EQ Next

The title of your thread got me all excited that there was some sneak peek stuff you might have found, such a let down :(

Since they're just now opening these positions, I guess we're looking at something like 3-5 years before release :( As long as they do it right...

Christ, 3-5 YEARS??!! What the f*ck have they been doing for the LAST 3-5 years?!

Since they're just now opening these positions, I guess we're looking at something like 3-5 years before release :( As long as they do it right...

That isn't necessarily true. They've probably been working on it for a while, but someone left the team, or they have gotten it far enough along that Sony corporate extended them more funding and they are looking at add more developers to speed things along.

I would not be surprised if it was being slated for beta by the middle of next year or possibly sooner.

I am going to try it when it comes, I am afraid I will really like it though.

I think it's all just a joke... Everquest NEXT!!...
attempt 1.... NEXT....
attempt 2.... NEXT....

It may never happen.

I hope Sony pays attention to some of the comments in that thread. Like about running thru a zone, having no idea what's coming up next and then sometimes getting wasted by a high-level mob that just happens to come across you.

I agree that was part of what made the original EQ so addicting.

It's also the kind of challenge that current MMO players might not be able to stomach so maybe there's no hope for an EQNext with that kind of flavor.

I hope Sony pays attention to some of the comments in that thread. Like about running thru a zone, having no idea what's coming up next and then sometimes getting wasted by a high-level mob that just happens to come across you.

I agree that was part of what made the original EQ so addicting.

It's also the kind of challenge that current MMO players might not be able to stomach so maybe there's no hope for an EQNext with that kind of flavor.

Yeah I rarely encounter "MMO" players that can list EverQuest or Asheron's Call or Ultima Online... I mean those games were and are still gfg, but no one can stand it because they want to faceroll everything from the moment they log in, then be able to spam general channels with lulpix and lolcatz comments. If gear isn't color coded, forget about it!

I'd love to see another EQ game without maps... maps are the worst :mad:

I don't know if they're up for it, but a cartography skill would be cool. Not sure how it would work, and I don't really want to get into discussions of 'what it should be.'

It was cool playing without maps though. Hard sometimes.

The funny thing is that most people who say it's cool to play without maps, within 2 days of EQ Next going live, those same people will be looking for a map plugin for "Macroquest Next" to use to hack EQ Next!

You know this is true!

Sony certainly already has many mechanics and methods for game creation in place. I could guess either direction.