Loader Updates repeating on Vista 64 Enterprise

Reaction score
My main system is a Vista 64 Enterprise workstation, 3Ghz, 6GB memory, FX3500 gcard.

When I start MMOLoader, it starts, indicates that there are updates, and seems to successfully load the update.

However, When the update is finished loading and the MMOLoader restarts, it continues to indicate that there are updates.

This will repeat until I tell it to cancel looking for updates. Once canceled the MMOLoader logs me in and everything works as expected.

My main system is a Vista 64 Enterprise workstation, 3Ghz, 6GB memory, FX3500 gcard.

When I start MMOLoader, it starts, indicates that there are updates, and seems to successfully load the update.

However, When the update is finished loading and the MMOLoader restarts, it continues to indicate that there are updates.

This will repeat until I tell it to cancel looking for updates. Once canceled the MMOLoader logs me in and everything works as expected.

Did you restart the system after you entered the loop? When you restart, and open the loader up again does it give you an update message?

The usual cause of this, is registry write prevention by the system. Antivirus, antispyware, etc. Windows defender could cause it, and several others. I recall Windows Live OneCare being a definite culprit.

If the updater can't update the registry with the latest update you got, then when it re-launches itself (mmoloader), it checks, and according to the last update in registry, it looks like an update is still needed, so it repeats.

htw

He isnt alone on the issue. I run 64 bit vista myself. Exact same issue since your latest update and it doesnt stop.

No anti virus on this pc, no firewalls ect. Just the traditional bs that microsoft uses.

I'll look, but SOMETHING is stopping it from updating the registry.

My main dev system is vista 64, and I cannot repeat it.

I have, in this room also, vista 32, dual boot xp / xp 64, and server 2k3.

I test 2k & 2k3 64, in vmware.

Under any of them, I cannot duplicate this. The code has not changed in months for *how* it determines if an update is available, or how it applies it.

You might also try to clear your user temp dir, as that is where the files are downloaded/extracted to. It should have mmoloader.exe & updater.exe.

However, it's not going to be the files themselves if you are actually showing yourself running the latest one avail via automatic update (1.8.3.7) - Right click loader icon, About.

In this case, if it is looping, updater.exe cannot properly write to the registry, or thinks it could not actually update (overwrite) mmoloader.exe.

In some manner, if it is not AV/AS, it is a permissions issue.

If I could actually duplicate it, I could help you out more, but I cannot.

htw

I run 5 computers with vista 64 and I have never had an endless loop issue.

Administrator Privs

OK, wow - I did not mean to make a ruckus :eek:

Given what was said, I am fairly sure its some setting or another on my box.

to start, I went in to my MQ directory (C:\Games\MQ) and changed the MMOLoader.exe to have administrative privs. This startup, no request to update.

Well see what happens after the next real update to the loader.

Same issue for me. Vista64. There was a vista64 update a day or two ago though. I was last logged in to EQ Weds night, and the update was after that, so thurs or friday. I think one of the patches was for windows defender, which I have never really messed around with. Is it possible that patch turned on some kind of registry protection thats preventing loader from updating it's status? I've been poking around defender but I dont see anything that looks like a registry chastity belt.

Was a Definition Update for Defender - KB915597

I patched all my computers with it. No new issues.

Got mine working. Apparently my compile was a couple days out of date or something. My loader was dated the 10th or 11th and the latest one the 13th. Been working too hard this weekend to worry about how it happened, but thats what it was. Good luck to the rest of ya.

still cycling

Well, I started my comp up this morning and it still cycles.

If I was to look into the registry, what am I looking for (signature)? If its there, then I need to figure out something else.

Fixed I think

One is the patches to the loader seems to have fixed this issue. Anyway it no longer cycles and reports updates only when there really are updates.
Thanks