled languages. After picking up something basic like BASH (or Perl), you should be able to look at a macro with better understanding on how it works.

Now, if you plan on actually using this knowledge for something related to your career, I would recommend C++ or Java.

just my 0.02.

Looking to segue into a career in the IT field some day. I have a feeling that that VB would be the way I could move towards C++ and actually understand that later. Will probably look at Cisco and Microsoft certifications some day in the future. But, I appreciate the ideas so far.

Also, I might just be totally in the dark about macros and plugins. I know a very little bit of C++ atm, but need to get more familiar with the logic. Once upon at time when I programmed in Apple Basic (yes, I am old), I understood the logic of the program with all the goto commands. However, that is so much simpler, that even I can understand it. Guess it will be off to Barnes & Noble to buy a copy of VB for Dummies, C++ for Dummies, C# for Dummies, etc.

TT

While VB can be incredibly powerful for making basic programs, it has somewhat of a limited job market (at least where I live).

With C++, you are more open with what you can do and where you can do it. While VB is limited to the Microsoft world, C++ has a compiler for just about every current platform.

In job market share where I live, programming positions seem to be laid out like this:

Java
PHP
Perl/Python
C/C++
VB/C#
ASM (usually for integrated or custom devices)

I'd recommend checking out craigslist.org for your area and see what people are hiring and what they are paying.

As far as Cisco/MSFT certs...those are completely different beasts in a completely different scope.

I understand that Cisco and programming are totally different beasts. What I am hoping to do is get into the field of network management. I know that having a background in programming is also useful to add to employability. C++ is something I will get to. I just don't understand the logic atm. I know, that you can call functions from outside the main part of the program, but I guess I am still stuck in the stone age when it comes to programming and to my Neanderthal mind using (and yes, i know that I am getting even the basic applebasic wrong, but that was over 20 years ago):

10 state "input #"
20 if #>20 goto 40
30 if #<19 goto 50
etc...

Guess I like the basic progressions of the numbers and being able to be pointed to a # when something is going wrong. Debugging when told a line # messes with my ADHD :) But I am stubborn enough to keep plugging away at it.

TT

I really do thank those that have commented. Your input will help me get to where I want to go. Will I ever probably be able to create macs and plugins like the people here? Probably not, but I do want to at least try.

tyvm again,

TT

I really do thank those that have commented. Your input will help me get to where I want to go. Will I ever probably be able to create macs and plugins like the people here? Probably not, but I do want to at least try.

tyvm again,

TT
TT,
The best way to learn it is to apply it. Don't set out trying to write a macro that will automate your shaman (there are already great ones of those). Instead, start with a macro that will simply smash a skill each time it's ready, so for a monk, make a Mend or FD training macro.

As you need to do something more complex, ask for assistance with what you want to do, and then if someone tosses out the code and you don't understand it, ask.

C++ Isn't really too bad, and if you understand basic structures (you do), it will come to you in time. Really, the hardest part about it, imo, is remembering the syntax of all the stuff.

Also, get the free tools! They're not bad, mostly complete, and FREE!

BC

Downloaded both the Visual Basic and Visual C++. I'm hoping that I will have some time to be able to play with them in the near future. Atm, I'm working an 80 hour work week and have a kid about to have surgery. Have a feeling that I will be more able to tinker with macro's then I will be able to actually play EQ (/mourn). Going to be playing with VB also since that is the language that the master's program that I am looking at requires.

TT

(might be able to see sigs soon)

If you want to write plugins, go and learn C++. And don't learn it by writing plugins. Do your own stuff, start a project, learn how to work through problems and work with data.

Coding style is important to learn and develop on your own, and I would not recommend learning the coding style that MQ2 plugins and source use because to be honest, some of them are just a terrible example of what a plugin should look like.

Those are my thoughts. If you're looking for something useful besides just MQ2, consider picking up C# and the .NET framework. Also explore the possibilities that lax provides with innerspace and .net interoperability.

If you want to write plugins, go and learn C++. And don't learn it by writing plugins. Do your own stuff, start a project, learn how to work through problems and work with data.

Coding style is important to learn and develop on your own, and I would not recommend learning the coding style that MQ2 plugins and source use because to be honest, some of them are just a terrible example of what a plugin should look like.

Those are my thoughts. If you're looking for something useful besides just MQ2, consider picking up C# and the .NET framework. Also explore the possibilities that lax provides with innerspace and .net interoperability.

I was thinking I would probably best be served by what you said here. Learning C++ would be the goal, and the macro's and plugins I would be able to write with it would be the frosting on the cake. Long term, I want to be able to be employable with the skills I learn. I have a feeling that I would not be one of those who could make a living writing macros ;)

TT