Patch Notification Pop-up

noc

Reaction score
Is anyone else finding that little 2inch window a massive pain? 80% of the time when i click on it it greys out (like system is waiting) and i cant make it go away unless i close out of eq.

Is anyone else finding that little 2inch window a massive pain? 80% of the time when i click on it it greys out (like system is waiting) and i cant make it go away unless i close out of eq.
The stickied "MMOLoader FAQ" in the EverQuest General forum, has what you need to know - i.e., how to disable your "massive pain" window msgs. Do you play full screen? That's the only way I could see them being an issue. If you play windowed mode, and that happens, I honestly have no idea - I test on pretty much every 32/64 bit OS, from XP thru 7, and even linux - and have never seen that happen. But then, I don't play ever in full screen, which is why I asked about that...

htw

It happens to me occasionally, never play in full screen either. Windows 7 64 bit. I don't know what causes it, I just end task mmoloader and reload it =/

I never bothered trying to figure out what causes it. Sometimes I can't right click the mmoloader icon in my task tray, it just ignores the click. Sometimes, when I want to shut it down the first time I click shut down it doesn't do anything, then if I right click it again it suddenly starts shutting down

*shrug*

It happens to me occasionally, never play in full screen either. Windows 7 64 bit. I don't know what causes it, I just end task mmoloader and reload it =/

I never bothered trying to figure out what causes it. Sometimes I can't right click the mmoloader icon in my task tray, it just ignores the click. Sometimes, when I want to shut it down the first time I click shut down it doesn't do anything, then if I right click it again it suddenly starts shutting down

*shrug*
That's usually due to one of the server asynchronous checks. Which means connection issue (lenghtly, and only at certain times) with mmobugs.com - or it was simply blocked somehow. It's on my list to get those changed over to asynchronous & proper timeouts, so you never see that.

If it happens enough to be annoying, try using the following and see if that keeps it from happening for you (MMOLoader tray icon, Options, MMOLoader Options):

Enable Server Messages - Unchecked
Enable Login Check Popups - Unchecked
Disable Try Popups
- Checked

htw

I dont play windowed either. Thx tho will check that FAQ.

Have the same thing on a Windows 7 64bit.

I usually find if I either double click or right click (at work atm and cant remember which) it will go away. But otherwise it will just say up.

I have this issue as well. I've disabled them on my main machine and all is fine, but I leave them on on my second machine so I can see updates / news / etc. Occasionaly (often) the popup will just stick there. It wont grey out, but it won't go away. Then when another tries to come up, it'll display directly above the old one, and the old one will go away. I can watch it climb to the top of my screen over a few hours time of this lol. Clicking on it locks it up, right clicking the MMOLoader icon does nothing at all, double clicking sometimes brings up a grey box that says MMOLoader, but the box is locked and cant do anything, so now I'm stuck with that in the center of the screen also lol. Win 7 64 bit, always play in windowed.

Im on win xp 32bit, and i have this happen all the time.

SOMETIMES the window is unclickable and leaves a 'dead space' on my screen that i cant get rid of no matter what window i have up, its just there and doesnt go away.

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium on one box, 32bit Home Premium on the other

Always play in WIndowed mode

Have the same issues as above. Usually toward the end of a night, after several hrs loaded/in game

Never realized it could be disabled. I usually just curse at the damn thing and end up having to unload and reload (if I can) before it freezes totally Otherwise I have to exit EQ/MMOLoader totally, or reboot.

I see this too. I play on several OS and it's worst on 32-bit Vista. The ghost image will stay on screen even after I log out of EQ. In fact, I have to reboot to make it go away.

Not like it's the end of the world, though...

I get the exact same thing that Dev does. Pretty much always have to do another right click to turn it off after the first one, and the ghost image is fairly common for me too. usually a reboot takes care of it.

My 2cp

From my perspective it would almost be better to make the default OFF for the pop up notification. Most of us know when there is a new compile available because our old one stops working or we run the update each time we log in (or because we are no life board trolls). I think the pop up is annoying as hell most of the time and perhaps a bit redundant. I appreciate that htw is trying to make things easier for us but if I had to count the number of times that pop up has frozen my system vs the number of times it has let me know about a new compile that I had not already downloaded, the former wins 10 to 1 over the latter.

It's not the only purpose, although yeah, we do.

Honestly, is it too hard to just turn it off if you don't want it on?

For the "MSN"-like popup msg, though, I am in process of changing to a non-blocking lookup & standard windows style (if you have the option on). Again, just turn it off, if you come here commonly & don't feel you want it on.

htw

It's not the only purpose, although yeah, we do.

Honestly, is it too hard to just turn it off if you don't want it on?

For the "MSN"-like popup msg, though, I am in process of changing to a non-blocking lookup & standard windows style (if you have the option on). Again, just turn it off, if you come here commonly & don't feel you want it on.

htw

No turning it off is not a big deal at all as long as it does not reset to the default of "on" every time you patch.

No turning it off is not a big deal at all as long as it does not reset to the default of "on" every time you patch.
No, it doesn't. Even I would find that annoying.

Are you arguing now for the sake of arguing?

htw

Just lazy

No, it doesn't. Even I would find that annoying.

Are you arguing now for the sake of arguing?

htw

No, just illustrating my laziness in a public forum. I have sold a car before because it needed an oil change so changing options and checking a box on all my PCs is almost enough to make me quit.

An oil change sounds much less painful than filling out paperwork for buying or selling a car. It's like EQ has a new patch out, so instead of patching it, you decided to play WoW instead.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all about being lazy, but from a lazy perspective, i don't see how you came out a head there!

Fuggin Germand

An oil change sounds much less painful than filling out paperwork for buying or selling a car. It's like EQ has a new patch out, so instead of patching it, you decided to play WoW instead.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all about being lazy, but from a lazy perspective, i don't see how you came out a head there!

Oil change on the bluetech diesel Mercedes is $500 and a half day without the car. New car is a couple of signatures. I definitely lost but I got to drive to the In and Out instead of walking.

I do that...lol