SOE Conspiracy Theory

Copperhead

Reaction score
All of these "bans" lately, that are not really bans at all, but some sort of fuck up on SOEs part with their log ins, has me putting on my conspiracy hat.

What if this is some kind of false flag operation? What I mean is, take someone who doesnt know a lot about these things that uses MQ, and they see that "ban" message, which is really a SOE fuck up, when logging in. This could persuade some ill-informed people to stop using MQ. In other words, fear mongering by SOE planting seeds into ill-informed minds.

So perhaps some form of passive aggressive MQ crackdown is going on here? /shrug

I know its a stretch, however, I have never seen as many log in issues in my entire life with this game. Its been horrible. One would think that these issues would have been fixed by now, and that it would be a rather trivial fix at that.

Last edited:
It's a stretch.

Plus who cares? We really don't want "ill-informed people" using MQ. It's like giving loaded firearms to toddlers.

Seriously. In the early days of game hacking that's why even the early map hacks required you to network a Linux box to use it to crack and read the packets. The theory was that dummies wouldn't be capable of doing that so they wouldn't ruin the hack for everyone by doing stupid things like we see all too much in recent times: AFK-XPing in open zones, chain-warping through GM-monitored crowded zones, hailing quest NPCs to get 500 rewards, etc.

Hell, maybe they should go back to requiring the ability to read and write machine-code to use MQ!

/ducks

I have no theory, no proof and I am pretty much the best example of an incompetent idiot who enjoys the use of MQ2...say whatever you want about me, I really don't care! (that wasn't directed about anyone, just being honest)

That all being said, yesterday when I tried loading up with MMOLoader I had a hell of a time logging in and when I finally did get in my accounts were all free status and level 50! I was like wtf? I went to SOE's site, saw in the news they were having issues. Then I came here, didn't really see much about it! I rebooted my PC, loaded my accounts with Launchpad and all 6 accounts loaded up flawlessly and were their correct levels! Interestingly enough though, all those failed attempts to log in previously showed when I logged in, ie there have been 8 failed attempts since your last login! :shrug: w/e

Well, i logged them all out again, rebooted computer and loaded MMOLoader and everything was good in the world again! When I was done playing for the night I left my toons at the character select screen hoping not to have to go through it again this morning! FAIL!!! Tried loading them up and they all crashed! First attempt with MMOLoader rebooted and they were back to level 50 again...rinsed and repeated yesterday's cycle and what do you know...it worked!

I have no clue as to what is going on or why nor do I desire to speculate as it would just be me opening my mouth and removing all doubt! What I do know is the above worked for me x2 so far! If others are having similar issues maybe using that as a workaround for now?

At the end of the day, as a response now to the OP...If the day were to come where MQ2 couldn't be used anymore...they may as well ban my accounts as I won't be playing anyhow! What is the fun of soloing or going back to the caveman days of actually playing 6 accounts?

Looks to be all fixed now.

Hate to say it, but when Sony has a major meltdown going like this, the best approach is simply to log off, walk away for a few hours (or overnight) and let other people be the test dummies to go through all the glitches and grief. Come back the next day and often you've missed all the problems.

Tip: anyone who actually logged in at level 50/silver would have lost two slots in their toon inventory. This means any bags in those slots got "taken away" and can be recovered from the parcels NPC.

I didnt mean ill-informed as in folks that dont understand MQ. What I meant is, the folks that dont quite understand the ban/suspension aspects/risks of MQ and cheating and just "heard" about them, but not any full extents of it.

It would be like someone getting into the cocaine selling business and not fully understanding the repercussions of getting caught, however, they know that something bad could happen. So in this example, they talk to a cop who doesnt know that the guy sells coke, and the cop tells him exactly what would happen if someone did get caught. The guy starts to get cold feet selling it at that point.

Same thing here.....but meh. yeah, its a stretch. But its something to think about.

Some folks get so upset just seeing that "ban" word appear on their account, SOEs fault or not....that it might just scare some folks away from MQ (or whatever cheating that they were doing prior) - It would honestly depend on the person in question though.

Last edited:
Or like the guy who bought some "coke" from someone and got a bag of malt powder or talcum powder or something else that wasn't illegal instead. The guy called the police and complained about being ripped off. They came down, took his story, expressed sympathy for his plight and then arrested him for attempting to buy illegal drugs.

But... such people DESERVE to be off the street...

What happened is I tried to steal any and all WOW accounts, but had too many double shots of Jose Cuervo before the attempt. See, it was a php hack, and I piss on teh php!

Since the redguides (or wtf-ever they lately call themselves) do the dumbass novice shit, I will let you guess (as far as who) . Ok, inside joke, who knows, maybe Fry or Kodilynn (hint-hint) will post the old admin thread verbatim...

GD it, now I can't recall wtf I am responding to, damn Jose!

htw

here is my paranoia theory

ban wave was (is) coming and they just didnt execute it very well

what ever retard they hired to auto detect who to ban has no fucking clue and

after they assumed they were ready well hope they didnt cash that check just

yet.

You guys realize the account priv issues from last night effected all SOE accounts/games right? Wasn't just an EQ thing.

The way I understand it is they were working on account privs for Dragons Prophet (which just went open beta the other day), and something went wrong.

The simplest explanations tend to be closer to the truth. Which seems more likely:

#1. Someone at SoE misconfigure the account database so that everyone across all the on line games would get errors and spread fear and anger.

#2. Someone at SoE misconfigured something with the login server and it was no longer able to get the right account information when you tried to log in.

Last edited:
The simplest explanations tend to be closer to the truth. Which seems more likely:

#1. Someone at SoE misconfigure the account database so that everyone across all the on line games would get errors and spread fear and anger.

#2. Someone at SoE misconfigured something with the login server and it was no longer able to get the right account information when you tried to log in.

Sanity and rational explanations have no place in a conspiracy thread. In other words...

RGC002-willis.jpg

On the other hand they do make for an entertaining thread to read on a Saturday morning.

Whenever weird crap like this happens, I just apply Heinlein's Razor and move on. Life has become much less complicated since I made the switch.