WINEQ

FireandIce

Reaction score
I've noticed that in several postings regarding the new eqpatcher, that some of the MMO family use a program "WINEQ"...I'm wondering what this is?...I've played for 12 yrs, I've always used the Sony Patcher. I went to CNET.com and read about WinEq but was hoping someone of you could provide more details on how it works etc...I've patched my one system with the new loader but havnt on my other computers until I'm confident that there is no MMO detection involved in the new patcher...Is Wineq2 the latest version? How does it work in relation to EQ and downloading updates?...any answers or thoughts appreciated...Thanks Everyone!

if you box then you may be better off with Innerspace and ISBoxer. I changed recently from WinEQ and would never go back)

if you box then you may be better off with Innerspace and ISBoxer. I changed recently from WinEQ and would never go back)

Thanks Cobold...I like to think I'm somewhat computer savy, but have to admit I dont even use allot of the "functionality" of this MMO, kind of scares me to be messing with programing LoL...I've checked the two u mentioned and ISBoxer looks pretty good..Are either of these 2 programs a "violation" of Sonys EUBA? Just want to make sure i know what Im getting into before I sign up. Thanks again.

Funny...but sad

So out of curiousity I called Sony...When asked for my Station Handle I told the rep I prefer to stay ANON, he sez np...explained to him that I did get my hands wrapped for using MMO in late 2011 (just like many of us) and I explained to him that I used the MMO for the gate/warp capabilities being that I'm a boxer....I explained to him that I was looking to enhance my game play being that I dont use MMO (ok, I lied, but thou I continue to use it I only use "passive" stuff) I was considering the use of a program such as "ISBOXER or InnerSpace" etc....the rep (Jim) I spoke to sez that he uses ISBOXER himself, but as I talked to him he checked their online chat service for a GM...No GM for EQ was available or responding, but he ended up asking a GM for EQ2, who came bk saying that any 3rd part software (Including ISBoxer) was a violation of the EUBA and could get a "ban" if discovered...NOW THE FUNNY Part.....The rep (Jim) comes back and sez that he didnt know himself that ISBOXer was a "violation" and he has been using it for sometime, and then he laughed as it would not look good for him to get banned for the same game he provides technical support to and is now going to remove the program....It was an interesting convo, pretty honest both ways, so I guess I'll just stick with the risk I know (ie. MMO) and stay away from the other stuff.

ISBoxer is run on top of Innerspace I believe. Innerspace is kind of like MQ2 and gives you the ability to manipulate the game in ways not intended. In EQ2 I wrote bots using Innerspace. So I would not be surprised if Innerspace / ISBoxer was considered against the EULA.

WinEQ on the other hand, has been given the ok for the most part, since all it does is force EQ into a window and position it where you want it to go. EQPlayNice comes with WinEQ and limits how much memory EQ uses, and the background frame rate and such to give better computer performance.

All that said, I like WinEQ a lot more than ISBoxer myself. ISBoxer is not capable of functioning the way I like to run my EQ windows, and after talking with Lavish (the developer of WinEQ and ISBoxer) about it for a while it was determined that ISBoxer would never live up to the way I use WinEQ.

For example, WinEQ will let you create different profiles and open an EQ window using any profile to open it anywhere you want (primarily good for multiple monitors). ISBoxer on the other hand has to open windows in order, and one window region has to be designated as a primary focused window. So if you don't consistently log in the same characters in the same window regions, or load up the same number of characters all the time, ISBoxer is no where near the functionality of WinEQ.

I have used WinEQ even before I was an MQ2er. It is fantastic, I can have all my instances start with NO PATCHER and each one has a unique tab name on the menu bar (I use the toon name on each one) so cycling thru your toons is very easy.

Thanks Devast & Orion.....Im gonna go with WinEq....thanks for the feedback

If I am playing a single toon or 2boxing, I prefer WinEQ. If I am boxing 3 or more, I prefer InnerSpace. It's just a preference thing.