What Should I Do About Account Sharing?

What Should I Do To Those That Share MMOBugs Account Information?

• Nothing

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Change the username's password And e-mail a new password

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Remove subscription

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Ban them for 30 days

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Ban them forever

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Burned at the Stake!!!

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Account sharing is one thing, someone is selling the ZIP from here on player auctions. I would think that might be even a worst offense there making a profit off some one elses work.

put in your own authinication system that checks screen name and registers your ip every connect.

I personally have a family of 4 who all play EQ. Between us and the kids (who all live in the same house), we have 12 computers. Sometimes it's easier to just download per system, other times it's easier to download once and then move it to all of the computers. Since we don't always play at the same time, our computers get updated at different times.

OMFG you are raising hackers!!! :eek:

Wish my mom had been that cool :D

slappy33 said:
OMFG you are raising hackers!!! :eek:

Wish my mom had been that cool :D

That is too funny. Actually we have our own family guild too. Needed the bank space LOL.

I ran out of bank space in my personal guild. freaking tradeskill items

Absolutely no doubt about that. Our entire guild bank is just for tradeskill items, especially since the artisan charm is out.

I think it's simple to fix. Give them options. First offense, a PM with a warning. Second offense, change their password and send them an email with the new info and explain why this has happened. Third offense, 30 day ban, from the point of the next new eqgame.exe patch. Fourth offense, they can either accept a death penalty per say, or pay Lifetime membership times however many different IP addresses have been identified as using that account. Some system does need to be worked out though. That's just my opinion though.

When I first found out about MMOBUGS I was so excited that I shared the good news about this site with some guildies which resulted in me giving my account to 3 other people. One of them liked the site so much he bought his own subscription. The other 2 used my account until a few days ago when I changed the password and now they are buying there own and both of them agreed that it was little to ask and had no problems.

MQ2 and especially the macros, tips, hints, general chat and feeling that the ppl on this site are helpful and of a like mind make paying a subscription a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

I would say send them a warning email and if they dont act then suspend their account.

As for multiple downloads I actually have machines all over the place that I install MQ2 on each month. I work at 2 client sites where I keep a PC with EQ installed on for when I am working long hours and can run a trader / forage etc. I also run 6 PC's at home and sometimes its less hassle to download the zip rather than share and copy the damn file around.

Just posted on this topic in anther thread here but did not get into the multiple d/l issue. I have 3 home computers that are basically EQ machines plus one that my son plays WoW on and occassionally will use it for EQ. I also have a portable that I travel with and is actually the main one that I will control my bots from. It was much easier to d/l the compiles and macs on each computer. However if that is a issue I just picked up three 2 gig memory sticks in China for $20 each so swapping the files around will be much easier now.

I suppose many people won't like this idea but could you limit the d/l to either a ip address or limit the number of times it can be downloaded.

If so then set the number of d/l's for monthly/lifetime subscribers then allow lifetime members to up their limit by paying a little extra for each...

Fry said:
I really couldn't care less if people download 10 copys... that’s what you pay for. Bandwidth isn't a huge problem...

burglar.jpg <-- Fry, incognito

The admins have stated time and again it's not an issue of how many times you download.

One person downloading 50 copies = Ok
One person downloading 50 copies from multiple IPs = Flagged*
Two people downloading 1 copy each = Not Ok

*Flagged = chance to explain yourself. There is no insta crucifying.

Edit: I just realized I didn't read the entire thread before posting. BAD POSTER! These thoughts have already been explored - sorry.

For people who run multiple computers my guess is that downloading it for each is the lazy way rather than download once then send to other towers. At least in situations where they are all hooked up to the Internet, but not networked together. This is my situation with my two towers, but I play EQ on only one. I see stories of people with 12 or so accounts. If you run 2 accounts on each, that alone would be 6 downloads.

