Bodybuilding

a good little find there Cuda, right at the beginning he explains that calories arnt everything, so i hope that kinda clears it up a little Demon :)

It sounds like to me I would be losing nutrients, not not losing weight >.>

Thanks JJ for that info, but I guess I meant to say that snacking really isn't my problem; meals are. I tend to over-eat and to also eat bad food. I tend to not cook for myself because I work swing shifts so I am gone throughout the entire day really.

Does anybody have a resource online that could help someone figure out what to prepare in advance and maybe set aside in a fridge or freezer until they are ready to heat it up again?

One thing that I have thought interesting. With the horrible amount of obesity in the US, and the world for that matter, the government spends billions of dollars for God knows what to give resources for everything you can imagine BUT...

In order to get a workout plan, nutrition plan or any REAL information about healthy eating/living, you need to fork out a crap ton of cash to some online resource that may or may not know what they are talking about. If the government was serious about fighting obesity, they would get their top nutritionists so that the information was accurate, and set out easy to follow plans for people to get their weight on track. Something other than "follow a healthy diet and exersize".

THAT ADVICE DOES NOT WORK!!! People need more than that. What is healthy? Okay, we know some of the basics...but how do you balace health and good taste and satisfaction?? What about someone that thinks seafood is disgusting? (I tend to hear a lot of things about eating seafood, but I hate it).

I know I sound like I am complaining a lot, but I feel like I am in the boat of "I don't know a lot about eating right, and I feel that there should be a larger amount of FREE resources out there to lay out a specific plan for people". Maybe that's asking too much though...

I can list some foods later today maybe that are healthy.

But as for the over eating that is why you portition out small baggies and fruit. You need to also follow the slow eating rules we talked about a few posts back. You over eat because you are not fully chewing / taking time eating your food (well most do anyways).

As for taste/cooking, you can pre pair a lot of foods by cooking them then letting them cool and then refregorating them. most have access to a microwave to reheat things. Frozen veggies tossed into a bowl of brown rice with some sliced chicken is a really good microwave meal.

Nah, because were not talking about the weight of the food, were talking about its health values.

a small peice of doughnut Vs an orange... same energy values, but the doughnut has fat, and sugars, nothing there the body NEEDS... the Orange on the other hand is high in vitamin C, which firstly is great for helping to avoid coughs and colds, but it doesnt have high fat contents.

When we eat fatty foods, the parts of our brain that handles touch becomes active, this is something that comes from our ancestors. Basically, when we were living in caves and huntin animals with flint weapons, our bodies needed more of these fats, because it wasnt sure when its next meal was coming. So eating these foods gives off a "feel good" mood, eating fatty foods makes you happy, you cant explain it, it just does.
Were all subject to it, place a tub of icecream in front of me, and i dont care if Beyonce is getting naked in the next room...

However, in modern times, this natural reaction to fatty foods still takes place, although we dont need it. We dont need to store extra fatt foods, because were going to get fed consistently every day.

Here is what a quick google search shows for values of an orange. And here is the link to the values of a Donut, see the diffrence? :)

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories-in-food/buns-cakes/Jam-Donut.htm

Code:
 Nutritional Value of Orange:
Nutrition Facts and Information about Orange: Orange is a good source of minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and sulfur. It also contains traces of chlorine.

Vitamin Content: Orange, like other citrus fruits, is known for Vitamin C content. Due to this high amount of vitamin C, orange helps in absorbing calcium into the body and maintaining the health of teeth and bones. It also contains vitamin A and vitamin B.

Calorific Content of Orange: 100g of orange contains about 60 calories. This energy is available in the form of sugar which can be absorbed by the body easily. Hence orange juice is often fed to people who have become weak due to some illness. Orange juice is also a good refresher after a long exhaustive day.

Health Benefits of Orange: The nutritional value of orange makes it good for indigestion, constipation, bowel disorders, dyspepsia, dental care, pyorrhea, bone health, heart diseases, respiratory problems, cold, cough, influenza, skin care, pimples, acne, fever, measles, typhoid and tuberculosis (T.B.).

