Ranger Weapons

jetmarine99

Premium Member
Reaction score
What would maximize DPS as far as crafted or group gear weapons for a 95 Ranger? I have played since release and have tried a couple things and Im not asshamed to say honestly I dont really know what gives the max dps. Should I go for dmg or ratio, blunt or slashers. I really could use some advice being that my character is pretty much aa capped I really want to get the max dps i can.

Since ranger weapon skills all max out at the same level IMO it does not matter if you use Slash vs Blunt vs Pierce etc. Though dual wield will always net more dps unless your using a raid 2 hander vs group 1 handers.

Personally I go with the best ratio (dmg/dly) which for non-raid weapons for VoA would be:

Both offer a ratio of 3.9583 (95/24)

Then, rather than using a proc augment I would go with the with highest dmg augments I can get into each one. Those are:

Cacophonic Shard (10 Damage)
and​
Perpetual Sharpening Stone (8 Damage (+1 Fire Damage))​

This will give you final ratios of 4.375 and 4.2916 (4.333 if you count the +1 Fire Dmg). I use the higher ratio weapon in my primary.

I think this setup would be the best DPS for a group geared ranger with Max AA's. 13k DPS should be achievable without using disc's or AA's, just spells.

To maximize your spell DPS, I'd use the following spells in this order
  1. Swarm of Sand Wasps
  2. Vespid Swarm
  3. Announced Shots
  4. Focused Arrow Swarm
  5. Rime-Laced Wind
  6. Beastwood Ash
  7. Summer's Squall
Recast each DoT as it fades (unless the mobs almost dead).
Recast each nuke/arrow spell as they come up except Summer's Squall.
For Summer's Squall, I cast it every time I use Jolting Crescent Kicks. Depending on your tank you might be able to do it 2-3 times between Jolting, but that eats the mana too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch, I have been using glorious 2HB and figured that it could be better, its high damage but slow delay being a blunt

2 handers are great for the "wow" effect getting high crits, but when comparing similar level 2 handers to two 1 handers, dual wield wins.

now i don't play a ranger but if you are simply looking for ratio then

Axe of the Exalted 1HS ID: 128512
MAGIC LORE NO TRADE
Slot: Primary, Secondary
DMG: 83 Delay: 21 Ratio: 3.95
Poison DMG: 1
AC: 66 HP: 2040 + 6/tick MANA: 1939 + 1/tick END: 1939 ATK: 28
STA: 30 STR: 32 WIS: 10 INT: 19 DEX: 22 AGI: 48 CHA: 25
SV FIRE: 50 SV COLD: 61 SV MAGIC: 25 SV POISON: 37 SV DISEASE: 53
Damage Shield: 2
Damage Shield Mit: 2
Shielding: 2%
Spell Shielding: 1%
DoT Shielding: 1%
Stun Resist: 1%
Avoidance: 9
Accuracy: 5
Combat Effects: 7
Strike Through: 3%
Heal Amount: 10
Spell Dmg: 13
Clairvoyance: 39
Proc Effect: Stunning Strike III
1: Decrease Current HP by 290
2: Stun for 1s up to level 95
Slot 1, type 4: empty
Slot 2, type 20: empty
Required level of 95.
Class: WAR, RNG, BRD, ROG
Tools: Compare
Mob: The Exalted Ser Alsa Thel in Sepulcher of Order

with the 8 damage aug would be 4.333 not counting the 1 fd for off hand

&

Swift Dagger of the Blacksmith Piercing ID: 128522
MAGIC LORE NO TRADE PRESTIGE
Slot: Primary, Secondary
DMG: 79 Delay: 20 Ratio: 3.95 Backstab DMG: 47
AC: 55 HP: 2041 + 3/tick MANA: 1934 + 2/tick END: 1934 ATK: 23
STA: 30 STR: 30 WIS: 46 INT: 15 DEX: 42 AGI: 12 CHA: 13
SV FIRE: 52 SV COLD: 42 SV MAGIC: 53 SV POISON: 53 SV DISEASE: 25
Damage Shield: 3
Damage Shield Mit: 1
Shielding: 2%
Spell Shielding: 2%
DoT Shielding: 1%
Stun Resist: 2%
Avoidance: 7
Accuracy: 7
Combat Effects: 5
Strike Through: 2%
Heal Amount: 17
Spell Dmg: 23
Clairvoyance: 17
Skill Mod Backstab: 12% (Max: 34)
Proc Effect: Calming Strike III
1: Decrease Hate by 640
Slot 1, type 4: empty
Slot 2, type 20: empty
Required level of 95.
Class: WAR, RNG, BRD, ROG, BST
Tools: Compare
Mob: Blacksmith Julandi in Erillion

with the 10 damage aug would be 4.45 ratio for primary

Again i do not play a ranger but strictly speaking ratio is better with these 2 weapons

1. Swarm of Sand Wasps
  2. Vespid Swarm
  3. Announced Shots
  4. Focused Arrow Swarm
  5. Rime-Laced Wind
  6. Beastwood Ash
  7. Summer's Squall

I dunno man, I experimented with this and too much time was spent casting rather than shooting. i cut it down a bit and that increased bow output. Rangers aren't meant to be casters.

