Alternate EQ Clients - Request for Infomration

TypePun

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was considering writing an alternate EQ client. I have two ideas in mind. The first is a head-less client and the second is a Silverlight client.

Are there any good resources on the packet formats and the structure of the game files?

I realize that this request is not on-topic for the Emulators forum, but I could think of no place else to frame the request.

Any help or pointers are very much appreciated.

I'm guessing your best bet is to look through eqemu files or ask for help there.

This would be one hell of an accomplishment if you can pull it off. I do think it may be just too much work for a single person but I'd love to be proved wrong as it would open up a huge amount of new feature ideas for EQ.

Fry,

I agree. Imagine playing EQ in a browser? Or running 1/2 a dozen bots with minimal overhead from command line clients?

The first things I need to know are the packet formats. Ideally, the map formats would be useful to make and render map information.

I'll check into the eqemu sources, thanks. What is the current URL for the EqEmu source? Do you have any contact information?

I was thinking about how to make it MQ2 compatible, but that isn't a design objective at this time.

showeq has commonly used packet formats. You'll have to figure out the others on your own, but if you know what you're doing it shouldn't be too difficult.

I've been doing some overhauls to showeq, so you can probably throw some questions at me if you've got questions.

You can also ping ieatacid over at #macroquest on irc.lavishsoft.com, he's been deving for showeq for a while.