I can list some foods later today maybe that are healthy.

But as for the over eating that is why you portition out small baggies and fruit. You need to also follow the slow eating rules we talked about a few posts back. You over eat because you are not fully chewing / taking time eating your food (well most do anyways).

As for taste/cooking, you can pre pair a lot of foods by cooking them then letting them cool and then refregorating them. most have access to a microwave to reheat things. Frozen veggies tossed into a bowl of brown rice with some sliced chicken is a really good microwave meal.

Thanks JJ, I appreciate the responses and info.

Demon, don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you just don't want to give up your comfort foods. Just about everything that has been said in these posts as relateing to diet and exercise is bang on dude. YOU have to make it work. There is no magic formula or pill that will do it for you. It takes alot of work and dedication to get down to a target weight. Just ask your wife, she knows. Also, it doesn't have to be expensive. Simple changes to a lifestyle, proper diet and exercise and alot of will power is all it really takes. If you can find the book "Body for Life" by Bill Philips, it will guide you through some very effective exercises and diet changes that will make pounds melt away and pack on muscle. It isn't designed for those who wish to really bulk up for power lifting or any other competitive sport, but will help those who don't have alot of time to spare to lose weight and get really toned up.

Was just cleaning out my computer and found this picture from last year, me and my brother with Dorian Yates. ;)

n659091637_2221960_1098146.jpg

http://www.burnthefat.com/index1.html

If you don't want to buy it, might get the torrent somewhere. Basically a "how to drop fat and not muscle" from a guy who is paranoid about losing muscle mass. I mean, REALLY paranoid. Not as much use if you just want to drop fat to look good, but the technical info and recommended eating plans in the book are a very good read. If you are a reader, you could probably get through the lot in a night.

Again, from one of those "not massive but incredibly well formed" muscle builder guys. Good thing is there are a lot of offshoot sites that show the results gained from the plan, how they did it and progressive photos. The other thing is he's really anti-supplements except for protein powder. He does acknowledge that some supplements actually work, but preaches good food, 5-6 small meals a day, and proper strength exercises are the way to go.

It worked for me, but mid way through wifey got pregnant and for 4 months hated food (bad morning sickness that turned into bad all day and night sickness) and without her help I couldn't get the food cooked and set out due to sucking at it. (huge work hours, looking after other kid, hate preparing meat cause I'm a pussy).

/shrug. I'm going back on it in a few months.

Burn the Fat - eBook

For those that are interested in what cadman was talking about, I found the e-book no The Pirate Bay. I have downloaded it, scanned it and opened it and I did not find any virus.

HOWEVER - I have got viruses from TPB before just from the ads on their website. I definitely recommend using Mozilla Firefox WITH noscript. Ever since I started using those two, I have not got any viruses from the ads on TPB. Just letting you guys know to warn you.

Book seems interesting and I read the guys webpage (Book costs $39.95) and he seems to call out the entire weight loss industry for their tricks to get you to buy their product...that made me skeptical because he was using many of the same tricks. Some hot words that cause fear, excitment etc were used in his webpage. I don't recomment buying his book, but if you're interested, use the link above to download it for free.

Yeah I lol'd at a lot of his website when I first saw it - bit of a dumbass. BUT, the secret he's selling is pretty simple - Exercise first thing in the morning, eat 5-6 small meals a day, calorie count, use protein powder to make up shortfalls, don't starve yourself, don't miss meals, keep carb/protein/fat %'s at whatever works for you (goes in to how to figure out what is best for you) and do the whole goal-setting thing.

As I said, it works, but it isn't what a lot of people want - the easy button. He's a fitness nut, not a bodybuilding nut, so these stupid "I got ripped in 4 weeks, thanks to this awesome supplement" or "only 1000 calories a day helped me lose 30lbs in 30 days" things aren't applicable. So low calorie intake is bad, burning the calories you consume + the extra fat is good, and if you're losing more than 2-3 lb per week then you are most likely reducing muscle mass and thus reducing metabolism, which is bad.