Swarm of Sand Wasps
Vespid Swarm
Announced Shots
Focused Arrow Swarm
Rime-Laced Wind
Beastwood Ash
Summer's Squall

Only use Announced Shots, Focused and Summers Squall (sometimes get a little aggro but have plenty of options to lower aggro) maybe the tot dot one

Id love to get a FEW Axe of the Exalted....)for diff toons) but that zone is a bitch and that mob location sucks ass

Oh come on, that mob isn't that bad... I have a to camp 3 more, fml

1. Swarm of Sand Wasps
  2. Vespid Swarm
  3. Announced Shots
  4. Focused Arrow Swarm
  5. Rime-Laced Wind
  6. Beastwood Ash
  7. Summer's Squall

I dunno man, I experimented with this and too much time was spent casting rather than shooting. i cut it down a bit and that increased bow output. Rangers aren't meant to be casters.

The dots are instant cast, and only done once a fight (for trash).
Everything else (but squall) has a long refresh, and half a second cast time.

Casting one complete set (all 7 spells) is only 2.5 seconds. then about 30 seconds before casting again (except Focused). Mind you I do this when meleeing on group content. This is not meant to be a Bow burn setup.

But on the other hand, my bow is a 25 delay (Unhasted, 1 shot every 2.5sec) even with max over-haste you should have 0.5sec between shots to cast something.

I haven't don'e long parses with different setups, but I am pretty sure that I output more DPS using the setup I described than not casting them.

i am curious what the best bow/quiver setup for headshotting would be?

Use Throwing items for headshotting with 15 delay on them is the fastest way to headshot to burn down mobs.

If you don't want to summon throwing items the fastest bow is the Bow of the Destroyer at 17 delay.

But a bunch of Well Balanced Throwing Knife's from the Mysterious Belt of Daggers work great. Summons stacks of 100, with 15 delay

And good luck getting that bow. Dargan is permacamped.

4 to 5 day spawn w no guarantee of it dropping

have heard folks wanting it for months (yrs) and never snagging one

ive also heard of guilds or grps of friends rotating watching for named to not loose a spawn

that said, recent headshot nerfs make it so less and less rangers are out there headshotting 24 7 and the desire for bow has dropped somewhat

I'd say the desire for low delay has gone up, since the Arrow spell line can only Headshot your current target.

don't forget also that Range Atk isn't effected by triple atk, at best you'd have double atk (with bullseye desk running dmg bonus to bring it on par with triple atk)

alot of times as a ranger I will start a round with buringing bullseye, click epic and chest, with couple of aa disc's & auspice...once that's faded switch to second set of disc's and finish with third or second spire depending if I need to go to range or melee atk...but don't run auspice with third spire

for casting I use a couple of dot's, three nukes and use voltile arrow in the mix as well when needed...

on alot of raid targets you'll usually find me with a 1h / shield equiped...for the added ac bonus...as i'm using a bow no biggie, if I need to do melee, bandolier is my friend

atm in VoA T2 raid gear I'm raid buffed as a 95 Ranger at 83k hp, 8200 ac and about 5300 atk

I'd say the desire for low delay has gone up, since the Arrow spell line can only Headshot your current target.

maybe so but depending on the Arrow spell, it can trigger a headshot on the mob 2 to 4 times in one round and with finishing blow maxed you can concevably do a headshot at the begining of a round and a finishing blow at the end

also with vinelash cascade it's very easy for Rangers to CC a group pull as long as the mobs are root / snarable and if not event the Fluster / Bluster Bolt lines help with that as well

I experimented last night and it looks like anything with .5 second cast or less will increase your DPS while melee.

I really appreciate the advice guys, I got one of the T4 weapons that was suggested last night and I have figured out after all of these years that I need to not be so focused on having such a high DMG weapon ha-ha.

This is a basic example without using real numbers

High DMG Weapon lower delay hits for 4000 4000 4000

Lower DMG faster delay 3000 3000 3000 3000 3000

You hit for lower amounts but swing many more times. This also increased DPS from my Tiger proc casted by the Shaman

The other issue my toon probably has is that I am AC geared. I like being able to tank when I have to, I think it is fun being a Ranger that can tank T4 nameds. I believe that this has lowered my DPS compared to some others because some of my offense stats are a bit lower maybe, but that's ok.

Aside from heroic stats, in full Tier 4 gear everything should be Max. (or close to it)