Veil Of Alaris Progression

Effico

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Came back to EQ after a 30 month break approximately 3 months ago and working my level 85 toons through HoT group progression in that time.

i`m looking for some advice and pointers on Veil of Alaris and in particular gearing up my toons.

They all a mish mash of HoT Tier 4 and some VoA T1 (Bazaar bought) but now i want to properly group gear them for my ascent through VOA progression.

My questions are, will the rewards from progression tasks alone gear me up to a decent level to complete the expansion or will i also need to break off from progression and camp some named mobs in specific zones?.

I haven`t actually set foot in VoA expansion yet because i really just wanted to concentrate (and enjoy HoT Group progression, which i did).

I do not have endless hours to play at my disposal so i prefer to chart my progression first and have an idea of what i need to do and where i need to be.

My warrior is my prime character and concern. He buffs up to 65k hps and 6300 ac and is now level 95. I know he will need work for T3 and T4 but i`m wondering if that`ll come naturally by folowing T1 and T2 group progression or if i will also need to farm some namers?.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eff.

Last edited:
Mileage varies but my group of level 90 toons had a tough time initially with VoA, even T1. Shit hits hard! I actually didn't venture into VoA until the anniversary mission allowed me to level them all to 95 the relatively painless way, and I was able to pharm enough plat to buy significant upgrades.

At 95 and with decent gear six-boxing the entry level zones became very doable.

I'm one that hated the language progression aspects of VoA. Yeah, I know that sounds whiney. But given a new xpac incoming, I'd skip the whole VoA thing and jump straight to RoF, depending on doability, of course!

I'd skip the whole VoA thing and jump straight to RoF

well that may exclude the mobs that will be closer to lvl 100 or 100+...................., maybe there will be some lower lvl content but not sure if VoA was bending over at t4 for anyone in the beginning.

t4: Sepulcher , Pillars....... how many folks do u guys think did hunter in these zones or even 1/4 of the named in those zones................

If you have the plat buy a full set of cultural ( T3.5 ) gear for your warrior. It was about 250k and varies by server.

VoA has some pretty boxer unfriendly missions. If you get stuck on one just skip it.

As you do progression you'll find that there are a couple missions that are fast and good for farming. I'd suggest doing these over and over until you have what you need in the way of spells.

The named in VoA seemed to be pretty hard even at 95. It took getting the newer AA's , and spells.

Bottom line is try it! If you get owned you'll know it.

I'd skip the whole VoA thing and jump straight to RoF, depending on doability, of course!

If you are group geared, especially if you are a tank type or melee class, the only way you'll be able to skip and do next expansion is by gaining the next expansions cultural armor right off the bat.

This is assuming the RoF expansion follows the same pattern that has been occurring -- newest expansion tier 1 is equivalent to tier 3 of old expansion.

Casters have an unfair advantage ofcourse where they don't require much gearing at all. You could buy the glowing reis crap armor in bazaar and get away as a caster. Not so much for a melee toon.

If you have the plat buy a full set of cultural ( T3.5 ) gear for your warrior. It was about 250k and varies by server.

I have a load of plat.

Where do i get cultural armour?. It`s something i`ve never looked in to. I always assumed that it needed tradeskills at maximum to produce. I assume it is player sold?.

Can you tell me the exact name of what i should be looking for or even a link where i can educate myself on it.

Great reply btw, thanks.

Last edited:

Edit/

Checked Bazaar and it seems they are all entirely purchasable.

These would be massive upgrades for me as i`m currently running around in circa 1600 hp gear (that includes various 100 to 150hp augs).

Got myself a full set of visible armour which added approximately 4800hps and 300ac. Now to improve the invisible slots.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Last edited:

VoA has some pretty boxer unfriendly missions. If you get stuck on one just skip it.

As you do progression you'll find that there are a couple missions that are fast and good for farming. I'd suggest doing these over and over until you have what you need in the way of spells.

The named in VoA seemed to be pretty hard even at 95. It took getting the newer AA's , and spells.

Bottom line is try it! If you get owned you'll know it.

i took this advice for my ranger and monk, and they both sitting PRETTY good.

as far as some UNFRIENDLY MISSION these come to mind: time and tides, two sides of the stone

REPEATABLE MISSION:rebel assault, rescue rangers, NECRO CAN EVEN SOLO reclaiming argath. a quick mission to do and get PHAT AAXP is A QUESTION OF INTEGRITY ( tell Mea Treg /say i will find him // find kar < becareful sometime named near this guy > // kill and loot wyvern skull // turn in skull // talk to meg...BAM 5 - 12 AA'S ), IN underfoot U CAN DO the mission in pellcid.... Filling the Repository to gain Super PHAT AAXP, i think it give from 4 ( 4K aa or more ) to 30 if under the AAcap of 4K

as far a named: there are some pretty NASTY ones in the, i still have difficulty with them on my SK who is Raid geared, and it normally take me to call for /help on some ( one that comes to mind is Saduulj Tsepir
Named alaran. Hits 21.6k and casts Discordant Riff, a 45k dd and 14k dot.
Drops Golden Shield Earring, Bassy Mandola of Tsepir, and Silvern Aegis-Shaped Earring.)

GL on your new journey

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I`ve hit a bit of a crossroads with progression as now i have 73 Alaran it seems to have opened up 3 different branches in which to progress in to T3.

Rubak Oseka, Beast`s Domain and Resplendent Temple all now have tasks that begin with 73 Aalaran.

Am i required to do all 3 sets of tasks in each zone to get me to 81. Can anyone recommend which to do and which to avoid?.

Are there any more suitable for boxing?

Thanks.

Rubak is the easiest of those to box followed by beasts and then Temple..dont remember exactly what gets ya where but you probably want to do all 3 of them depending whatv you are wanting to achieve. i personally stopped at 90 really no reason imo to go past 80.

In tier 3 Rubak Oseka and Beasts' Domain each grant 1 point for finishing your first partisan task in the zone, 2 at the 4 partisan/missions, and 3 for finishing them all. Resplendant Temple is the same, but gives 4 for finishing the zone. All total tier 3 is worth 10 points, bringing you to 85 skill.

Lastly for tier 4 City of Bronze grants 1 point for doing your first partisan task or mission in the zone, 2 at the midpoint, and 3 for finishing them all, while Pillars of Alra, Windsong, and Sepulcher give 4 each for finishing the zones. All total tier 4 is worth 15 points, bringing you to 100 skill for finishing all tasks and missions in the expansion.

http://home.comcast.net/~mathadon/Guides/VoA/Lang.html

Rubak is the easiest of those to box

really the one w the zealots priests 3 simoultaneous clicks, adds at end trying to reach water while u still tanking priest

had a hard time w that one................

Rubak is the easiest of those to box

really the one w the zealots priests 3 simoultaneous clicks, adds at end trying to reach water while u still tanking priest

had a hard time w that one................

Still haven't done this one for my main or my boxes.
It's such a pita and I would say impossible to solo box?

Isn't there an easy quest in the next expansion that gets you to 100 Alaran?

It looks like an alternative to progression for the solo player. You can't successfully complete the combine unless you have 100 Alaran. For every 10 pages you collect and fail to combine you gain 1 Alaran. I wonder how long it takes to gather the 10 pages.