Seperate EQ directories

seductive_words

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Quick question about making separate EQ directories.

The problem I am running in to is that when in beta, the patcher downloads a new UI, and some updated existing old files. So when I switch from beta back to regular EQ, i have to re-patch every thing and redo my UI.... then I have to do the same thing if I do back to beta from regular EQ. It's getting most annoying. So What I was hoping to do is crate 2 EQ directories. However if I just copy my folder from one hard drive to another and run everquest won't it still use all the files from the original directory? Isn't there something that I have to edit so each everquest.exe will use it's own directory files?

As long as you run the Game from separate directories you shouldnt have to edit anything, just make 2 different shortcuts if thats the way you do things.

it will only load and therefore patch the files from the directory you actually run the exe from.

Create a folder named Beta somewhere, create a shortcut to the exe file in that folder and use that for Beta. Your main EQ install will remain untouched.

Is it advisable to run multiple eq directories for each bot instance? Just curious how this relates to performance issues.

I run 2 copies, one for my main, that has most of the graphics and stuff turned on, and one for my bots that has almost everything turned off. I mainly do it for the seperate settings you get. If you have different physical harddrives to read from, that can help as well.

Depends on how many your trying to run off one directory I suppose. I have performance issues if I try to run more than 3 off one directory, but I've not run into anyone else who had that problem.

The big reason to run a separate directory is so you can turn sound off, minimize graphic settings, etc without impacting your main, imo.

while running wineq2 you can set up different ini files so you can have everything or nothing turned on depending on the session running. With that aside 2 directories for same version of eq is not typically going to speed anything up unless they are on different drives.

Yea I have 3 hard drives in it, c: gets the swap drive, d: gets the loaded eq and e: gets the light eq (also a slightly slower drive cause I was cheap that day). Runs real well. I also use different keys for a few things so wineq which I do run, I do not think would help me completely.

Hmm. So I could have different eq.ini's basically for settings and still use only one directory?

Sorry to bring up an old post and sound dense .... But just to be clear ... i can copy and paste the EQ folder, then create a shortcut to the EQ.exe from the new one and run it seperatly from my main install, correct?

Yes, I just keep one named eqgame.exe and one botquest.exe (skip patcher). One has graphics on high for my main, all the rest are bare.

For regular EQ (not normal + beta like the OP said), there's really no benefit to having multiple EQ directories.
Use WinEQ2, and create profiles for each of your toons.

Reason im wanting a 2nd directory is that lately when i try to load up EQ while i already have it running, i get the EQ.exe error message and it closes down the one i'm trying to load. haven't been able to box at all lately and it's seriously killing the DPS i usually put out.

Reason im wanting a 2nd directory is that lately when i try to load up EQ while i already have it running, i get the EQ.exe error message and it closes down the one i'm trying to load. haven't been able to box at all lately and it's seriously killing the DPS i usually put out.

That error is usually related to video/virtual memory.

Yup, not a file issue, it's memory related.
Check out the guide to optimizing EQ, and it'll stop that nonsense :p

I sometimes have a similar problem as Rooster, i've found that loading all instances of EQ to the character selection screen then running a RAM optimizer helps alot and prevents this.

BB