I'm just guessing - not saying this is right or wrong. Now that I think about it that is more traffic for MMOBugs though. In the past I have downloaded the zip, then tinkered around with the files to the point where I needed to restore the entire MQ2 directory but tossed the zip. That marked me for 2 downloads of same zip. Guess I better stop that. heh

I was wondering a while ago why you were tracking and publishing download scores. Good idea.

My Thoughts.. First I don't think FRY cares if you download it 100 Times. What the ADMIN gods are saying is that Downloading from Different IP addresses within a few minutes or a few hours and the IP address are Thousand Miles apart. That is plan and simple your sharing your account with someone else. Don't try to explain you hope a JET and flew across the country and downloaded it at your friends house where you were playing.

Second if your doing this. your password will be changed and Emailed to you.

Third If your caught again 30 suspention

Four Do it again Don't bother coming back.

I have spent the last 6 hours going through logs for the site. I have 41 accounts that show major signs of account sharing. If your login information is not working, use this link to get your new password.

If your e-mail address was invalid you’re going to need to contact me to get access again.

Fry.

Last edited:
This kind of worries me as I tend to log in on three different computers in 2 different states. I'd hope you'd at least send a pm inquiring before a isp ban. Then again I only download crap on my home pc and laptop.

kcw said:
This kind of worries me as I tend to log in on three different computers in 2 different states. I'd hope you'd at least send a pm inquiring before a isp ban. Then again I only download crap on my home pc and laptop.

I doubt you have mastered traveling at lightspeed and travel between these 2 states at times which would be frowned apon.

Its been made very clear before, and throught this topic, that provided you are doing the right thing, you wont have a problem.

Its when someone logs in from 2 diferent IP's across state within 20mins of each other, when it would take you 2hrs to get between the two that we have a problem with.

nice lol

nice yoda i like watching fry be smacked around p :D as far as sharing accounts i know your ip.s casue i been check for fry! too!

UMMMMM OK

Well guys here is my take.

i was one of those no good rotton heathern scumbags that was using someone else's account info. while it was wrong and i knew it was not proper to effectively steal the information from the MMOBUGS community i was looking at it in the wrong way. NO EXCUSES because excuses are only reasons covered by lies. i did have the intent to buy a membership after the first month when i realized the people that spend time to write these
wonderful programs are much higher on the cybor food chain then i could ever hope to be, as well as the fact that without the support of the members, this site would fade into darkness. when it was pointed out to me rather sternly i might add, that i had not supported the site as i should have, i corrected the situation without delay. i bought the life membership and was glad to do it.

so here is where i sincerly ask for forgiveness from Mr. Fry first and formost as he is the one was most harmed from my actions, further, i respectfuly request forgivness from Psycotic, WickedMofo, Cobalt, as well as the rest of the mmobugs community. i know it may seem hollow and without substance when i say i have not given my account info nor will give the information in the future as if the dog eats your oatmeal once more times than not he will do it again, however i assure you my fellow members, i will not.

if amends need to be made, other than what i have done already by buying a life membership please let me know and i will endever to make things right by you guys.

again i am deeply sorry for my actions.

Well From the Sounds of It I like what Fry is doing.. He damn sure isn't being SOE where they hit you with the Ban STICK and make u cry for days. I like that fact that FRY is taking his time and being very open and nice about it.. Bammm reset password and force people to contact you.. Then tell them straight up you are suspected of account sharing and this is how I can tell.. This is a warning and you need to never let it happen again. either you correct this action or I will be forced to ban you.. WOW and I accept the guys apology and this is what it takes then so be it...

may be I am just rambling here but that is what you get for letting me Drink Coffee this early in the Morning while I am still tired. WEEEEEE... SMACK DOWN... fry if you ever need assistance Emailing and Contacting people let me know.. I wanna be the bad guy..... Call me the enforcer 225lbs of pure pissed off Army Guy who has Gas will make anyone run..

WOW wtf am I talking about here no Idea... but oh well was fun just to ramble...

FYI.... I know about my Typo's it is my fault I don't like Spell Checkers it is my fat fingers that do it all..