Probably a bit full on for most.

Honestly I have given up my comfort food. I am on a calorie diet but I am more addicted to being full than I am to the taste of foods. So I like to eat a lot, and on a low calorie diet that forces me to eat healthy. Like last night I had a club sandwich and broccoli. Wasn't bad.

Also yesterday I started exercising. I got on the bike again. I am SOOO out of shape. I rode 3 miles on a hilly trail. Afterwords I couldn't life my legs off the freakin ground and was nauseous. I plan to stick to it though.

Wish me luck guys.

**•• apologies, typed from phone ••**

The only horror stories i hear are people not lifting correctly, or people trying to lift too heavy and show off. It's one of the best compound lifts you can do IMO. Clean and jerk is very good also, I don't train with snatch, gym isn't big enough for me to attempt throwing weight over my head.

Some nice weights there guys, what sizes are you? I'm 6'5" and 115kg (240lbs)

You do realise that you used the words jerk and snatch in the same post without it being sexual?

hahaha, thanks for the input DT :p

I did realise, i carefully worded it so that it didnt 'cum' across as crude ;)

Honestly I have given up my comfort food. I am on a calorie diet but I am more addicted to being full than I am to the taste of foods. So I like to eat a lot, and on a low calorie diet that forces me to eat healthy. Like last night I had a club sandwich and broccoli. Wasn't bad.

Also yesterday I started exercising. I got on the bike again. I am SOOO out of shape. I rode 3 miles on a hilly trail. Afterwords I couldn't life my legs off the freakin ground and was nauseous. I plan to stick to it though.

Wish me luck guys.

This is not intended to be weird in any way, but did your ass hurt afterwards? I went for first ride in a few years the other day, within half a click it felt like someone had hit my assbones with a baseball bat.

edit: I have a good seat I think, some gel thing. The stock Trek saddle looked like a funny shaped piece of plastic with virtually no padding, so I got a flashy one thinking it would help. It didn't.

Last edited:
Yes man, very badly. I sat down in a recliner afterwards and about orgasmd.

I hope my ass gets used that >.<

I rode 7 Miles today, i wasn't going incredibly fast but it is an extremely hill path so I think im still working out pretty good.

i work at a company in the UK called Halfords, not sure if you have them in the US, anyways, they are pretty much the place to go for bikes. I work on / repair bikes.

Seriously with a saddle, go for something thats 60* and well padded until you get used to it. Gel tech are good, Anything sporty is crap unless your a well advanced rider tbh. Stick to something wide and well padded, but not too soft otherwise your ass gets that numb feeling, like when you sit in your computer chair too long, or in the cinema during a long movie.

i work at a company in the UK called Halfords, not sure if you have them in the US, anyways, they are pretty much the place to go for bikes. I work on / repair bikes.

Seriously with a saddle, go for something thats 60* and well padded until you get used to it. Gel tech are good, Anything sporty is crap unless your a well advanced rider tbh. Stick to something wide and well padded, but not too soft otherwise your ass gets that numb feeling, like when you sit in your computer chair too long, or in the cinema during a long movie.

60*? what's that mean?

60degrees... sorry don't have a degree symbol. Basically the angle at which you lean over the handle bars.

60degrees... sorry don't have a degree symbol. Basically the angle at which you lean over the handle bars.

Oh okay. So basically I have to sit perpendicular to the seat. That makes lots of sense when you think about it...

Sorry for bike derail people. back on topic, and good work demon, keep it up. I'm going to try for a 1 mile ride see if the broken bone chips in my ass reform.

As a sophmore in highschool i was 6'3 235. i was benching 315 squat 450 and deadlifting 500 i was a monster and my pops had me in the gym everyday. But on my football team everyone was like this guess that explains why we played for state in everything everyyear.

Any of you guys good some good tips for training specifically fast twitch muscle fibers?

Ive done some reading, and other than dropping the weight to 40-50% and banging out quick reps, ive found nothing. Anyone train another way, or at least something a little more interesting ?