No comments about map range limit?

bort777

Reaction score
Can't target things more than 300 units away.

This is majorly annoying and very annoying when trying to determine specifics of certain mobs.

Is there a work around for this? This has been base MQ2 functionality for like 10 years.

I made a comment in release thread.

MQ2 range is going to get nerfed in official version of MQ2. Daybreak is able to log anyone who targets pc's/npc's more than 300 distance away. The range has been limited in our release for only ragefire/lockjaw for this latest release.

Htw was working on how we'd handle it on our end, and got surprised by this patch and wasn't able to finish the code. We will more than likely add a work around for those that don't want it, just give us some time to sort out some bugs with this patch and then get a work around written for this. I'm sorry for any problems caused.

I still don't know how the official version of MQ2 is going to do it.

Thanks very much for the helpful and prompt reply Fry.

And I apologize for posting another thread on the same issue in a different forum, feel free to delete.

I will take the chances tbh that DBG can detect me, as I don't do it that often, as I'm pretty careful about when and why I target things. Glad to know it's being looked into. You guys are worth every penny easily.

MQ2 range is going to get nerfed in official version of MQ2. Daybreak is able to log anyone who targets pc's/npc's more than 300 distance away. The range has been limited in our release for only ragefire/lockjaw for this latest release.

Good to know (as someone who doesn't read the release notes.)

I'll be happy to have this safety feature (with available workarounds) for the regular release. I don't do it often, but was just doing last week looking for a quest toon.

Legit cross zone targetting

Just to point out a way you can legitimately target mobs >300. Eye of Zomm/Talon and Bind sight. You can jump through pretty much any mob in the zone. Used to be called "Wizard Tracking" back in the day...

Just to point out a way you can legitimately target mobs >300. Eye of Zomm/Talon and Bind sight. You can jump through pretty much any mob in the zone. Used to be called "Wizard Tracking" back in the day...

You're also required to cast a spell prior to such a target taking place. I think some people don't realize that legitimate ways of doing things can be filtered out.

When this goes live the radius restriction will not apply for mobs in line of sight only for mobs you can't see or target without mq2. In other words if you can click on it in the client you will also be able to /target it. I think I will make a setting for it in the macroquest.ini that defaults to 300 if you want to risk getting banned for targeting cross zone feel free to change that to 600 or whatever you feel you need...

The details of this is not ironed out yet I'm still taking on feedback and so on about this, but it will happen and when it does its to protect mq2 users.

And about eye of zoom wouldn't it's max radius be same as a players?
Basically if you have line of sight with your eye of zoom you will be able to /target with it, but that's is interesting I'll have to test that obviously.

Last edited:
ah I wondeerd why I couldnt click on the fake cazic thule :p
if /target can differentiate between the "fake" boss spawns and prevent my targetting, is there a way for mq2spawnmaster to differntiate and only trigger when the real raid boss spawns?

Last edited:
Assisting an npc or a pet lets you target with an unlimited range also. While I understand that may be hard to do, it's not impossible and would in effect be targeting >300 yard range legitimately. Wouldn't that in itself through a flag? Assist isn't bound by line of sight either.

Can't you also put a target on Extended Target, lock it, then move >400 locs away and target something else and then target what you already have on extended target.

Also if you turn up your clip plane all the way, I know I can left click target something over 400-500 locs for sure, its tricky sometimes but doable and is the only means of targetting as /target won't reach that far.

You can't target untargetable mobs with our compile (unless you override it). Core release doesn't block it, but ours does.

As far as making any other plugin act the same way, yeah that's doable, and I could add it to spawnmaster (with an option to disable it of course).

For exceptions to /tar range, those exceptions are easily testable. In order to break the theory of them busting people (or at least flagging for review / watch), all they would need to do is check your loc, new target loc, and are there any valid exceptions (group member, pet, etc.).

AFAIK, based on our convos, once this is active, we won't 'nerf' it - it would just likely be default, but of course, would need to be tuned for proper range, LOS, clipping plane, various exceptions, all that. It would also be able to be changed via /mqrange (that's in our wiki, although I tured it to default unlimited like a couple years ago).

Don't worry about us sticking you with a nerfed down version - how you 'cheat' is up to you. My 2c.

htw

Can't you also put a target on Extended Target, lock it, then move >400 locs away and target something else and then target what you already have on extended target.

Also if you turn up your clip plane all the way, I know I can left click target something over 400-500 locs for sure, its tricky sometimes but doable and is the only means of targetting as /target won't reach that far.

600 range was max you could target with /assist and targeting via los things past that range don't populate accurately for loc either.

Ahh, if you get time please fix mq2spawnmaster then :) I like to make audio triggers for raid boss pops but with all these fake ones I had to stop them.

What year as it that they removed stuff from map that was past the 600 range in an attempt to stop some stuff?(could be wrong on this wasn't actively playing at that time)

I wonder if this is the first step to go back to only allowing part of the map/npc list to populate based on distance.

Ahh, if you get time please fix mq2spawnmaster then :) I like to make audio triggers for raid boss pops but with all these fake ones I had to stop them.
Just wanted to mention, in case it wasn't seen in notes - I added this in from last release. MQ2SpawnMaster will alert based on your global MQ2 setting for allowing untargetable (i.e., by default with our compile, it won't alert you to mobs you can't target with the client).

htw