Fkin Vroom

wow i cant believe so many americans use auto. do you lot do much racing then as it would suck to race using an auto!

My car(and most new cars) can actually manually change gears if wanted. The transmissions can change gears faster than a human, so really, even in racing, the auto would be better in my car.

Drive a real stick then tell me that slap stick shit is shifting. Its no where near the same.

As for the effort thing of driving a stick, its a reflex, for the first 6 months after trading in my 318is for a ML500 I was still hitting my break trying to hit my clutch every time I came to a stop in a hurry. That was over 2 years ago. I still when I have to hit my breaks for something in the road I reach for my stick shift hit my clutch then break as I try to downshift.

Something you cannt really do with a slap stick

You can downshift to stop with a slap stick..... Probably faster.....

Not sure what you could be talking about. Unless you are just saying you can't go from 6th to 1st.... and are you really arguing that sticks are better than slapsticks because of their stopping power? And it is the same. Exactly the same. You are doing the exact same thing with a slap stick as you would with a manual... except there is no clutch because the transmission does the "clutch" for you.

And I have driven a stick...for a few days....

Just sounds like a feeble attempt of the "manuals only omgz" people of justifying why manuals rule.

WELLLLCOME TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROOOOOOOW

Last edited:
wow i cant believe so many americans use auto. do you lot do much racing then as it would suck to race using an auto!

My car(and most new cars) can actually manually change gears if wanted. The transmissions can change gears faster than a human, so really, even in racing, the auto would be better in my car.

Drive a real stick then tell me that slap stick shit is shifting. Its no where near the same.

As for the effort thing of driving a stick, its a reflex, for the first 6 months after trading in my 318is for a ML500 I was still hitting my break trying to hit my clutch every time I came to a stop in a hurry. That was over 2 years ago. I still when I have to hit my breaks for something in the road I reach for my stick shift hit my clutch then break as I try to downshift.

Something you cannt really do with a slap stick

You can downshift to stop with a slap stick..... Probably faster.....

Not sure what you could be talking about. Unless you are just saying you can't go from 6th to 1st.... and are you really arguing that sticks are better than slapsticks because of their stopping power? And it is the same. Exactly the same. You are doing the exact same thing with a slap stick as you would with a manual... except there is no clutch because the transmission does the "clutch" for you.

And I have driven a stick...for a few days....

Just sounds like a feeble attempt of the "manuals only omgz" people of justifying why manuals rule.

WELLLLCOME TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROOOOOOOW

Few days is no where near driving a manual.

You test drove one its not anywhere near the same.

The only 2 things I hate about my car is. Its a slapstic 5 speed, and its an American car.

The fact you do not have control of the clutch changes everything. You would understand this if you actually drove one.

basically when driving fast, what i would normall do say if im in third gear at around 100 mph, approaching a corner that i need to take at 40mph. i would obviously break, then whilst i was breaking with my ball of my foot, i would have my heal on my accelerator, balancing the revs so that as soon as i lift the clutch the revs would match what speed the wheels are spinning so the shift is smooth and there is no weight change in the car.

but for normal everyday driving and motorway blasting i must admit, my auto felt brilliant!

though you still cant beat the feel of a turbo boosting up then baaaaam!!!!

Yeah sounds like I made the right choice!

Oh and JJ, if you want to support other country's cars why don't ya just move there? I will only ever buy American.

buy jap, its the right thing to do!

once youve had jap, you will never go back!

I traded a Honda Fit for the Challenger....granted it was my wife's honda fit before it became a hand me down.

I will always either buy Chevrolet Ford or Dodge, that will never change, they've been good to me.

Oh and I like supporting the US Economy more than the Japanese Economy. Don't say Jap puts more money into us than the big 3 do. You are wrong, easy to prove, I just don't feel like it.

I buy foreign because they have been good to my family. Nothing to do with economy or anything, I just want what i know works.

same smarty, dont care to much for economy, in uk ford normally means fix or repair daily. jap seem to be most reliable. though the germans do brilliant diesels

As a guy that has installed and repaired transmissions for a good majority of his adult life i can safely tell you stick over slap stick any day. Dipo's or slapsticks as most people call them will do more harm than good to your traney there actually made to cause more gear dmg to automatics so they can milk more money off them in repairs once you leave warranty.

Also For racing yes automatics If there tuned right will shift at the same point every time where as a human in a manual will not but they also go out more frequently and dont deliver the same power/ performance that you can get from being able to hold gears longer. Imo for an every day driver or an occasional vrrom vrrom automatic if you arnt a gear head but for serious power a stick is the only way to go if you can drive one :p if you cant dont bother with a fast car until you learn how your just asking to fix your traney ever 3 months

Yeah sounds like I made the right choice!

Oh and JJ, if you want to support other country's cars why don't ya just move there? I will only ever buy American.

anyone who is brand loyal are dimwitted ass fucks. A smart person buys what is good. Not what is made in his backyard.

If I bought a truck I would buy a Ford. But for cars, American cars just do not hold up over the last 20 years to European cars.

A smart person realizes he can get a car just as good while NOT fucking the economy he lives in in the ass.

And yeah I don't believe for a minute that "Jap cars last longer" BS.

My GPA's Chevy(still going), My Dodge(traded it in), my Dads ford(he sold it), my mothers Dodge(still going), and my great uncles ford(sold when he died) all lasted over 300k miles with no MAJOR repairs.

