Who's gonna try out DCOU?

Has anyone been having trouble staying logged in to DCUO? I cant stay on for more than 15 min at a time.Tried full scans turning off firewall and updating video drivers. no dice.:(

No, sorry man. I havent had a single connectivity issue with DCUO yet. Is that a recent development or has it been happening for more than a day? I didnt hop on at all Sunday so I cant say it wont happen tonight.
I would check the official DCUO Boards and see if they are having stability issues. If it is game wide, it will be easy enough to figure out from there.

I called SoE and apparently some routers have issues with DCUO and I had to force the ports to accept DCUO. Worked after that. level 12 and climbing on Darkness falls server. Went with Ice and 2h. seems pretty cool. trying to decide what i will do for a secondary weapon. Any suggestions?

so i made an ice /dual weild/ flying and i dont do big hits(or at least think they are big) or any kind of agro how do i convert to a tank? just go 2hand weapon?

I think a large part of it is the power selection. I chose a power that draws enemies to me then an AE attack to hit them once close to me. Still getting the hang of it really but i know once you get to level 10 i think you get designated as tank or whatever and you will have a sort of tank stance that will reduce dmg output but lessen dmg you take.

so i made an ice /dual weild/ flying and i dont do big hits(or at least think they are big) or any kind of agro how do i convert to a tank? just go 2hand weapon?

What level are you? You don't get your "Tank" stance until level 10. Once you get that, all of your attacks will have a lot of aggro attached to them.

Just get used to casting your spells, and always having your tank buff up. You'll know it's up because there will be a green shield symbol underneath your health/power bars.

Dual Wield isn't big hits. It's smaller hits really fast. 2 handed is slow hits, bigger. Just a different style of play but I think they will all work.

The people in my league seem to think that flying/ice/martial arts makes the best tank.

I finally hit 30 with my flying fire staffer, and I think I'm going to do a full respec to aim at tanking -- my skill choices until now have been aimed at soloing. I've got 24 skill points, and I think I'll be switching to martial arts. Of course, most of the experienced people in my league have a point in every one of the weapon types for either healing or dps, depending on what they do. All of those extra 2% crit attack chances are...awesome.

My buddy rolled a Fire guy the same time I rolled an Ice guy. He's going to be going DPS in our Alerts, while I'll be the tank. He does way more DPS as fire, compared to me, and so he's better suited for that DPS role. I'm just really good at tanking. haha.

Yeah, between my fire knockback and flying pull-close AoEs, I can solo about 20 mobs with a single potion. Just spam the AEs til I run low on power, then pop a potion or if the mobs are low, run up and kill one while it's stunned for a few power orbs, then go back to nuking.

For the curious, this thread has an amazing amount of fire tank data. I'll be re-spec'ing myself based on it tonight.
http://www.dcuosource.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=59&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=6&t=12434

Last edited:
Someone on another forum made a good point, that this game is fun, but it doesn't become great until you find the class/weapon combo that clicks for you.

I started out as an Ice Tank, and I've hit level 30, and Ice is for sure a big tank role. However, I just started a Bow Mental controller, and boy it sure is a lot of fun. We'll see how I like it but I forsee myself really enjoying the controller role.

Someone on another forum made a good point, that this game is fun, but it doesn't become great until you find the class/weapon combo that clicks for you.

I started out as an Ice Tank, and I've hit level 30, and Ice is for sure a big tank role. However, I just started a Bow Mental controller, and boy it sure is a lot of fun. We'll see how I like it but I forsee myself really enjoying the controller role.

Currently I am working on my ice brawler and gadget staff users. Was thinking of gadget/bow to try as well. I was a HUGE fan of ice at first, still am, but man gadgets are a lot of fun. They lack the destructive power of mental from the early levels though. My gadget/staff is only 15 or so, maybe it gets better. Mental is a lot of fun, and pretty powerful. My mental user only got to 12, before I moved to ice, but was pretty fast getting there when I didnt even know what I was doing (was my first toon)/

Did Hard Mode area 51 last night with my Ice Tank and man... stuff hits hard. We Fire tank, Ice tank (me), nature healer, and gadgets controller. Controller wasn't giving any power back to the group and it was really hard.

2 of my friends were the Fire tank and Nature healer, so we have a pretty good start to a group, and I'm trying to quickly level this Controller up to switch. Fire can tank everthing, and I suspect that they will get buffed to be more in line with Ice tanking, which currently is far superior.

Mental has been really really fun. Tossing 1 guy up in the air, meleeing down another, and it dies just as the other falls to the ground, and move to that one. Things get a little close, and I have my telekinesis push that throws everything around.

