For those who appreciate the old EQ music

Blitzkrieg

Time Traveling Troll
Reaction score
Red Telephone Booth, formerly a Cardboard Box
Website
www.mulletjunky.com
If you play on a newer system (XP/Vista/7) you won't get the proper playback of the old world music in EQ.

Simple guide:
Make EQ's music (MIDI) sound Significantly Better. - Project 1999

*Most of the Information I found to complete this was taken from http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=8893&

By changing your systems MIDI soundfont, you can recreate the AWE32 Soundblaster sound which is how the music was meant to be heard in EQ! (the MIDI soundfont that windows comes with by default is pretty terrible)

Preview the sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWj-...&feature=g-upl
(you may not be super impressed but in comparison its a lot better, im too lazy to upload a comparison video, maybe i will at a later date)

------
HOW TO:
1.) Download 1mgm.sf2 to Desktop or any location [download]
2.) install bassmididrv.exe [download]
3.) Run BASSMIDI Driver Configuration
4.) "Add" 1mgm.sf2 to soundfonts and click "Apply"
5.) Go to Advanced tab, under Default MIDI Synth, select BASSMIDI Driver and hit "Apply"
------

You can google "MIDI soundfont Banks" to see if you find any you like better

You might notice a little bit of glitchyness in the video with the sound, i think that's only because my fraps was running.

Enjoy!

Longer thread:
A discussion on restoring EQ's music once and for all - Project 1999

With just some simple steps, one can enjoy the old world music as it played on systems of its day. As a HLF DRU, I can appreciate Rivervale not sounding jacked up.

*Combine the above with http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=4 (extract .rar archive to your EQ folder, overriding the existing files) and you'll be on your way to enjoying classic sounds.

pavarotti.jpg

Sweet. I want to be hearing this music on my deathbed.

The only tunes you left otr were Butcherblock, Kaladim and Crushbone.

:)

There is a website somewhere, at least there used to be, where you could download all these music files. I used them to make ringtones for my Iphone.

Last edited:
Treesong on SoE forum or doacleric on P99 has his hosted.

Index of /

They were conversions done though off the .xmi and may not be 100% accurate due to EQ and its soundfonts. He tried spearheading a project in being able to get a working older client so that you could load the songs in through EQ and record its output while in game. The project died.

How come I can't just use the ones off original CD? Or like, kunark, or velious, etc. you get the pic, haha...
but that ain't the same as OT, i.e., the soundfont bank, haha.

htw

Just reading about this and evidently one of the problems is that the original music was designed to play with old sound cards compatible with XP rather than Win7 and the same music just doesn't sound the same when played today. The music files would have to be "converted" (in ways I don't fully understand yet) to capture the same quality when played with "modern"
soundcards.

P99 has some long threads on this.

My problem is I'm not an audio hardware "enthusiast" like some people are so I just want to get the final top quality result without reading 18 pages of technical advice. I had made a disk like this years ago which I used to play while driving but I lost it!

There's a lot on Google on this topic so I'll keep researching.

You COULD ... but how many people keep their og discs. You don't count!

AFAIK Jay whatshisnuts had a master soundfont file from original composure and had helped in reproducing an accurate sf.

Dunno mang.

I do.. I have a box of them downstairs lol