Daybreak Upcoming Patch Targeting MMOBugs Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Fry Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
Well it's been almost 12 years, Daybreak has decided to immortalize MMOBugs in EverQuest by adding them to there exe. Here is part of the new exe that just hit test server.

MMOBugs.png

As you can see they are specifically looking to see if MQ2MMOBugs.dll, MQ2GMCheck.dll, MQ2MMOFastMem.dll, MQ2DoCrack.dll, MQ2NoGold.dll, MQ2Bot.dll, MQ2Cast.dll, MQ2PiggyZone.dll and MQ2Stealth.dll are loaded by there file names on test server.

Other than MQ2Cast, all those plugins are pretty much focused at MMOBugs users but will ultimately affect everyone in the MQ2 community as MQ2Cast is almost a core plugin. Test server is currently only allowing one account per computer for testing this new code.

There was an agreement with Daybreak and EQMule that no MQ2 release would work on Phinigel which we were planning on following. EQMule has been told by Daybreak that MQ2 detection code is only there for stopping people using MQ2 on Phinigel (No-Box Server), and wont enforce punishments on other servers for MQ2 usage unless it's for active hacks. As this code is only on test server, we can't see if it's only reporting for the Phinigel server at this stage.

The easiest thing to do would be renaming those plugins, or bypass the code but we are trying to get clarification on these changes before we make any decisions. I don't want to play the cat and mouse game of hide the MQ2 code if we don't have to. I'll try and keep you updated with what is going on. We wont do a MQ2 release if we think it will jeopardizing your accounts.

This post is for Daybreak who is reading this. You are obviously going after active hacks and character automation with this detection, though your choice of plugins are very confusing. Let me give you a hand.

MQ2MMOBugs - This is only a login system, no active hacks here, detecting this is pointless other than being an annoyance to us.
MQ2GMCheck - This only checks the who list and lets you know there is a GM in the zone, another pointless thing to detect.
MQ2MMOFastMem - This one could be argued either way, though technically an active hack.
MQ2DoCrack - This technically is an active hack, and if you go after this, the plugin will more than likely be split into different places as there are so many different features within it.
MQ2NoGold - You require gold to access phinny anyway, no reason to detect this.
MQ2Bot - Detecting this is useless as it will just cause people to move back to macros.
MQ2Cast - This is one of the most commonly used plugins which only improves the MQ2 Cast system.
MQ2PiggyZone - Detecting this would be pretty smart though very low amount of people use it.
MQ2Stealth - It's a pretty powerful active hack you really shouldn't want in your game.

FWIW, I have agreed to disable mq2bot on phinny.

MQ2Bot doesnt even auto pull, so a macro can actually automate AFK entirely where as the plugin cannot. Even so, I have had eqmule ask to get it removed from that list in return for disabling it entirely on the new server. Hopefully you guys understand. If not, you should send strongly worded letters to your senators or air your grievances at the Festivus pole, like the rest of us.

Mq2 detection is to be expected (for phinny) I can't say much about it yet, cause well I don't have much info that I can share) but rest assured, the plugins in the test exe right now are just a sample for their test, it's not the final list, so there is no reason to panic, we knew the scan was coming and also, targeting mmobugs wasn't intentional, probably just a zip they grabbed that had pre compiled dlls in it and they picked out a few that had "nefarious" names...
Take my word for it or not, but you will notice both mq2mmobugs.dll and mq2cast.dll will be gone from the scan in the next exe.

As someone mentioned before there are multiple actual bad plugins that should be scanned for instead of those two which both are non malign and completely inactive.

Mq2docrack, mq2warp, mq2ghostkill etc. the list is long so anyway, there are plenty of better candidates for the scan, and I'll do what I can for them to include those instaed.

Last edited:
EQMule or Fry,

Can you guys tell us if they are targeting the other live servers or are they ONLY concerned about the new prog server?

EQMule or Fry,

Can you guys tell us if they are targeting the other live servers or are they ONLY concerned about the new prog server?

From what I've seen/read so far they're really only worried about the new progression server, nothing else. Even then it looks like it's still in discussion.

EQMule or Fry,

If they target live servers, they will effectively kill of majority of the player base. Which I doubt they would want to do, it would just be silly of Daybreak.
The remaining player base is quite valuable to Daybreak, as this game still brings in quite a bit of revenue for them. If they do anything to jeopardize mq2, in that regard, Daybreak would suffer the consequences later on.

There are absolutely NO plans to target mq2 users on the other servers, this scan is for the phinny server only, which is why we support it.

Last edited:
Every time Sony went after MQ2 hardcore they gave an announcement in game to stop using it.

