What Should I Do About Account Sharing?

What Should I Do To Those That Share MMOBugs Account Information?

• Nothing

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Change the username's password And e-mail a new password

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Remove subscription

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Ban them for 30 days

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Ban them forever

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Burned at the Stake!!!

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't ban them outright, I would...

1. Change the username's password and e-mail a new password

Then:
2. Ban them for 30 days
3. Remove subscription
4. Ban them forever and Burned at the Stake!!!

For cripe's sake, it just 20 bucks for 6 months! 5 freakin cents day - you can find that much in your couch or laundry.

And not only do you get a fully complied version of MQ2 with tons of good plugins and macros for several games, you get flame free tech support, a bad ass arcade, an emu server, a radio station...sheesh!

I thought I was cheap.

THis is what would do fry. I would make a post on the boards and put the peoples names in the post saying you have 3 days to send me a pm about this or ban them. let them know that you and everyone knows who they are.

This in my opinion is a touchy subject. I remember a time where I recognized all the names posting on these forums. I voted for the removal of the subscription. Though I feel this is extremely harsh, the reality is the fact that Fry on numerous occasions has tried to kindly notify and make us aware of sharing an MMOBUGS account as being a forbidden action.

Honestly I would like to see this site continueing to grow, not at the expense of its owner, but at our expense, the ones who benefit the most.

This is our site, make it or break it, if you want MMOBUGS to exist during your whole EQ based life, then make sure it recieves the support it deserves. Or pay at your expense having to constantly resubscribe you account until you learn better.

Rubtub: 10
October 26th, 2006 - 12:16 AM
October 26th, 2006 - 12:12 AM
October 26th, 2006 - 12:11 AM

I have explained this would like my name remove from that. Thanks.

They have been warned imo. If they DL from different IP's and or are logging on from difference time zones / countries. They should be banned.

Multiple DL from same IP or same locations should be ok as they may be genuinely multi boxing and require a copy for each PC. But if anyone shares any login / pw for access to a compiled MQ and or Macro to which people work hard to tweak and perfect like Lavastorm MM, TS macro, etc they need to get banned.

The people who work on MQ compiles, Macros and plugins : only way to reward coders is by some sort of prize / gift at the moment, which is bought using subscription. If people are abusing the loophole we cannot afford to reward the people who work hard.
It's just my opinion and you can flame away if you like but I pay for the service here because it is FAST, decent and very good. If they don't want to pay they can get lost:mad:

Some people use different proxies from work.
Some people use proxies because they're paranoid, or dial up, or travel a lot.
Some people play in different places.

You can't just arbitrarily ban people without investigating. It's just not right. Change the password and allow them to continue using the service they paid for, and flag the account for investigation if it continues.

I believe the key is that Fry has to take a diplomatic route, seeing as it's very easy turn off masses of people with a poorly worded warning. Which is probably what this whole thread is about, to draw attention in a subtle manner.

That being said, I agree with the above poster about some people not knowing that it's wrong. However no amount of stickies, bumps, or pms will alert everyone. I've sent some PM's to people that never replied, and I talk to them everyday in the game. They didn't know they even had a PM.

Perhaps setting the default to make PM's show as a popup would help new people know when they have one?

Anyway, changing somebodies password to a defaut one and sending them an email/pm with a tactful reminder that sharing the account is not allowed has been done I'm sure. And if it's still not working, revoke access for a couple days immediatly after a large patch. Maybe to remind them that "this is how the site would be if everyone shared their accounts.... gone".

At the very least it would make them send the .zip to somebody instead of sharing their account. Nothing can really be done about that I suppose, but it would make you warm and fuzzy to just think everyone was honest and stopped sharing their accounts ;-)

I'm sure everyone has their "I got started by using somebodies account / using a precompiled zip / being given a cavity search by aliens / etc" story to justify why. And there will always be those that go in together to have 1 person buy the account, and all share the benefits. Dealing 1-on-1 is probably the most effect manner.

I imagine if I got a personal IM from Fry one day asking me to explain my account usage, it would shake me up just a little. Probably not enough to quit though if I was being adamant or felt the peer pressure from those I had been supplying.

The only other option that comes to mind is supplying an alternate zip unknowingly to those that share accounts, with a nice little surprise in the compile to alert/annoy them as a 2nd warning.

However I don't feel that pulling them out in the public is a good idea. Anyone who really cares can look at the download list, and even then the admins are the only ones who can truely tell if it's being shared or not. But by attempting to call them out in public, especially without 110% solid proof, just alienates otherwise good people. Possibly to the point of removing their own subscription.

If it has come to the point it requires multiple threads, multiple pm's, multiple stickies, and people still don't heed the warnings (after being told it's wrong if they were ignorant of the fact), then perhaps removing them from the loop AND announcing X amount of people have been banned in big red caps would further cement the idea that you are indeed serious about the problem.

[/SALEM]

I feel it is necessary due to reading comprehension, to include this note saying I have not, and do not share my account.

Attachments

• MMO.jpg
    MMO.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 53
i say you have given enough warning. 30 day ban this time next time they perma banned until the pay the subscription fee for a new login. you have been more than fair

Necroman

How many chances?

