EQ2 "Prison Server"

zdozbou

EQ Knowledge King
Reaction score
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-prison-server-experiment-drunder.562937/

Later this week we plan to release a server we are calling “Drunder,” which is a “prison server.” What does that mean, exactly? Ultimately, players who are caught breaking our rules and disrupting EQ2 live server gameplay will be flagged for this server, and no others -- ever. Characters on these accounts will be copied to Drunder (the “prison server”) and can never leave or transfer to another server.

This is a server our Customer Service Game Masters have requested over the years in order to manage disruptive players. They will determine who goes there. As gamers, we recognize there are some players who like to step outside our rules.

Drunder will get no customer service support and it will require a maintained membership to access and play. Rather than disrupt live servers in an attempt to join the “prison server,” players can use our /petition system and ask to join Drunder. To be clear: You won’t be able to move individual characters to this server, while maintaining characters from the same account on another server. This is a ONE-WAY trip for an entire account forever.

Ultimately, players who break the rules – or want to – will have a world of their own to do… whatever they will.

As I said, this is an experiment. We wanted to see what happens given it's not a very common option.

Let's see where this takes us…

If it's successful, I'm sure the concept will be applied to EQ1 as well.

I've thought that this was a good idea for a while. I called it the Wild West server. Anything goes and you play at your own risk.

I am Yulaw! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine.

This server would be fun pvp style...

I consider my server to be "home". I have been there since 1999. If they take me out of there forever and ever, for whatever reasoning, they can kiss my $$$ good-bye.

Not a rage quit, I am just not going to accept that treatment. I am just saying them telling me I am not allowed on the server I started on is as good as them telling me I can't play EQ anymore.

Last edited:
I consider my server to be "home". I have been there since 1999. If they take me out of there forever and ever, for whatever reasoning, they can kiss my $$$ good-bye.

Not a rage quit, I am just not going to accept that treatment. I am just saying them telling me I am not allowed on the server I started on is as good as them telling me I can't play EQ anymore.

It seems more of instead of perma banning the account they transfer you to that server so either way you wont be playing your chars on your "home" server.

It will be interesting to see how it works out, I don't see good things ahead for that server. You will get every fuckwit wanting to destroy it as much as they can because they can. It wont be a happy place of hacking, it will be a shithole.

I think they see this as the easy fix of people complaining about being banned and wanting a second chance that clogs up there support system.

Kronos have also introduced a value presidence within the world. They ban 20m worth of Platinum, that's 20 Kronos or $339.80, anyone would be pissed if a company just suddenly took $300 from you with no recourse, I wouldn't be surprised if they've had a few people file civil suits over this. Or the other way around, you purchase 20 Kronos, then they ban your account, you can file a credit card chargeback on not receiving goods purchased which you'd win. Move them to a locked down server, problem solved on there end for both situations above.

Maybe my anti-krono bias is showing within this post, but the idea sounds good in theory, but in practice I think it's going to be worse than any server you've ever seen (Yes much worse than any Zek server). I am kinda glad daybreak are trying new ideas, I have my popcorn on the ready.

It seems more of instead of perma banning the account they transfer you to that server so either way you wont be playing your chars on your "home" server.

It will be interesting to see how it works out, I don't see good things ahead for that server. You will get every fuckwit wanting to destroy it as much as they can because they can. It wont be a happy place of hacking, it will be a shithole.

Yes, I understand. It's their solution to enforce the rules they set and still get paid. However, I'm not going to pay them. My original character was a ranger. then I went rogue forever. Stopped playing for 5 or 7 years and came back and started all new heroic characters. I have no sentimental attachment to the characters, however I always played on the same server and I am not going to accept them telling me to fuck off and still want me to pay.

Last edited:
Maybe my anti-krono bias is showing within this post, but the idea sounds good in theory, but in practice I think it's going to be worse than any server you've ever seen (Yes much worse than any Zek server). I am kinda glad daybreak are trying new ideas, I have my popcorn on the ready.

I will admit, I sure as @#$% wouldn't want to play on a server like that - not that I am warping, disrupting zones, etc - but it would almost be tempting to start a new account with a fake name, CC and IP address just to get banned and see how devolved chat gets.

Will be interesting to see where they set the threshold for banning at. I am sure it would be non-pvp because they would want to keep as many people as possible still paying . . . er, playing. Unless it solely is in response to complaints from people with kronos.

No customer service there either I bet... If you have some sort of legitimate problem on the prison server, you are probably going to be SOL...

No customer service there either I bet... If you have some sort of legitimate problem on the prison server, you are probably going to be SOL...

Drunder will get no customer service support and it will require a maintained membership to access and play.

It reminds of those island prison movies where the condemned are sent to a lawless isolated location where some warlord rules. e.g. Escape from NY

Is it April Fool's Day yet?

If it's true, they anticipated a BIG problem by allowing players who WANT to play on Drunder to be able to petition to be transferred. Can you imagine if such players INTENTIONALLY disrupted play on "non-prison" servers just to be transferred to Drunder? It'd be like those prison movies where the bad guy wants to get sent to isolation because he has a better chance of escaping from there so he knifes another prisoner just to get sent there.

Because you just KNOW some players will want to go to the "prison planet" EQ!

--

I'm shocked....

there haven't been any ass-play related jokes tossed around what with the prison theme and all.

On drunder you're forced to toss 20 salads before you can join a group.

All toons will be named Jared from Subway on the prison server....

conspiracy theory in me also thinks it would give them a concentrated server to perfect the MQ detection

Since they can do that anyway - to me, it's really just a way to retain at least some of the income instead of banning, and let the 'troublemakers' feel free to go do whatever they like. I gotta admit though, maybe I'm just crazy, but if I gotta get 'banned' - I'd be into ending up in prison! ;)

htw