Today is thanksgiving, so this is by no means some kind of "can u fix it plz plz plz" stupidity, but I wonder what that means for the short term, like on Test - does that mean that they will proceed with the detection and it'll be a wink, wink, nod, nod thing and thus we could get a test compile up before they remove the non-active hack dlls, or is this a 'hold on for now, we do need to wait for them to fix their exe before we recompile for it?'

Again - enjoy your families, fellas, this isn't some kind of whining about getting it fixed right now thing. Just wondering for the shorter term.

The plan fact that DBG is in contact with Eqmule over this is enough proof they value the MQ users even if it is only for subs and know what kind of consequences a mass ban would have on the game itself. It is long overdue and if it is only active hacks who cares. Not only that but if people know they can use MQ (Smartly) and not have fears of suspensions or bans it may bring an influx to both MQ and the game itself.

I'd be curious to see how many subs drop considering I know myself I subbed here just for the TLP. Are there really more players not playing TLP servers than there are playing TLP? I would think most mq2 would be on TLP if more players are on TLP. I cant say how many people I met using MQ2 and talked about it so openly.

And yeah mq2bot is nice but most of my automation is macro

Last edited:
It's only for the new progression server not for the current ones. The new progression server that has no-box ruleset would be shit for mmobugs users anyway since most of us use mmobugs to assist with multiboxing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the server is a flop since so many eq players multibox since it's a near requirement to get anywhere in the game these days. I rather log on and play the game than sit around lfg for hours. fuck that shit.

I dunno, consider the popularity of P1999 and that's strictly anti-boxing.

This is pretty interesting because I've seen people all over LJ claiming that there would be no MQ for Phinny and that they're cracking down, yada yada yada and I just figured it was kids crying, wishing, and hoping. But after reading this post I guess its totally true.

EQMule/Fry why are you guys ok with the detection for this server? Is it because you want to value the servers rules itself or do you want to comply to avoid a large rift between MQ/DBG in large?

I assume its probably a bit of both. My main account has done plenty of warping over the last 12 years, so I'm sure my account has been flagged for years regarding using some sort of hack and they've never once suspended or ban me. I'm not too concerned.

I just want to make sure that you guys are prepared to start combating detection if DBG goes beyond their boundaries of this little...semi agreement? I don't know what to call it.

It's either mq2 on phinny or mq2 on the rest of the servers, we can't have both long term.
We do phinny mq2, and we start a detection war which I don't have time for, no one pays me to write ring 0 drivers to avoid detection.
I hope there are many players that won't play on phinny unless there is a mq2 for it, and that's kinda the point, let phinny die quickly so we can get back to playing eq how it's meant to be played.

Next tlp will probably be boxing allowed with all raids instanced, but only if we can prove to dbg that boxers are in majority and want this...

IF phinny is a success it might very well be the end for boxers on all servers.
Both redguides and mmobugs understand this, which is why they won't release mq2 for that server. It would destroy them long term.
I hope all mq2 users will understand and support this decision as well cause it's the smart thing to do.

Well I think phinny will kill ragefire and lockjaw, and it is slightly best of both worlds. More serious players wanted 90 day expansions, but the downside is the shitty instanced raids but that happens after PoP anyway.

I know I was in the top guild on RF and we have pretty much collapsed after the velious march vote and now this, we are reforming on phinny. I know a few people from top guilds on LJ are going to the new server too. So I think this is the death of the first two progression, plus this new one will pass the first two in expansions eventually.

I would like to use MQ2 because well I have three computers.. I'd like to think most people that boxed 20+ had at least 2 computers. I mostly liked mq2 for the map lol but I did dabble in more automation this time around.

I do kind of agree about the boxing but at the same time I felt like obligated to box 30 accounts and it eventually dragged on me, it was a lot of maintenance and such. I wish we could go back to the old days where people did 2-3 box, maybe 6 box but this krono thing has inflated that. How do we get back to there?

Most of us in TL are convinced that DBG faked this vote. It's their poor management that's lead to this bullshit. We have tons over 600 characters in TL and thats not including all the alt guilds the boxers put their boxes in. I dont know how that vote could have made it to march.. the only explanation is that lockjaw was able to vote and the vote kept resetting everyday. Yet DBG ignores this and continues to let velious be in march. Most of us are convinced this was their ploy to promote phinny. I just find it unbelievable that casuals could outnumber people with 30-60 accounts ontop of the rest of our guild.

Last edited:
its a pretty simple answer. If MQ2 is allowed on phinny it could make DBG take a stance on MQ2 all together and hurt everyone that could care less about one server. As much as these TLP people like to think they do not out number the players on other servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.