I think the biggest change for me was going from 2 handed weapons, to Bow, which is such a fast melee attack in comparison. It's so stinkin' fast and does huge damage right now. Throw in some instant cast damage spells I have and stuff just falls over dead. It's a lot of fun.

Went through and did the 4 duos last night and got some pretty amazing gear. Did the first two with a controller and the second two with some unspecified DPSer. As a fire tank, my biggest weakness is how much power my skills cost...when I wasn't getting power boosted by the controller, I had a harder time keeping my dps up, because I didn't have the power to do both self heals and dps.

In terms of progression...it seems like to do hard mode alerts, you *need* to be fully geared from duos rewards. In 4 missions, I got 4 major (several stats gaining more than 50 points) upgrades, plus a staff that was a 12dps upgrade over the last one I got while doing the leveling quests. Once you're geared from duos (all gear has level 30 req), you are good to go for alerts. You do enough of the duos&alerts and your get gear from merchants, which is the Tier 1 gear. Once you've got enough of the T1 gear, you're good to do the raids.

I think it helps of course, but I was able to tank the mobs fine last night in Hard mode Area 51. Now that is the easiest one, but it was still challenging, and I've only done 2 duos prior to that. So I don't think you need to be fully geared before you move on, but it of course helps.

Tried to do the batcave with a group of 8 people with some a couple pieces of T1 gear each.

Got raped by the first boss. Out of 4 tries, we got him down to 60% on our best attempt. A fair number of adds and a bunch of spell effects I'd never seen before, plus the main boss hit like a truck. I was the MT to start each encounter, and could go the first 20%, but I was getting hit pretty consistently for 1k+, so the only thing keeping me up was the fact that my fire spells were healing me. Once I had used up all 4 of my Reignition charges, fired my soder, and blown all of my energy, I would get raped within a few seconds. Once I went down, the next fire tank took over while I was quickly rezzed and took over his job, which was tanking the adds while raid dps shifted to killing them. I would get my Reignitions charged up as much as possible, then jump on the boss again when the second tank went down.

All in all, not pretty. I'd say T1 gear is...likely necessary. I don't have any trouble tanking the hard mode alerts that are rated "normal" (Ace, Area 51, Containment, etc), but I haven't tried the medium ones yet.

Ya, I think raids there is a definite need for gear, but not so much for Duo's or Hard Alerts. I think if you are with smart people, you can do them all with regular gear, and it just gets easier from there.

Went from level 10-16 last night. Felt very quick, but I guess it was about 6 hours of play time. Of which, an hour was spent doing an Alert. Alerts are a good break from regular just quest grinding. Fun, and great experience.

I'm really loving the controller though. Super powerful, and the power regen provided in groups is so great. In the Hive instance, fighting Queen Bee. I just spammed bow shot, to build combo's, and spammed psychic empowerment, to give power back to the group. Our main DPS loved it as I could tell he was using every bit of his power too. Healer never got low, and it was awesome.

After doing a Hard Area 51, and having such a horrible controller, I for sure know that I want to be a controller, as they provide so much help to the group. A good controller can turn the tides on a fight or a bad group. If you are an amazing tank, you can do much if your healer or controller are horrible.

Or in the case of my hard Area 51 experience. Great 2 tanks, great healer, but the controller sucked so bad, not giving power back to the group, that it still sucked, cuz the healer had no mana.

A great controller can substitute for a healer when paired with a fire tank. I have absolutely no trouble keeping myself healed as long as I have energy...the main problem now is that the fire spells take so much power that I rarely have enough power left to do anything after enflame/fiery weapons/absorb heat. I did area 51 with a battery controller who just gave me power and rarely dipped below 50% health on even the final boss. The other two in group were generic dps, and we beat that mission faster than I've ever done it.

Mana bitch?

I did area 51 with a battery controller who just gave me power and rarely dipped below 50% health on even the final boss.

Battery controller? I am guessing this is the EQ equivalent of a mana bitch?

Yep.

Even better now that I'm not a necro.

Of course, having to be a twitch bitch was what got me into MQ2 in the first place (wanted to find a way to automate the casting on a target), but still.

Got my controller up to 30, and man, do I like being able to be such an influence in groups. A bad player in a group hurts everybody else, for sure, but sometimes they are not as bad if they have power to spam stuff with. haha

It's true though, I'm a mana bitch through and through. I've noticed right now as well though that just using Telekinesis, which is the first tier ability that gives power regen over time. I don't have to build combo's really at all to build power back up.

Then again, I might not be playing at a top level yet. I can imagine, that ideally I should be building huge combo's, building huge combos, and burning massive power on DPS, and giving power back to the group. I figure if I were doing that my damage numbers at the end of the instance would be much higher.

But.. doing it the way I'm doing it, my group did hard mode Smallville, which is Medium, so who knows.