Running EQ Emulator as Lan Only but over the NET!

JTPlayah

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I've been playing around with EQ Emulator for a short while now but didn't want to make it available to the Public. I just want to learn the ins and outs of setting one up and making changes to it, adding NPCs, Merchants, creating new zones using OpenZone etc.. There is a lot to figure out unless you want to just run a canned version. You can do this by locking your server and logging in as a GM. You can advertise that it's private but if it's listed in the server list, people will be able to get on as everyone's name's and password's are setup thru eqemulator.net's site for access to the servers that are setup thru their login server (ie: Host = eqemulator.net 5998). But, say you want to setup an Emulator for just you and your friends to ACTUALLY PLAY on but not be GM's and not have to have your friends come to your house, setup their cpu's, run network cables etc... Well, there is a way to use MINILOGIN (The Lan Only Login Server) but have your friends stay at their house and connect to you via the internet.

How can you do this you ask?

It's called HAMACHI.

It's an Encrypted VPN Software. Download and install Hamachi http://www.hamachi.cc . You can use the FREE Version with up to 16 players (More than enuff for just friends). When you setup Hamachi, you can CREATE your own Network with a password. Just give that Network Name and password to your Friends and once they install Hamachi on thier computers, they can JOIN your network. They will get an individual IP Addresses. Plug that address into the EQ Emulator Database and then they can connect to your server. They will have to put YOUR Hamachi Address in the eqhost file (ie:host=6.25.117.128:5999) and for the one running the server, you would set it up as you would a normal MINILOGIN type connection, except don't enter your LOCAL LAN IP's, use the Hamachi IP Address instead. It works great. I didn't have to open any extra ports on my router for any of it. It's encrypted and only the people that know your network name and the password can get in. To login to your Emulator, they can use ANY anme and ANY Password on the Login Screen because their Hamachi IP address is what actualy is their login. Plus, ONLY the ones that KNOW your Network NAME and Password can connect to you. (I would turn ON the option to Block Vulnerable Microsoft Windows Service) If you don't run Hamachi, they can't connect to you, so YOU control it. You can get the Subscription License for $39.00 a year if you want Bells and Whistles for Hamachi. With Hamachi, you KEEP the same IP address everytime it logs in, so the Server admin won't have to keep changing the users login ip's.
The only drawback is that you have to play the same toon from the same computer. You can't go to another computer with a different Hamachi IP address and play the toon that you played when you first started. If you GET a New Computer or have to play from a different one, the Emulator Admin can change your ip login and your toon/toons will be there.

Hope this is usefull to some of you...

Sounds like a cool little program.

I have always just run open servers, you usually wont get many people logging into an unknown server unless you advertise it abit.