Running Everquest under ESXi

Wendel

Reaction score
Hey folks, was just wondering if anyone has tried to run Everquest under VMware ESXi 5.1
I know that it supposdly works under vmware fusion, but I am trying to get it running on a windows 7 host on my ESXi 5.1 install.
I actually converted my laptop to a guest on the machine and it works perfect, but when I try and launch eq I get a message that my graphics card is not capable enough for this game"
I did some searching with google, but couldn't find anything specific to ESXi.

I was able to get into game using VMWare workstation 9. I had the same problem as you. I had to enable 3d graphics (with the VM off).

I'm guessing esxi supports it (they probably support full virtualization of the graphics card).

thanks Rob, I had already done that. I guess I"ll just try installing a fresh copy of windows 7. I was trying to take the easy route and just virtualize an existing machine.

I'll let you know if it works...

Btw, you might wonder what kind of nerd would do this lol

I bought a Mac Mini and decided I would put ESXi on it so I can play around with it at home. I upgraded the ram so I can install Mac OS, Windows 7, and might even be able to load up a test copy Server 2012...

SOLVED... turns out my install of VMware tools didn't complete... I re-ran the installer and what do ya know... it's working! This is going to be awesome for some of my 5th and 6th string toons!

What kind of performance hit will you take running a VM ?

Your biggest limitation (as far as i know) would be the video card displayed is pretty limited. I think it has 256mb of ram and only a few small actual 3d features.

I'm sure Wendel will be able to give you some real world feedback.

Thanks for this, was trying to do it last night.

Perfect way of running an offline trader account :)

the performance is pretty shit actually.
you can only allocate 128MB for video ram.
I can logon, and join a group, and that's about it
So yes, it would be okay for a trader, but you would still have to do everything on a real box first and then just be patient... I've stripped down the graphics on this and it's still painful to even join a group :/

I was hoping for much better performance.

Still tweaking it, but doesn't look like it's going to be viable for combat or healing.