What would cause EQ CTD on my Acer laptop?

shaddrach

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I am not a noob when it comes to tracking this stuff down. But I am fresh out of ideas. So I need help. I will run through system specs and what I have done.

EDIT: Forgot to add I cannot even get in game, I get to char select, hit Enter world it starts to load then crashes right before it would normally come into game.

System Specs:
Acer Laptop Model - Aspire 5253-BZ656
CPU - AMD C-50 Ontario (Socket F1 BGA Dual Core)
RAM - DDR3 4GB (Kingston 2GB per slot, 667mhz - )
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 6250 256mb Onboard
Directx 9.0c
Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate

What I have done:
Manually set CPU Core to 0 and 1 (tried both)
Manually put certain directx files into EQ directory as described by a certain walkthrough.
Set EQGame.exe to run as Admin
Set EQGame.exe to run con compatibility mode (Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows Vista) Tried all and none.
Run EQGame.exe patchme
Start via WinEQ2
Start Via EQLaunch 1.2.0
Reinstalled Video Drivers to most recent via AMD web site
Reinstalled Video Driver to most recent via Windows Update
Run EQ straight from launchpad
Run EQ straight from launchpad - Full Screen
Run EQ straight from launchpad - Full Screen + Disable Avast AV
Run EQ straight from launchpad - Disable Avast AV
Run EQ straight from launchpad - Set Avast to ignore EQ Directory
Run EQ straight from launchpad - Set Exception in Windows Firewall

Run EQ straight from WinEQ2
Run EQ straight from WinEQ2 - Full Screen
Run EQ straight from WinEQ2 - Full Screen + Disable Avast AV
Run EQ straight from WinEQ2 - Disable Avast AV
Run EQ straight from WinEQ2 - Set Avast to ignore EQ Directory
Run EQ straight from WinEQ2 - Set Exception in Windows Firewall

Run EQ straight from EQ Launch 1.2.0
Run EQ straight from EQ Launch 1.2.0 - Full Screen
Run EQ straight from EQ Launch 1.2.0 - Full Screen + Disable Avast AV
Run EQ straight from EQ Launch 1.2.0 - Disable Avast AV
Run EQ straight from EQ Launch 1.2.0 - Set Avast to ignore EQ Directory
Run EQ straight from EQ Launch 1.2.0 - Set Exception in Windows Firewall

I dont know what else to do, any help would be appreciated. Please not when launched from Sony Launchpad MMO-MQ2 loader was NOT loaded (Obviously)

I tried to be as thorough as possible here in what I did do to help those who are trying to help me. If this is the wrong section please move and let me know via PM if you dont mind. If you need a crash dump, please tell me where to find it and I will post it.

If you need more info, let me know exactly what you need and I will post it.

It should be noted, I run EQ on my main PC which is a AMD Phenom 2 x4 BE 3.0ghz with 8GB DDR2 800mhz with no alteration of anything needed,

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Start with the EQ log. In your Everquest directory, under the logs folder, should be a dbg.txt file. Lots of good information in there.

My wife had an Acer laptop and this issue which sounds similar happened to her.

We ended up finding out the on-board audio was the issue. We disabled it in the BIOS and it worked, obviously without sound. She ended up with a new laptop, but that's besides the point. Have you tried updating the sound drivers and/or tried disabling sound?

Hopefully this helps, if not, I appologize. It sounds like you've pretty much covered everything except a fresh format & OS re-install.
Do you have any other PC's in the house you can login from? (maybe the software has become corrupt? Did you attempt a cd / dvd install or downloaded the installation files from the website?)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, I will check out the dbg.txt file and I will for sure try disabling sound, first in game then in bios.

Thanks again, it gives me a place to look.

No prob. Not 100% sure that'll solve the issue.

I'll also keep an eye open for any posts/threads I come across for this type of issue as I frequent alot of game forums.

Can also try having someone else log in the toon and move it to a different zone, or hitting the return home button at char select first.