pickup truck owners

kirbanmanaburn

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I need a truck. One that's going to do OK in the snow (winters are harsh where I live and the roads out in the country don't get plowed very quickly), one that I can haul a lot of stuff around in (but not bricks or anything super heavy) and one that doesn't get horrible gas mileage because I'll be commuting into the city with it. Reliable is good, too. I've never owned a pickup in my life and I was wondering if anyone here who drives 'em might have some advice with what I should be looking for in buying one.

This is going to be a quite biased opinion. Chevy diesel all the way. I can not speak much for the newer ones( like the last 15 years), but my 83 suburban 6.2 L and my 84 6.2L with supercharger were great. Both were 2500's. They handled just about anything thrown at them with great ease. Friends had 88 and 93 ones. Diesel is at times expensive, but with green fuel gaining momentum it will be easier to switch over a diesel to use this fuel.

Dodge trucks seem to have gotten better, but I can not comment on them.

If your worried about snow make sure its front wheel drive(yes they do make those). Or if you can afford it 4x4.

Other than that personally i am a huge fan of Dodge 1500's

Even thought I don't have a diesel one I can back the chevy one! I own a 2003 chevy silverado Z71 and I absolutely love it. I'm able to get up to 24 on the highway and can still tow very nicely. It's a 5.3 liter and gets about 300 HP to the ground and can tow I think up to 9.5k pounds which is quite a bit. Not to mention 4 wheel drive iw ownage!! Like I said never owned a diesel but I agree 100% on chevy!!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention have almost 100k miles in mine and have not had one thing wrong with it. I know it's not a lot of miles now days but it's nice that only time I have to take it in is to get an oil change!

Last edited:
Look at Toyotas. For the money, they're the most reliable, fuel efficient 4x4 pickup you can get. American made 4x4 trucks are dependable, but you're going to pay out the ass in gas money comparatively, and if you're still in NYC - gas cost should be a big factor.

GOGO TOYO

yuppers i just bought my first truck last year ( toyota extended cab w/ 4x4) and i must say that out of all the cars i've owned that lil pickemup is my fav. i live in michigan so the winters get shitty here too...i picked mine up w/ 125k miles for 1600 bux....so look around...the things a champ and everyone that i've takled to that's owned one still miss's it /nod...g'luck

Not gonna be in NYC. Farmland in Cecil County, MD at a high elevation. commuting to baltimore sometimes. But 24/gallon highway sounds not half-bad.

If your worried about snow make sure its front wheel drive(yes they do make those). Or if you can afford it 4x4.

Other than that personally i am a huge fan of Dodge 1500's

Why would you want FWD in the snow??
Im not saying there isnt a reason , i just dont see it

FWD cars/trucks get better traction. The engine weight over the front axle creates better traction for driving conditions, versus rear wheel drive which don't have any weight distribution effecting traction on the rear axle.

Traction Control > All

Surprisingly, my '07 Silverado 2WD does great on the snow and ice.

It must be a front wheel drive.

Never try to take a rear wheel drive truck on ice. Ever. Trust me. There is like 100lbs of pressure holding down the tires haha. That aint much.

Why would you want FWD in the snow??
Im not saying there isnt a reason , i just dont see it

Like that other guy said, the front wheels have a ton of weight on them to keep them on the road. The back wheels because of the design of a truck have very little weight. My rear wheel drive truck can spin out very easily on dry roads. Its useless on ice.

Never try to take a rear wheel drive truck on ice. Ever. Trust me. There is like 100lbs of pressure holding down the tires haha. That aint much.

Nah, I just shovel some snow in the back and throw in some bricks. Good to go.

mines not FWD and does badass on snow / ice, course i put it in 4WD when there is lol

I dont think your gonna get a 1/2 ton fwd truck. Dodge had issues with there transmissions that may have been fixed not really sure. I have had a ford f-150 for 10 years and love it.

If you know how to drive in snow, it doesn't really matter (I drove a 6.2L Chevy Diesel, RWD, in the lake effect snow, and ice, of Michigan and never had problem one). If you don't know wtf you're doing, get a 4x4, and remember...it helps you go better, you still stop the same, so don't hit the gas because you can!

Depending on the amount you're hauling/pulling, go with a Diesel engine. They're efficiency doesn't change as much as gas under load. If you're in a cold enough climate, make sure you have a block heater!!

If you're going new, I'd hit an F250 Power Stroke. IMO it's one of the best Diesel's out there. I've never been a fan of Dodge...sorry.

If you're going used, just pick up a ford or chevy diesel that's been taken care of, those damn things will run forever...unlike their cars.

BC

No one knows how to drive in snow and ice. Anyone that claims they do is a fucking moron. Its to unpredictable, at least ice. Snow is manageable with understanding but once that under layer of snow is packed into ice and it re snows on it its all luck and defensive driving.

as for recommendations get something with all wheel drive. Subrau or something along that line.

If you want a truck stay with ford (F150s are nice) as they are the only one the government doesn't already own.

I was waiting for JJ to deliver the goods on this one, haha.

I'm gonna test drive a few Fords and Toyotas, I think. Doubtful I'll get a brand new vehicle, but will probably buy used from the dealership so I can get an OK warranty.