QUEST FOR SPEED ... EQ ON RAMDISC

EQDAB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use or know if Everquest & MQ2 (MMOBugs) can be played from/on a RAMDISC ? If ya have a lot of ram, a decently fast system and connection. It seems like an easy answer to game performance. But I Dunno, SOoo I'm asking the experts. :confused:

Like others I'm trying to return after, Hell it's @ 6 years now. I suffered a severe stroke, followed by spinal cord surgery. Lost my computer during that time too. HDD Raid 0, Win XP Pro crash, non bootable registry. Fussed with it awhile. 'Note to self: Never put OS on a raid". Finally, this past Christmas talked myself into building a new current system instead. I'm on a fast FIOS optic connection already.

My old/dead XP System built @ 18 Years ago:

Mother Board: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Processor: Intel P4 HT 3.00GHz (oc: @ 3.3GHz)
Memory: Corsair 2GB PC3200
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB
Hard Drive: (2) Seagate Barracuda 60GB (Raid0)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 300GB ATA (Storage)
Drive: Plextor PX-716A DVD+-R
Drive: Mitsumi CD-ROM
Drive: 3.5 Floppy: Sony
Sound Card: SB Audigy2 ZS
Power Supply: Antec NeoHE550
Cooler Master Case (cant remember model)
Speakers: Logitech THX Z-5300E
Win XP Pro SP 3
Acer 17" flat screen basic 1024x768

New Win 10 System: (to be built next week)

Intel Skylake Core i5 6600K unlocked retail box CPU: "Delid'ed Silicon Lottery 4.8GHz BIN CPU"
LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Edition LGA1151 ATX Motherboard
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State SATA Drive (OS & basic everyday programs/utils)
Seagate Desktop SSHD ST4000DX001 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Solid State Hybrid Drive (pagefile, temp crap, & all other software & games)
Asus DRW-24B1ST/AS DVD/CD SATA Writer
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card (x2 in SLI) # 04G-P4-3967-KR
Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Logitech G430 7.1 Channel Headset
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
BenQ XL2430T 100/120/144Hz, 1ms GTG, Hybrid Engine, 24.0" Gaming Monitor

I'm expecting, ok hoping to oc this to @ 5GH

Last edited:
Htw does I believe and has mentioned its super duper fast compared to an ssd. I'm sure when he see's this thread, he'll reply back with some info.

Wish I knew more about the subject, I'd like to set this up once I finally get around to upgrading to Win10, even though that has nothing to do with the subject, just when I do a clean install to get the free upgrade to win10, would like to set this up.

Reactions: EQDAB
I've done it before, the load times are definitely faster, probably the fastest you can achieve currently. But, the EQ game and it's engine are still old so don't expect instant loads, it still has it's coded inefficiencies that take time regardless to how fast it can load the resources.

That said, to comment on your build. I'm assuming the CPU is a 6600k, the only 6500k on intels website is an E6500k with a 2.9ghz base clock. As for the 6600k, I would express serious doubt in getting that CPU to 5ghz for any meaningful amount of time or usage. That is a 3.5ghz base clock CPU. 4 - 4.3 should be relatively easy. 4.4 to 4.5 is doable if it's a good chip. Past 4.5 you are going to have to start pushing the vcore voltage into dangerous levels to maintain stability. At 5ghz if you can even achieve it to maintain stability your vcore would need to be so high to risk burning the chip out and is going to make it nearly impossible to cool without something more significant than the sealed liquid cooler you are looking at. 6700k would have better chance of hitting 5ghz since it has a base clock of 4ghz. But even then I think it'd be pushing it.

I also doubt you could even notice the performance differences between 5ghz and 4ghz in most programs. Unless you are crunching a huge amount of calculations of a period of time, for the standard user playing games and such like that, the few ms faster the 5ghz vs 4ghz will process, is not going to be noticeable.

No way that processor is going to hit those speeds as Dev said, also there isn't much benefit in getting the 6000 series of cpu's, look at the benchmarks compared to the previous 2 generations. You might get a "mild" increase in less power usage, but numerous sites have posted the IPC is not much of an improvement. I still run a 2700k myself and the IPC difference isn't anything to upgrade over yet.

But always choose Intel imo, because AMD sucks at IPC, which matters quite abit. The 8 core nonsense that AMD claims doesn't do much either, just marketing nonsense. A quadcore Intel will blow away AMD 8 core garbage anyday.

That being said, I don't ill-wish AMD, they just suck at the moment. The market needs AMD or the prices on Intel processors will become beyond ridiculous.

I run eq in a ramdisk. I've got 32gb and allocate 11gb to the ramdisk. Keep in mind that all data is lost when you reboot, so thing like settings will be lost. However, you can use something like inner space to redirect your setting files to something a little more permanent.

Load times are definitely faster than a ssd, but not by great amounts. There seems to be a lot of time spent on waiting for the server when loading into the game. It might help with multi boxing scenarios but I haven't tried.

I use a ramdisk because I do plugin development and need to restart EQ A LOT, so that's my use case.

I'm not at home so I don't know off hand which software I use but I found it pretty easily by googling around. Will post later When I get home if I remember.

edit: ImDisk Virtual Disk is what I'm using

Last edited:
check how randisk works on the test server i was seeing some posts about changes they made to the server that people are zoning faster but it could be just people thinking that

I've done it before, the load times are definitely faster, probably the fastest you can achieve currently. But, the EQ game and it's engine are still old so don't expect instant loads, it still has it's coded inefficiencies that take time regardless to how fast it can load the resources.

That said, to comment on your build. I'm assuming the CPU is a 6600k, the only 6500k on intels website is an E6500k with a 2.9ghz base clock. As for the 6600k, I would express serious doubt in getting that CPU to 5ghz for any meaningful amount of time or usage. That is a 3.5ghz base clock CPU. 4 - 4.3 should be relatively easy. 4.4 to 4.5 is doable if it's a good chip. Past 4.5 you are going to have to start pushing the vcore voltage into dangerous levels to maintain stability. At 5ghz if you can even achieve it to maintain stability your vcore would need to be so high to risk burning the chip out and is going to make it nearly impossible to cool without something more significant than the sealed liquid cooler you are looking at. 6700k would have better chance of hitting 5ghz since it has a base clock of 4ghz. But even then I think it'd be pushing it.

I also doubt you could even notice the performance differences between 5ghz and 4ghz in most programs. Unless you are crunching a huge amount of calculations of a period of time, for the standard user playing games and such like that, the few ms faster the 5ghz vs 4ghz will process, is not going to be noticeable.

Hey Dev, long time bro, your 100% right, I blew it, it is 6600k (I corrected it) oh the chip has already gone 4.8. That's the beauty of buying from Silicon Lottery they test each chip, so then can charge more for faster ones (fair-nuf) . But you get an idea of the silicon quality you'll be working with. They even include details of what they had to do to get it clock (nice info). And general opinions of the Skylake i5 & 7 seems to be that the 5's are clocking a bit better, especially for gaming. K, maybe not 5, but I'll get very close, and will post some screenshots when it does. Like you said maybe not noticeable ms increase alone, as why I was thinking adding the ram disc too. Anyway thanks for your reply. And for keeping this old man straight.

Thankyou Dev, your analysis is on the money. As it turns out the parts are still covering the dining room table. Unable to walk seriously slows life down. So much time past and tech marches on, it's time to upgrade again :cry::unsure:. If only ...SS/disability, Ie; very fixed budget isn't gonna make anything like that possible in the remainder of this lifetime.