Net speeds

jjmanfdl

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a question about net speeds and if they really make a difference above 6 megs.

Since I've been playing eq the only thing I've been able to get for internet was dsl (currently a 6 meg connection). Now i'm going to be moving within this next month and I have the option to go fiber optics at 15 megs for $56 a month or 7 megs for $46 a month. Now the only thing I need the speed for is playing eq; usually running 5 accounts on 2 pc's. I was curious if there was a benefit of going with the higher speed or doesn't it matter. Any imput would be appreciated as I need to order it soon.

Thanks

As long as its a high-speed connection you really don't need much bandwidth for EQ. So the smaller cheaper package would work the same as the faster package. If you are d/l'ing large files, or have multiple computers downloading files and sharing files then you would want to look at the bigger pipe.

Imo for the extra ten a month i woudl go with double the connection speed just in case int he future you decide to torrent things. i noticed abit of a diffrence going from a 4 or 5 meg to a 15 meg but not that much it was just cheap anuff i decided to do it anyway.

on avg you're using less than 5 kb/s per account, the basic dsl package would be enough for multiple accounts and any fios package would be more than enough.

you can run 40 without much of an issue on a 7/1.5 connection. I would toss in the extra 10 and bump it to the 15 anyways.

yup everybody loves a fat pipe :) and for 10.00 a month its well worth it if you might even want to torrent things in the future.

Bandwidth

You might not benefit from the higher speed, but fiber optics have significantly lower latency. Some games you won't notice much for a difference but other games (first person shooters come to mind) you should notice a positive difference.

Is that lower latency worth th extra cost? That's up to you! :)

You might not benefit from the higher speed, but fiber optics have significantly lower latency. Some games you won't notice much for a difference but other games (first person shooters come to mind) you should notice a positive difference.

Is that lower latency worth th extra cost? That's up to you! :)

You might lower your latency 20-30 with fios but as long as you are sub 200ms you will not really notice the difference in EQ as FunWithUs said.

For an example of bandwidth before my connection went to shit(sometime last week)

In 4 days I pushed 11g down 8 gigs up just from EQ with an 8m/512k connection. My ping was typically 80-130 and never noticed a difference in zoning when I had 2 accounts logged in vs 40. even if they all zoned at once(at least until just recently they apparently are doing shit on the lines.)