Who's gonna try out DCOU?

VyralPandemic

(\/)_o_0_(\/) MMOLobster
Reaction score
I was looking into it today, seeing as it comes out tomorrow. Now I dont plan on replacing EQ but it looks almost like fun. After watching enough of the trailers and such I like it more now. I always though you would be playing as the DC Super Hero and that seemed kind of lame, the real set up isnt that bad and could be entertaining for a few months.

I am going to pre-order this after work (can still pre-order till midnight) and wanted to see if anyone else was going to hop on board to check it out. I dont know if they different servers, but if they do and anyone is already playing on one (Beta) post it here. I prefer to play with people that aren't the random total retards you end up with in these games.

Can you make a retarded super hero? If so, I'm in and gonna roleplay the SHIT out of that.

In Living Color

Can you make a retarded super hero? If so, I'm in and gonna roleplay the SHIT out of that.

I think "Handy Man" has already been done. =) But go ahead, get creative.

Well, i was looking it over a little while ago and thinking about pre-ordering, but i haven't been able to connect to the website for a while now. Getting the error message that the remote device or resource won't accept the connection. So it looks like i won't be if this keeps up.

I preordered yesterday.

Planning to make a Hero/Sorcery/HandBlaster/Flight. Haven't decided between Meta and Tech for an origin.

I've got no idea what'll be involved, but I'd be down to get an MMOBugs guild together.

*edit* I have no idea what server names are, so post once you've picked one (before you create a character, though, and get sucked in!) so that the rest of us can go there once it's been chosen. I'll be online likely around 10:30pm EST.

Last edited:
Server

I made 2 toons on Dark Fall last night. I only got through the tutorial on each so no real commitment at the moment. Its PvE instead of PvP. I am generally not into PvP but it was fun on Aion and i think it could be here as well. Usually too many asshats on those servers from the get go so I tend to avoid them, but am open if we get a few people on any server I would be willing to go where ever.

Well thez, judging from what you are saying this game is exactly as I thought. A blatant rip off of city of heroes.

Yeah I won't be playing.

Well thez, judging from what you are saying this game is exactly as I thought. A blatant rip off of city of heroes.

Yeah I won't be playing.

Yeah I won't be playing.

That pretty much sums it up.

He didn't say it was like CoH in his post unless I am missing something. You need to stop prejudging shit. No wonder you are so bitter, you walk around like someone is pissing in your morning Wheaties.

Yeah I won't be playing.

Yeah I won't be playing.

He didn't say it was like CoH in his post unless I am missing something. You need to stop prejudging shit. No wonder you are so bitter, you walk around like someone is pissing in your morning Wheaties.

Burned...

Played CoH up until the latest Going Rogue DLC and played DCUO beta. It is surprisingly very similar. Only other game I would say is a blatant copy is Champions Online (F2P variant), which to some degree is expected as both were made by Cryptic Studios.

I'm curious as to seeing if WB would get a bigger stake into DCUO and have Turbine manage it.

Last edited:
Before I add my initial 2c: I'm on "New Frontier". I'm sorta attached to my guy already, so please...come join me here! It looks like my next major villain is bane, and apparently requires a group, so I'd love some company for tonight.

I only played CoH for a short time (read, played it for a day while babysitting a friend's computer), but this feels sorta copy-ish.

However, I don't remember CoH being nearly so good looking -- DCUO is quite nice to look at.

I've enjoyed the combat so far, even though the early missions are pretty crowded in Gotham right now.

My complaints:
- Mouse is locked in. There's no mouse arrow unless you've opened a window like the inventory or something. This is the most obvious sacrifice made for PS3/PC crossover programming. I wouldn't normally have a problem with that, but I have yet to be able to figure out how to switch between tabs on the chat window, and it's driving me nuts. I tried hitting "tab" a bunch of times, but no go. I'll have to go into the menu and set something, I suppose.

-Combat "combos". I must be missing something. I've bought several combos for my handblasters, but I can't get more than one of them to activate. The first one that I bought was a RH (right mouse button hold) to charge, then release. The next one is suppose to be RC (right mouse button click) x2 to do, but all I seem to get are two of the normal single-click blasts. The third combo, a RH + RC (right hold then right click) just seems to activate the original RH ability without letting me add the extra RC.

-If you right click some items in the inventory, they appear to get destroyed. I got some items in the vault that appeared to only give appearance, and when I right clicked (something that "equipped" for other items), all that happened was a chat notification that they had been destroyed. I get that perhaps the style was integrated, but I would have liked to see a message pop up that told me that I'd unlocked a new style.

- I got stuck one time on a mission where I was carrying barrels out of a contaminated zone. I was flying with the barrel, got into the area, dropped it, and immediately got trapped slightly in the air between the barrel and the NPC who gave the quest. Couldn't get out, had to log out and in to get free. Minor bug, mid-level annoyance. It definitely means I'll be careful with similar situations in the future.

Overall thoughts so far: I like it. I had fun. I haven't done any grouping yet, so I can't speak towards those dynamics, but I definitely plan to play tonight. SOE appears to have an endgame set up, so I don't plan on quitting until I've experienced it. I would have liked more of an explanation of all of the UI windows, but I figured most things out already.

Actually...I lied. After doing a bit more reading, I discovered that telekinetic is supposed to be the highest DPS ranged combat...I might give that a try.

i played the beta off and on but could never buy into it. To be honest it really did feel like a spin off of CoH and i was not impressed. It has the feel of one of the games were you play it for a few weeks and its the same thing over and over. The names change but the game is still the same no matter what you do to me. I was not even thinking of getting the game and uninstalled the beta after a week of playing. Anyone who plays i wish you the best and i hope you enjoy.

Second night of play: stayed with my sorcery guy. Found out the answer to my weapon combo issues: a bug with hand blasters where autoequipping them the first time would cause the weapon not to register, resulting in minimal dps and no combos available. Unequipping / equipping fixed. Combos make my character much more powerful -- I was consistently taking on groups of level 7/8 as a level 6 (later 7) because I could hit for much larger amounts and knock guys back much further. Starting to go towards a healing spec, but we'll see if I like it in a group situation...may end up creating a mental character eventually.

Yeah I won't be playing.

Yeah I won't be playing.

The MMO's class system is nearly identical. If you happen to take something has huge as a class system in a genre as specific as "Super Hero MMOs", then yeah, you are probably going to rip off a lot more.

And judging from others comments I am correct. Quit assuming all assumptions are wrong.

Oh and how do i walk around on the internet? Curious about that one :D

Other forums talking about this game are saying good things. One point that stands out that they are making is that this game actually has an end game. More of a carrot on a stick type thing.

Apparently in CoH, you got all the cool stuff right up front. Cool costumes, your super hero abilities, and so it didn't take long to get bored of jumping from building to building, or blasting packs of mobs.

DCUO apparently draws it out a bit, and then there is the end game. More of a reason to play for longer than a month.

I've not played, but I think I'll be picking it up in the next few weeks to give it a try.