Gaming Rig that I am purchasing on Cyber Monday

twizzops

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Most if not all items will be purchased from Newegg.com, unless they aren't available like the 6870 or much cheaper at amazon, buy.com, or tigerdirect. Please feel free to comment or offer recommendations, especially on the motherboard and memory.

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case (purchasing this because this will last me for many years through many upgrades)

Power Supply - CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (already purchased it for $119.00)

Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (I don't plan on overclocking. I have no experience with it and don't want to risk shorten the life of any of my parts. I wish it supported memory at 1600 without OCing.)

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor (again not planning on OCing so went with the non black version)

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler (chose this based on reviews mostly)

CPU Compound - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL ($90 for 8 GB of memory plus it runs at the native speed that my motherboard supports. G-Skill also has lifetime support on memory which I like.)

Memory Fan - G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans (probably don't need it, but it's just incase and I think it will look nice in the case. $15 isn't much and since G-skill makes it I feel good thinking it will fit and work well with the RAM I chose.)

Boot Drive - Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (Liked the price and size plus comes with 2 free games that I think I might enjoy playing.)

Storage HDDs - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (price and ratings)

Video Card - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (I like XFX because of the warrenty. I will likely have to purchase this somewhere else as newegg is sold out. I like the power usage compared to the 5870 and I do plan on getting a second one later for Crossfire.)

Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card (appears to be sold out... Oh well I normally always use onboard audio anyways. I may just pickup whatever good card shows up on Cyber Monday.)

DVD/CD burner - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM (already ordered for $17.00)

BRay Burner - LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM (Just picked the one with the best reviews)

Mouse - Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse (Seemed like a good mouse and only $35.00)

Keyboard - No idea atm this time. I might stick with what I have.

Personally I'd go 4x2gb on the ram that way if a dimm goes bad you're only out 2gb ram and I seem to remember it being cheaper that way too

For those lazy what is the total on the computer?

Hopefully not too off-topic, but I'm always amazed at some discount so-called "gaming rigs" advertised and they come with 300w power supplies. Those running around $600-800, even from companies that supposedly specialize in gaming rigs. I noticed because of all the damn Cyber Monday spam email ads I'm getting right now from Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc.

I mean how much more does it cost them to put in a proper P/S??

Pre-built gaming rigs for 800 would likely have a no name mainboard that you can't add additional RAM or video cards. That same would go for the case and power supply. Basically what you get now you would have till you buy another one.

If you went to ibuypower or another custom building website and build one with comparable specs it would likely be around 2200 to 2500. I personally haven't done it lately, but that's usually the mark up.

If I get some time today I may do just that to see the price difference.

Like that graphics card, didn't know they started coming out with a 2.1 x 16 slots. Guess I'm still in the old age with my 2.0 x 16 lol.

Well it's all ordered. I didn't get the audio card as it's no longer on sale. Figured I will just go with onboard audio for a while. Also I got different RAM as it was out of stock.

I will post some pictures when I get it put together this weekend.

Here's the RAM I went with. It's all around faster, but was almost double.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231401

If anyone has any speaker recommendations I would love to hear them. I usually use my headphones so I don't bother my wife or child (when I actually get a chance to play), but I would love some nice speakers at or around $100.

Yah I was pretty pissed that the black Friday sales were better than the cyber Monday sales.

Something in my head was telling me to wait because things would only be better priced on Monday. Missed out on the good RAM deal and audio cards, but for the most part everything else worked out.

I wish i could think of something i would need a super fast computer for so i wouldn't hesitate every time i go to build one.

About once a week I go to newegg and build a computer that is a bit weaker than your build and then talk myself out of it.

One of these days damnit!

Hopefully not too off-topic, but I'm always amazed at some discount so-called "gaming rigs" advertised and they come with 300w power supplies. Those running around $600-800, even from companies that supposedly specialize in gaming rigs. I noticed because of all the damn Cyber Monday spam email ads I'm getting right now from Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc.

I mean how much more does it cost them to put in a proper P/S??

Just went to Ibuypower.com and made the computer that I just ordered, with a different case, because they didn't have the one I want. It actually was within maybe $150. That's very a competitive price for not having to put it all together.

If you don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing I recommend going that direction. Personally I am happy with what I got from newegg.com even if I did spend hour researching parts and likely a few hours putting it all together.

I wish i could think of something i would need a super fast computer for so i wouldn't hesitate every time i go to build one.

About once a week I go to newegg and build a computer that is a bit weaker than your build and then talk myself out of it.

One of these days damnit!

The 2 PCs that I play EQ on I built back in 2005. I am ready to get rid of both and just have the one PC sitting on my desk.

Later on I plan on getting an additional 2x4GB of RAM and another 6870 (maybe next year if games need/require it).

I don't play EQ much anymore, but I love playing SC2 and looking forward to Diablo III.

I still can't believe how cheap ibuypower.com was. I would go that path way before buying a prebuilt from newegg or tigerdirect.

Those are different, the one i posted was DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) vs the $89.99 one DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

i wish =[

I'm debating on building myself another gaming rig, these items you posted look to be about what i want, but I'm for sure it will cost me 3000 before i get the money saved up to get it started, but nice to have the links to bookmark, looks like its pretty solid equipment from reviews i read

If you buy stuff on Newegg always check for combo deals. Half my stuff I got either free stuff like games or cables, or a good 20 - 30 dollars off something like a CPU cooler, HDD, motherboard/CPU, etc.

Just a quick update on how things are going. I finally got my memory in from Newegg.com this past Saturday. I had to work most of it, so didn't start putting everything together till Sunday.

Problems - Motherboard will not get past the POST when I have 2 or 4 sticks of RAM in at a time. It works fine with just 1 stick with everything set to auto/defaults in the BOIS.

The RAM I am using is: F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL x2 (16GB total)

I manually set MB to this from reading information on the GSkill website:

DRAM timing to 9-9-9-24
DRAM Command Rate 2T
CPU/NB Offset Voltage (added [0.050000])
DRAM Voltage set to 1.5V

Sometimes the RAM pasts the POST and boots up. Other times it doesn't get past the POST. This is with only 2 DIMMs. With all 4 DIMMs I can never get past the POST. I can't tell you how frustrated I was last night fooling around with memory settings, just to get past the POST.

I have active posts on both GSkill and Asus, so hopefully I will get a resolution soon.

Another problem is the HDDs that I ordered for storage, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS (x2), I can see in the BOIS, but not in windows. It appears to be a firmware issue on Seagate's side : http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=213891&NewLang=en

When I get home from work I will see if the firmware fixing this. I would have been up shit creek without my intel SSD set as my boot disk to fix this problem.

Over all, I think next time I am paying extra and having someone else, likely digitalstormonline.com, to build my PC. The PCs that I built 5 years ago were a hell of alot easier to build than now. Tell me if that makes since. Stuff should be more plug-n-play.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have had.

I have to say though ive never had any of those kind of problems, any computers I have built have been plug in and turn on, and worked fine!