Really, I understand how people would share what they found here with friends. It's a great discovery for those, like myself, that have never 'bent' the rules in EQ before. I sent a copy of the compile to my buddy when I first found this place, he loved it, now has his own membership. I never shared my access information, never saw the need to. This is an incredible site, and like someone already said, cheap, cheap, cheap. It's great, and worth every penny and then some.
Now for the repecussions of sharing. I think changing the PW and sending an email to the subscriber that they have been warned. IF the do it again, after being warned, should there be a second punishment before banning? I say 'no.' Come on, if you've been warned against it, and then blatently go out and do it agian..../smack What are you thinking? /BANNED I wouldn't feel bad about it, they've been warned by these boards, they shoudl be warned via email...strike 3. boot em. Make them and all their cheapo friends pay for access
These people do great work, they do it fast, and they have great support for all your questions and issues. Give them your money and be happy to do so. If, you want it free, download MQ2 and compile it yourself. If you want what these guys have to give you, give them their due.

Great job here guys,
Vyral

Gondola said:
Some people use different proxies from work.
Some people use proxies because they're paranoid, or dial up, or travel a lot.
Some people play in different places.

You can't just arbitrarily ban people without investigating. It's just not right. Change the password and allow them to continue using the service they paid for, and flag the account for investigation if it continues.

Once again, in these circumstances - its fine.

Its when we see people who go for a world wide trip from New York, to Canada, then off to Japan. All in the space of about 30mins, that we start to wonder.

No-one has been straight out banned, everyone will and has bee given a chance to explain themselves, and if thats the case then they should have nothing to worry about.

We have some pretty serious I.P tracking here, so things like Proxy's and such really dont phase us.

Its quite simple, this is only going to affect those people that are sharing their information - if it isnt you, then sleep easy :)

I am the destroyer of man, so let me ban them. :D If they have been given warnings and even had thier passwords changed and still non-compliant, give em the nerf-bat! And for all you that proxy, for peats sake the NSA already knows where you live, what color car you drive and even the type of underwear you wear on any given day, so stop being so paranoid. Proxying only makes you look more suspicious by the fact your "trying" to hide where you are, it doesnt take rocket science to back track a proxy, but it does take a decent sniffer. Get real you sharing pukes or get lost.

As I was reading this thread, I was thinking on some of these guys that I bet they use a DL accel.

So just for S&G's, I grabbed the compile from the thread using flashget set to 5 parts, and sure enough:

Code:
[URL="http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/member.php?u=3457"][B]htw: 5[/B][/URL] 
          [IMG]http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/images/lustrous/misc/paperclip.gif[/IMG]  October 26th, 2006 - 05:07 PM
          [IMG]http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/images/lustrous/misc/paperclip.gif[/IMG]  October 26th, 2006 - 05:07 PM 

So, for some asking why anyone would need to download it that many times, look at the "time" the downloads show up also... there are a couple people (at least) in that list, that this looks like why they show up that way.

I have discussed with Fry my side. I too, was shown the light by another member here. It wasn't until recently (about a month ago) that I realized that sharing accounts was against the rules. I love this site and even though I don't use any of the main hacks etc, I don't know what I would do without the map and target functions.

Yes, I was using another persons account. But in turn that gave me the chance to see what it was all about. Personally, if another friend of mine wanted to try it out, I would talk to Fry first and let him know that it's basically a trial thing. Who really wants to spend money for something that they don't know a thing about? I know if my friend didn't let me use his account and try it out, I would not be a member today. I also plan on paying for a lifetime membership here shortly.

Those of you knowingly taking advantage of the system need a wake up call, and I feel that banning them is too extreme. I think people should all PM Fry the way I did, and explain to him why you were sharing and what you plan to do about it. He was very understanding of the situation, and a nice guy to talk to.

Well...I think ya ought to canx their subscription...

I think a better question would be why the F#$* do these people need this downloaded 3+ times.? even one downloading a total of 10 times.

Now...I never gave it any thought...but I typically DL it to 3 computers. All with the same root IP addy however. I figured you used IP addy info to determine PW sharing. Since ya don't...I will DL to one computer from now on. I do think IP checking is the way to go tho...just my opinion.

I may have DL'd something at work before too...another guy on the massive DL list I recognize cos he's FUCKIN RETARDED enough to use his in-game name and know he uses a lot of computers.

But I do think if you are sure they are sharing PW's...they ought to lose cash...which is just as good as money! I don't share shit when it comes to something so dear.

Edit: Another thing is I will reDL a file if the tread looks like the original has been updated....very common for me to do after a patch...I have DL'd the new compile several times on the outside chance /warp is working....

A little off topic but if you are using your ingame name or want a username change please private message me the new name you want and I can change it.

Fry.

slappy33 said:
I figured you used IP addy info to determine PW sharing. Since ya don't...I will DL to one computer from now on. I do think IP checking is the way to go tho...just my opinion.

All instanced of multiple downloads are checked vs ip addresses. Its not being determined by just download numbers.

Always think we should give a second chance

Change info 1st with a warning if they give out the info again they will lose the site. Also give them the chance for a 2nd account at a cheaper rate?

I'll add my 2 cents in here. Number 1 account sharing with your friends is wrong, no matter how you look at it. I run a website for collectors and I charge membership fees to help support the site and I don't appreciate people sharing accounts with the exception of families.

I personally have a family of 4 who all play EQ. Between us and the kids (who all live in the same house), we have 12 computers. Sometimes it's easier to just download per system, other times it's easier to download once and then move it to all of the computers. Since we don't always play at the same time, our computers get updated at different times.

Of course, my IPs will all be from the same area, same network.

You can prove someone is sharing, send them a warning. After the warning, lock their account until resolved.