The Evolution of Math in the United States

Frequency

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last week I purchased a burger and fries at McDonalds for $3.58.

The counter girl took my $4.00 and I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies. While looking at the screen on her register, I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.
While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1960s...

Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1990

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20 Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 2000

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2006

Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera para $100. El cuesto de la produccion era $80. Cuantos tortillas se puede comprar?

Translation of the last line:
"A rancher sells a truckload of lumber for $100. The cost of production was $80. How many tortillas can he buy?"

I've seen this before, sans the 2006 line. And it rings so true :(

It's amazing how something so simple can so accurately reflect the misguided path our country is taking.

LOL

DUDE thats funny shit but at the same time SAD and TRUE .

Meaning, they've dumbed down our educational system, and made it more about social structure and how the students "feel" as opposed to what they're actually learning, or indeed, *if* they're actually learning. All kinds of stupid systems, e.g., "no student left behind", etc.

htw

=)

I was only playing ....

I agree with the post totally, it is very sad and I'm trying my best to "supplement" my daughters math education at home.

It isn't just math though. It is the education system as a whole but with math it is just easier to show the differences.

So sad

I have that problem all the time. I always try to get rid of the change I have, and anytime you give someone dollars and change they seem to blow a gasket. It's bad enough that most all cash registers spit out the math for you if you enter the correct amount given to them, but damn. The rampant acceptance of debit cards everywhere isn't helping. I bought something for $5.25 and gave the womana $1 and a $10 bill ,and no shit she shaked me 'Umm.. sir, the $10 was enough to cover it.' I told her I knew that and merely wanted a $5 bill back instead of 4 ones with my change. She wouldnt do it, said that that makes no sense, gave me the $4.75 that the register told her to give me and my $1 bill. I set them out on the counter and counted them off to her. '1, 2, 3, 4, 5... there you just gave me $5 why couldnt you have just kept them and given me a $5 bill?'
'But that one there sir ( she tapped the $1 I had given her) was already yours.'

/boggle

Dumbfounded I took my money, shared a stunned look with the older gentleman behind me who looked just as upset at what just happened as I did and got in my car. I haven't been to a 7-11 since

--Vyral

Math

I have kids, and when I taught them how to do things like the earlier math posts, they would go back to school, and have the teach tell them, "Your dad taught you the old fashioned way" but I am in my 30s /boggle

"Old Fashion" is codephrase for "Not From This 2-year period".

When you have 3 kids go to school, and all 3 are taught a different method of math at the same grade level you realize they are throwing new methods out hand over fist.

If the kid can do the math, it doesn't matter what method they use to do it. Especially when they can do it in their head, I'm not an advocate of forcing them to show me how.

Little side note here - A few years back I was working construction and hadn't done a lick of written math since high school. I was writing on a 2x4 to show somebody a measurement I had done in my head , and tried to subtract something like

Was the answer I got. Immediately I knew it was wrong, and had a good laugh at myself. But it goes to show you there is no 'right' way of doing it. Just the one that works for you.

:eek: :p :D

I like math but ya.... too many ways to do stuff they are not the same long enough in teaching to be a benefit and the variance between say High School of just gimmie the damn answer and College of I don't want the answer I want to know how you got it are so different that it causes more issues then it is worth to show a new way of getting some answer most don't typically care about anyway.

I have to agree with you fully, the US is full of dumbasses.

Australia on the other hand, well all the smart ones live there :D

Hey hey, don't drag me into this. That was Yoda saying those things not me. I'm no teacher so who am I to judge kids these days. All I know is it seems like each generation says the same things about kids not learning the good way like they did back in the day. It really makes me feel old.

Fry.

HAHA you know what I knew it was Yoda but I was still staring at his avatar laughing so like your name appeared.

But ya each day I feel older when I read this stuff and go know it was true then and it is true now. To think I thought I could help make a difference yet I now contribute to the problem. :(

I just now decided to finally read this thread. I got a good chuckle... followed by depression. I fear for my kids. :(

fry dont need to know math paypale adds and subtracts it for him :)