Win7 Upgrades

BlueBug

Premium Member
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking at buying a new laptop for her but I'm curious if / how it will be upgradable to Win7 from Vista. Anyone have some info on this?

Thanks- BB

running w7 on my new laptop , runs fine,.

Laptops that qualify for the "free" upgrade to windows 7 can be found listed on the mircosoft web site here some will send out an upgrade disk others will offer a download service when windows 7 is released. I believe the upgrade path that is on offer is as follows:
Windows Vista® Home Premium upgrades to Windows® 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista® Business upgrades to Windows® 7 Professional
Windows Vista® Ultimate upgrades to Windows® 7 Ultimate

Hope that answers you question.

That being said it is most definitely to your advantage to go windows 7 over Vista. I have been using Windows 7 since the fist public beta and have upgraded as the leaks have been released (currently runnnig Build 7600) and have nothing but praise for the Dev team that worked on this version of windows. even in it's beta form it is so much more stable and user friendly than Vista ever could be.

Damn you guys are fast. This does answer my question and the one we're looking at is on that list. Thanks so much.

Of what I've read about it, I have seen very few negative somments about Win7. The wife wants a touch screen laptop and even on the boards for touch screen users they seem to like it over Vista.

Thank guys,

BB

Good luck with that insane wife of yours =)

Touchscreen /shiver

I am running Windows 7 RC on all of my computers except one (including my Media Center). So far, I am very impressed... you can finally move taskbar icons around without third party software!! On a more serious note, there really are some cool new features, and if you just want to load it on for free (license expires August of next year), you could google Windows 7 RC and download it from the Microsoft download page.

Damn you guys are fast. This does answer my question and the one we're looking at is on that list. Thanks so much.

Of what I've read about it, I have seen very few negative somments about Win7. The wife wants a touch screen laptop and even on the boards for touch screen users they seem to like it over Vista.

Thank guys,

BB

Touchscreen is not all its cracked up to be its window dressing and is pretty much worthless to most.

As for the negative feedback for win7 I would assume most of it is from the people who either bought vista and now need to buy win7 or from the users who use XP and think its the bests thing in the world and anyone that would change is retarded.(aka those afraid of change)

I am running the final release version of Win7 and loving it. It has some really cool new features, like the ability to boot onto a Virtual Hard Drive, so I can make a boot partition that is snapshottable, etc. Definitely a better working OS than Vista, and once you get used to the setup, you won't want to go back to XP or Vista.

Yea, I don't understand why my wife wants a touch screen (of course theres alot about women in general I don't understand). But Shes dead set on one even though she dosen't have any specific need for it, window dressing is a good description of what she wants. But from what I'm reading win7 takes better advantage of touch screens over Vista.

Guess I'll be finding out soon, got the field narrowed to a couple of the HPs.

BB

Yea, I don't understand why my wife wants a touch screen (of course theres alot about women in general I don't understand). But Shes dead set on one even though she dosen't have any specific need for it, window dressing is a good description of what she wants. But from what I'm reading win7 takes better advantage of touch screens over Vista.

Guess I'll be finding out soon, got the field narrowed to a couple of the HPs.

BB

Take her to a retail store and let her play with a tablet PC and make sure she likes using her fingers on the screen. I find it most annoying, I do not like using a touch-screen keyboard when there are physical keys that beg to be pounded.

Computer I just got came with Vista, but has a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out, or something to that sort.

i <3 win 7 . upgraded from xp and haven't turned back! usin 7100 copy now.

Started fooling around with Windows 7 today, found a decent copy on Demonoid, but the activations are crap. Anyone have a decent activation, even if it is good till March 2010, I plan on buying Windows 7 soon as it releases. I was really impressed with it in the short time I have used it (basically today, since I decided to do my annual wipe on the PC). Can just PM me since I don't want to get MMOBUGS in trouble for warez!!

Started fooling around with Windows 7 today, found a decent copy on Demonoid, but the activations are crap. Anyone have a decent activation, even if it is good till March 2010, I plan on buying Windows 7 soon as it releases. I was really impressed with it in the short time I have used it (basically today, since I decided to do my annual wipe on the PC). Can just PM me since I don't want to get MMOBUGS in trouble for warez!!

Microsoft is still giving out free keys for this. Do a search on their website.

If you dont mind upgrades, buy Vista Ultimate OEM(179-189) and it comes with a Free Win7 upgrade. Or buy straight Win7 Ultimate 399 or the upgrade for 299

Most of the good torrents atm are of OEM or RTM so you cannt use the RC keys on them. Need to use 7loader or one of the other loaders around atm.

Oh, shit I didn't realize there were already torrents of the OEM out, I just assumed you were talking about the RC. My bad.

Yay free software for colleges!!

Yeah took me a bit to find out MS had it there free if you just say you are a IT person or student. I am downloading it now and have my serial. I can just fix it in 90 days (or sooner) when I buy Win 7 Ultimate.