My coworkers Toyota, my Grandpa's Toyota Truck, my Uncles Toyota, and my friends Honda all were lemons. By a large majority American cars have done much better in my family. Maybe Honda's/Toyotas are better for people who change their oil once every 15,000 miles, who knows. We take care of our cars.

As far as slap sticks not lasting long....no clue...had a Volkswagon beetle with one, and the honda fit had paddle shifters....never had any transmission issues with any of them. But neither one saw over 40k miles in my household. And my car comes with a 100k mile powertrain warranty...so they would lose a ton of money on making a transmission that breaks down as much as you say.

Last edited:
A smart person realizes he can get a car just as good while NOT fucking the economy he lives in in the ass.

What do you consider just as good, apparently is significantly different then what I consider just as good.

Since the say 1990 in general the US car manufacturers have put out sub par products. Until the last few years. Mid 80s US cars I would take but nothing from 90-05 really. They just didn't make them to last. We build shit in the states and it was not built for longevity.

Give me a European car with 150k miles I would be fine. Give me same year/maintained US car and 7/10 times it would cost you more money to maintain. Even though parts and labor are more on the Euro car.

What do you consider just as good, apparently is significantly different then what I consider just as good.

Since the say 1990 in general the US car manufacturers have put out sub par products. Until the last few years. Mid 80s US cars I would take but nothing from 90-05 really. They just didn't make them to last. We build shit in the states and it was not built for longevity.

Give me a European car with 150k miles I would be fine. Give me same year/maintained US car and 7/10 times it would cost you more money to maintain. Even though parts and labor are more on the Euro car.

As listed above, dealing with actual experience, that is false. It is a stereotype. Especially since I don't take you as a kind of person that will ever see a car above 200k miles.

Last edited:
As far as slap sticks not lasting long....no clue...had a Volkswagon beetle with one, and the honda fit had paddle shifters....never had any transmission issues with any of them. But neither one saw over 40k miles in my household. And my car comes with a 100k mile powertrain warranty...so they would lose a ton of money on making a transmission that breaks down as much as you say.

Yet you say American is better when you have never really put the vw or the fit to the test and actually put over 100k miles on it.

You do not need a 100k warranty when your product is known to last. You need a 100k warranty when your last 15 years of models have had major issues with the first 60k miles.

American auto companies have a bad name for a reason. If you refuse to take the blinders off and admit. Made in America does not mean its better.

Yet you say American is better when you have never really put the vw or the fit to the test and actually put over 100k miles on it.

You do not need a 100k warranty when your product is known to last. You need a 100k warranty when your last 15 years of models have had major issues with the first 60k miles.

American auto companies have a bad name for a reason. If you refuse to take the blinders off and admit. Made in America does not mean its better.

Thats the same warranty honda and toyota offer....

No, I believe Americans(you) are stupid and gullible.

I know from experience that all that BS is false.

At work
3 Dodges
2 Chevy
2 Toyotas
1 Suzuki.

Guess which 2 cars have been in the shop more than twice this year? If you guess Toyota, grats, you win!

Do some research on the subject.

Last edited:

As listed above, dealing with actual experience, that is false. It is a stereotype. Especially since I don't take you as a kind of person that will ever see a car above 200k miles.

Have had 2 cars with over 150k miles on them. While technically the volvo is Ford its still Euro design. It rusted out the underside due to the roads where I live. The second was a 96 BWM that I put 100k miles on myself. Sold it with 158k on it. Bought it with mid 40k.

The one american car I had a dodge had 40k and was constantly breaking down.

Honda didnt offer the warranty till the last few years, they did it to counter GMs marketing.

Problem is we aren't talking about 0-2 out of 10 vs 0-5 out of 10... the gaps for specific areas are MUCH smaller than that.

In most areas, if you look at CR, the problem rate for a new car is below 1% (link below). In fact, for 2007 models, the worst problem rate is for body integrity at 3% (squeaks and rattles). For a 10 year old car, the AVERAGE major engine problem rate is 1 in 25 vehicles (4%).

http://www...ories-406/

This is how, after 10 years of ownership, while Toyotas definitely still look good in their ratings, the difference between Toyota and Ford is actually about 40 problems per 100 vehicles, or 0.4 extra repairs per vehicle. These aren't necessarily new transmissions/engines either, remember - the average repair cost is still around $350 or so.

And that's for those vehicles built 10 years ago, if you assume that their measurement is perfect. Considering that they ignore problems such as Honda transmissions that failed but were covered by recall, and that any survey has statistical error, this really isn't the case....

So my answer? It isn't that the reliability of Hondas and Toyotas is a myth. It's that the perceived low quality of the competition *IS* a myth. The vast majority of cars out there are VERY good, so buy what you want and maintain it well. That last part is more important than brand for achieving reliability...

Now, learn about slanted the surveys were. Eventually you will figure out how much BS people saying that is. I know from personal experience, so I don't even need to rely on other's fiction to change my mind. American cars will last just as long as any other car. This myth will eventually be gone from the industry and in hindsight, people will feel stupid.

Last edited:

No, I believe Americans(you) are stupid and gullible.

I know from experience that all that BS is false.

At work
3 Dodges
2 Chevy
2 Toyotas
1 Suzuki.

Guess which 2 cars have been in the shop more than twice this year? If you guess Toyota, grats, you win!

Do some research on the subject.

Just out of curiosity.. who makes Toyota? Actually what geographical location is it designed in. What location are most Toyotas that are sold in the US manufactured at?

Now back to case in point... What area do I support?