Most you ever spent on an in-game item

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
With the new "rares" introduced with EoK being offered for multiple $100s each (and I offer no comment, critical or otherwise on this, just stating facts) I'm wondering what's the most you ever paid for an in-game piece of armor or weapon or whatever. You or "someone you know" if you don't want to admit to spending big money for a virtual good which eventually becomes not even worth storing in the bank as expansions make older gear obsolete.

I will spend up to 4mil plat for a decent piece of upgrade gear, but that's on FV, which suffers from plat inflation and basically anything can be traded. With 6 toons to gear up, and not being a raider, that means my expenditures can add up. But I tend to focus primarily on my tank, and then I might invest in Rank III spells and focus-specific upgrades for my casters. 4milpp on FV is about $30 or less, depending on the current market value of kronos.

Back when Gates of Discord was current I remember paying $10 apiece for the 90-HP augments that could be pharmed from "raid" nameds in Qvic. There was a guy who was probably using MQ2 who could pharm these items on his own and would sell looting rights for $10 apiece. Of course there were multiple 90HP augments and I had multiple toons to gear so the $ added up.

I heard a rumor of someone spending $1000 not that long ago on that artifact ranger bow whose name escapes me right now but I could never confirm it reliably. Back in the day manastones would supposedly sell for as much as $500. In my own experience on P99 I know someone who committed to "paying" about 40 hours of PLing services for a manastone so what's that much labor worth? (Lucky for him he got the manastone up front because the PLee, after a couple of 4-hour PL sessions, never showed up in game again lol.)

What crazy prices have you heard paid, and for what, and how reliably? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Last edited:
The most I've paid for was 6 krono for dragon illusion back when they were selling I could sell krono for $12/ea. At the time I was farming a lot and krono in game were still pretty cheap.

I'm not sure if it counts, but I was paid $750 to create, PL, and gear up a very specific type of character for someone.

I try to not spend PP on much in EQ, however the most I've ever spent is in the MMO FFXIV. For a while I was one of the top 5 crafters on my server, and I would constantly make, buy, or sell gear worth 30-40 million gil each (in game currency for FFXIV) when gil would sell for about $12 per mil on PA.

I've spent an obscene amount of money, both in legit ways and non-legit ways, for in-game items. My bard's Mask of Tinkering was purchased for like 6mil plat when that was a lot of money, and then it just goes up from there. I purchased some items from whoever was using a hex editor to sell Old Man McKenzie gear, which sucked because when Sony stopped him they took all my gear... even the stuff I had gotten legitimately. Then there was the ranger I bought in game (still have him) for $250.00 .... umm ... bought a SK for like $350.00 (still have him) ... and I think that is just the tip of the iceberg!

Think they most money I ever spent on was no delay (and no not the one from that codecompiler dude lol).

Think they most money I ever spent on was no delay (and no not the one from that codecompiler dude lol).

Remember when Dev (iirc) gave it out to everyone for free? God damn, I never have more fun in EQ than when I was messing with that shit.

Back in early-mid luclin, I remember my Dad dropping about $400 on plat and a Blade of Carnage. This was when plat was going for $100/100k or so on our server (maybe less).

Most I, personally, have ever spent was $475 to get my account back after a relative tried using a fake credit card to load up on LoN cards.. Damn chargeback bans!

I do remember back in the day (maybe Velious, possibly Luclin) with high-end characters being sold off for $1000+. One friend had someone buy his enchanter for like $950 iirc.

I have soo much invested it kinda piss's me off when servers go wanky as they are now, I have bought and sold since the year 2000 its not even funny. As i am retired i have all the time in the day to play. But most i've spent was $400 and most i've sold was $900 for a cleric.

someone payed me 500 bucks to do there underfoot progression for them took me like 8 hours and i was unemployed so shit was pretty dank =P

i'll pay $500 right meow for the eok monk raid 2hb.

I'm not playing the expansion at all so not sure if you are serious or not. But if so then why not play on the FV server where we have been buying the latest raid gear for $$ for many years?

$500 would get you more than 1 raid item on FV.

FV comes with a perm 50% xp bonus too.

Interesting tales of the olden days! :)

If we add in characters to the mix I do remember paying $650 for a level 60 cleric, real "uber"-geared (yeah, back then) because I got so sick and tired of losing XP when I died, and having to beg for kindly clerics to rez me. Especially when I died in some wobegotten Godforsaken zone. Most clerics don't travel well and if I wasn't lucky enough to have a guild cleric online it was a bitch to find one willing to make the run, even for good plat. And that was probably over 10 years ago so that's more like $800-900 today. I flinch even thinking about it.

I did re-sell him a few years later but I doubt I got even $250. But when I think how much time and effort re-earning lost XP I saved with that $400 investment, it was probably worth it.

Buying stuff in-game, for me, is always a tradeoff between the value of my personal work and leisure time versus what it would cost me to save that time by buying gear, toons, plat, kronos, whatever in-game. I can earn money IRL at a much better rate than a lot of players are willing to take to pharm phat lewts and level up toons for sale so oftentimes for me it's better to buy than to do it myself. Now if I was retired and had nothing but time, and not much spare cash, that would be a different thing entirely.

items bought

I once bought a froglok bonecaster robe when Kunark just came out. Think i paid 40-50 for it. I was sick of the FBR i had since like level 15 and got jerked around by an in game friend telling me i could quest for the Robe of the Oracle.

I also sent a couple hundred bucks to someone in Sweden via Western Union for some plat back in the day. I never got the plat but proved to be an extremely valuable lesson to me to avoid those types of scams.

Justified the purchases by the time vs. money calc...... I was younger and dumber back then. Should have spent the coin on MQ2.

Last edited: